Post your covers! (2019-2022)

I noticed that a lot of older songs seem to have the guitars tuned to A444 instead of A440. At first I was confused why Rocksmith tuned to A444 but then noticed that it just tunes exactly for the song you are trying to play.
Then again as it doesn’t sound off all the time from what I gather here I think the mode explanation is more likely.

Oh and I also don’t really hear it but my hearing is not the best either. So I thoroughly enjoyed it :wink:

5 Likes

Your videos just get better and better, Pam @PamPurrs . . . :slight_smile:

Great bassline, great videography, and great new bass!

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

I listened again and I really only noticed it while Krieger was riffing, like around and after the 1:00 mark. I think it might be his guitar or something he is doing with it.

As I said, overall it sounds great, well done Pam.

6 Likes

There are some off note parts courtesy of the guitar in Hound Dog by Elivs (this month’s 50s100c) as well. Not many but a few.
I bet it is more common than we know in older tunes until we all try to play them in tune.
It’s interesting how they seem to have been mixed somehow to work for their final output but then don’t work when covering.

6 Likes

Yeah it’s super interesting and totally makes sense in the context that they were trying to make a song, not provide a platform for people to rip out the bass and play along with the band :slight_smile:

So if it was convenient to speed up or drag the tapes slightly to help mix parts, or if the solo guitarist was a little out of tune when they were the only instrument playing, or if everyone is out of tune so they can tune to the singer’s voice (which I bet has happened more than once), why not?

Totally understandable, really. The recent trend of playing covers over original backing tracks is not exactly the kind of thing someone keeps in mind when mixing a song.

6 Likes

Here’s a quick and dirty cover of Robert Palmer’s ‘Addicted to Love’. Simple beginner’s track, but handy to give the new Sandberg a spin.

https://youtu.be/MHLxEBT1MAs

12 Likes

Another great cover @PamPurrs . The time and effort you’ve put in to all of your covers is really great motivation for the rest of us.

5 Likes

One of my favourite tunes @sfadams . A real blast from the 80’s :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Well done @sfadams
That’s a lot of quick licks!

5 Likes

Great job @sfadams.

This was one of my favorite songs and video back in the MTV days.
https://youtu.be/XcATvu5f9vE

4 Likes

Thanks @PamPurrs. You are kinda to blame for this. It was when i saw your Doors video backdrop with all the ladies, I was reminded of that Robert Palmer video!

5 Likes

@PamPurrs So, our friend Glen just confirmed @howard @juli0r @Noisembryo 's theory about old recordings…and perhaps why on modern recordings you don’t here it as much…

5 Likes

As soon as she started playing it threw me off balance and I know why. Yes, her performance is a bit flatter sounding but that’s not the main issue.

This is how original goes:

G|-------------|--------------|----4------|
D|----4-----4--|--------------|-----------|
A|-2-----------|-----5----0-1-|-2---------|
E|-------2-----|-3-----3------|-----------|

And she’s playing this:

G|-------------|--------------|-----------|
D|----4-----4--|----2--1------|----4------|
A|-2-----2-----|-2--------4-2-|-2---------|
E|-------------|--------------|-----------|
1 Like

I’m getting to like Glen more and more every time I watch one of his videos. He’s rough around the edges, but quite informative and entertaining.
I love his shirt: “Professional Turd Polisher” LOL

7 Likes

Very well done @sfadams ! Great tone.
:+1:

4 Likes

I said it on your site, but will say it here too as it is well deserved…

ALWAYS awesome Pam! Great song selection, great videography (I am envious of your talents), and also as always, great playing. Love the new bass as well and the color matching headstock.

5 Likes

Me too @PamPurrs! What young man wouldn’t love Palmer’s “bandmates” in those little black dresses? LoL

Yes, good job @sfadams !

4 Likes

Played very well, great tone. I felt your presence with your fret / mute technique. Sort of Very aggressive right hand and then fretting to a point, just that point, the right point, then backs off to the next note.
I really liked the way you played that, I think it brought alot to the song.

4 Likes

I absoolutely adore Glen. I started watching his VC shows, which are viewer comment. He gets really good questions, to dumb questions to outrageous questions of statements thrown his way.
He is actually pretty calm the whole video, just when soebody does or says somethig stupid, and if you havee ever paid attention to his show, he screams. “Oh for the love of CROM, what have you people been doing while these videos are on. Obviously not watching them”
He throws in pretty fowl language, that bothers me in no way at all.

HE IS A WEALTH OF SKILL and INFORMATION. And he made all the mistakes he yells about, and he plays bass, and ht puts on an entertaining show, because if it were not, many people wold not watch him.
He is doing hit community a huge service by treating young people who want to be recording tech’s, and loads them up with tons of “What Not To Do”. and “15 things you are doing wrong”. Something he back ups by saying, I am NOT Immune. I made all of these misteaks, some of them I made many times until I figured it out.

This is what the channel is for. He does a great job, AND, other then tossing around sensless Bsss (and drummer) jokes (that he picked up from working with plenty of shitty bass players in his day) amd drummer insults, and insults at the singer’s GF, and insults at any GF in the band.

Sure he rants all that stuff, but he does so where appropriate, tactful, funny and adds to the show.

Just my opinion, but I hve since watched tons of his vid’s, and he is very personable guy. I like him, and I would proudly wear a Rule #2 shirt. And if I ever got on a stage with a band, I would wear it, for sue

6 Likes

Thanks Toby! I understand that the original bassist on the track was none other than Mr. Bernard Edwards. If I’m even within 10 miles of his ballpark, I’ll take it!

6 Likes