Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thanks Laurent!

You mentioned that on one of my other covers. I wonder if it’s the way I’m removing the bass part using Audacity? I have to find a better way to eliminate the original bass.

4 Likes

yeah maybe you could try to remove less of the original bass track, on a more narrow frequency range

3 Likes

I have stated to use the Transcribe+ app which breaks the song apart into drums/bass/vocals/instrumentals and then just drop the bass (or listen to just the bass for reference).
It doesn’t work on every song but when it does it pretty amazing how it does it (fairy magic and voodoo I suspect).

2 Likes

I have Transcribe! . Is Transcribe+ a different version?

2 Likes

The app for iPhone is, I believe different to the PC based. But not sure how.

Until a week ago I had no idea the app split songs up like that.

Here is the app icon and the part that pulls songs apart

3 Likes

How about some hard drivin’ southern rock?
@Lanny Lanny, this one’s for you.
@howard I gently used the Bass Clone: I hope you notice the difference.
It’s a fun song, and it was fun writing the bassline and playing it.

Played on the Hofner with LaBella flats.
Dunlop Tortex 1.14 Flow pick

Train Train - (pampurrs.com)

10 Likes

Awesome. I left a comment on your website also.
I think it was great, only complaint was that I think the song was a little too high, and / or the bass down a little low. I would have liked to hear your bass line a little more in the mix.
TBH, because of not hearing the bass line punch thru as much (my ears, they kind of suck, so take this with a grain of salt), I was not able to notice if your bass tone benefited from the Chorus or not.
Great job, love how you create bass lines and make the song you OWN, and you own it.
Loved the video, glad you didn’t get ran down by the passing train. :wink:

3 Likes

I also love the way you present the song, giving the origin, what it means to you, and even the Where are they Now, or what else have they done.
I know others do this as well, I just think you give a little extra in that department, but I do not mean to take away from anybody else here.

3 Likes

Thanks for your feedback @T_dub Toby. I tend to mix the same way a sound engineer would. In other words, I don’t over saturate my bass into the mix. Hopefully it sounds like it would if it was a recording or if it was played live.
I often get criticized for this on my covers, but its just the way I do it. I know this thread is about showing off our bass playing, but I’d prefer to show off how well I can serve the music with my bass.

3 Likes

Great job @PamPurrs. So creative.
Love the original bass line you did.

4 Likes

Thank you @John_E. I really love creating my own bass lines and playing them. It’s very rewarding…

3 Likes

Hmm, the bass was a little low in the mix for me to be able to pick out the effect, sorry! However what I heard did sound good. Just couldn’t telll it was chorused.

Which is a fine use of the effect too! It doesn’t have to stand out.

4 Likes

Great track and nice job @PamPurrs
Sometimes it’s just good to be a redneck even if you’re way down south in Oz :+1:

3 Likes

Very cool @PamPurrs! Great song choice and very well played indeed. Enjoyed the backdrop also.

3 Likes

Guess the SOUTH is the important factor in that. :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Its not really a criticism, and in the normal mix, that would be the way to do it.
Maybe you could release a separate audio track, with the bass punching thru, just for this thread so we could hear the bass standing out.
And not with saturation, just with the volume level on the song track turned down a little.
You don’t have to of course, it is your cover, just for me, I would love to hear your bass standing out to appreciate your tone and effects mostly.

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

great cover @PamPurrs and as always an impressive video clip production :grin: the bass is a bit low in the mix but what’s sure is that those Hofner work well with a pick and a rock track.

5 Likes

Hi Pam, @PamPurrs,
I left comments on your website,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Really good, @PamPurrs . . . :+1:

Your production skills are amazing!

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes