Post your original songs/compositions!

@howard Yes, I was surprised by it too. I had already a real acoustic guitar organized which I could’ve borrowed today. When the follow up came I cancelled, because I was very happy with the VSTi sound. The strumming option is what makes this work IMO. It doesn’t sound as good when one just plays midi notes. With the strumming options one chooses chords to fret and a strumming pattern for it.

Will work on a rough translation of all 4 verses. (just wrote the first verse here because it was more about the chord progression)

1 Like

Don’t worry - I didn’t take it as such! Good luck with your project - you are on a good track… in any case, to go through with what you are doing at the moment, is such a rewarding experience and you learn so much!

2 Likes

A bit of background info on my DnD party and this song:
My Bard is called “Stedd Lautenfein” which roughly translates to “Stedd Lutefine” and that’s also the reason for the name in soundcloud. The picture of the party sitting there was drawn by our GM and is actually our party not some random fantasy image from the web. So the bard sitting there is Stedd. The one sitting in center is Giddi.

The song is about one of our party members, Giddi Sutten. He is called “Captain” in the song, but isn’t really one. He’s kind of the loudmouth in the group and thinks he’s a hero and leader, but really really isn’t and the only one who can’t see that is Giddi himself. He’s kind of a poor mans Jack Sparrow or something. So the “Captain” thing is a kind of running gag because he keeps telling people he is one and everyone knows he isn’t. Still - my bard decided to make him the hero in his song, because my bard wants attention for his music, but surely doesn’t want the attention of a potential hero slayers or some such.

In recent game sessions my bard seems to have established himself as quasi-leader. I think because he usually has no quarrel with the group and tries to find a solution that fits everyone. Just… what a good leader does.
Also the vampire in the party confided only in Stedd.
The party might decide otherwise when they find out what he does to enjoy himself, but I digress.

Captain Giddi Sutten is not really a Captain, but a loudmouth and good guy when you don’t take him too seriously.

Original German lyrics:

(Verse - Strumming Pattern A - Joint Venture like)
E (I)                       B (V)
Captain Giddi Sutten war im Kampfe
E (I)                     B (V)
Und teilte starke Schläge aus
E (I)                  B (V)
Ich spielt nur meine Klampfe
E (I)                        A (IV)
Und das Schlachtfeld war ein Graus

(Chorus part 1 - Strumming Pattern B)
F#m (ii)
G#m  A (IV)
Dank Schneid und Schild
G#m iii  F#m (ii)
Lebt er (noch)
G#m iii  F#m (ii)
Lebt er (doch)

(Chorus part 2)
A (IV)
Doch...
B (V)
Im Schild war ein Sprung!
    A (IV)
Und dann stand er wieder 
                A (IV)
in der Schmiede und sang:

Ich schmiede mein Schild! X X
Ich schmiede mein Schild! X X

Captain Giddi Sutten war im Walte (Walde)
Er wollt' nur schnappen frische Luft
Schurken kamen aus 'ner Spalte
Wollten ihn bringen in die Gruft

(Chorus)

Captain Giddi Sutten war auf'm Berge
und suchte schicke Erze
Da wüten saure Zwerge
wollten Giddi an sein Herz äh

(Chorus)

Captain Giddi Sutten war Zuhause
Ihm wurd das all's zuviel.... 
(fade out)

(fade in) ......
Auf ihn fiel ein Klavier
in seinem eig'nen Revier

(Chorus)
(Chorus - part 2 only)

Very roughly translated English lyrics. Keep in mind a lot of word choices were made so it fits into the rhyme in the original, which is missing in the translation. It’s always A-B-A-B except for the last verse with the fade out. There it is A-B-C-C.

(Verse 1)
Captain Giddi Sutten was in battle
dealing out some hard blows
I was just playing my guitar
and the battlefield was a horror

(Chorus part 1)
Thanks to (his) vim and shield
He's alive (still)
He's alive (yet)

(Chorus part 2)
Yet
The shield had a crack
and then he was standing
in the smithy again and sang:
I'm fixing my shield! X X 2 3 4
I'm fixing my shield! X X 2 3 4

(Verse 2)
Captain Giddi Sutten was in (the) forest
Just wanted to breathe some fresh air
Some miscreants came out of a cleft
wanting to bring him to his grave

(Chorus)

Captain Giddi Sutten was on a mountain
and was looking for nice ores
Then came some angry dwarfs
Trying to rip his heart out (erm..)

(Chorus)

Captain Giddi Sutten was at home
He just had enough of all that...
(fade out)
(fade in)
On him fell a piano
In his own territory

(Chorus - repeat part 2)

Also a few mentions of words/meanings that were hard to translate:
“Klampfe” - It means guitar, but it’s a colloquial word. I haven’t found an equivalent.
“Schneid” - It’s not even commonly known in German. In fact the person playing Giddi Sutten has asked me what it means. It’s a strange mix of courage, strength and a few other positive attitudes. The best I could find was “vim”. Not sure if I use it correctly here. Also “Schneid und Schild” is a nice alliteration that’s now missing, but there’s a lot of places like that.

What actually doesn’t work in both languages is the “Spalte” / “cleft” part. I used “Spalte” which doesn’t really work when talking, but in the context of the song it works. Just used the first translation for it. It’s just that suddenly some miscreants emerge. It doesn’t really matter from where, but “Spalte” was a rhyme.

I am also strangely proud of the rhyme “Erze” und “Herz - äh”.
“äh” = “eh/erm” so it’s just a filler, but that filler causes it to rhyme. It kind of is cheap, but it’s exactly the style I imagine.

Okay, I stop explaining how much better the original is compared to the translation. Enjoy.

4 Likes

Recently got a Focusrite Scarlett that came with Pro Tools First (low end version), so I decided to also get a cheap midi keyboard to play around with. I do not play keys at all, but I was able to look at a keyboard chart and figure out the basic notes to my original “Cosmic Wave.” Had a blast trying out different sounds, and it gives the song a whole new vibe. I would love to add a keyboard player to my once a month band, but they seem to be in short supply!

3 Likes

And here is the new music video for that tune…

4 Likes

@TK-421
Let’s move it here as to not fill up the thread in which Josh looks for contributions to his video.

A Hammond would fill the gap I’m talking about and as I don’t know where you want to take it I don’t want to suggest specific things but what I wanted to say is: I started writing a song in the middle of the course and you can see the progress in this thread.

You also don’t necessarily need to know how to play other instruments. I used a virtual guitar plugin for mine and if one uses the strumming patterns instead of just using Midi notes it’s surprisingly good. Maybe others could but if I didn’t know I could not tell the difference from a real guitar. I think instruments with keys could be even better so I could imagine importing the drumtrack into reaper, recording the bass line and then adding whatever you want with a synth or plugin.

You may think it cheating but you can always go the extra mile after you have composed the song. It also makes it easier to experiment and move parts around.

1 Like

So this appears to be the day I’m coming out of my bass closet. 3 basslines shared in less than 24h :laughing:, It’s the first time I’m sharing such things with fellow bassists.

Ok this one is my first attempt at a collaboration with a friend. It’s still raw (and with a lot of issues including bass faking guitar parts) and for drums you have a 50hz pulse :joy:, but I really want to know what you guys think and possibly get some suggestions.

6 Likes

This was the very best compliment you could have given me for this song. Thank you so much.
I’m not sure how much you read of my explanation and inspiration for the song but that is exactly what I had in mind. Thank you so much! I said thank you, did I?

Very cool setting! I’m doing my first D&D session ever with some friends over on discord.

Ahaha. Don’t mention it.

Anyway, would love to listen to it with vocals!

1 Like

I’m working on it! About to start singing warmup routine!

Although I actually might have reached a stage in which it would be viable to record a session. Maybe first post a vocal cover for feedback and if that’s good enough start working on recording the vocals.

This deserves a half-drunk (or inspired from some arcane divine figure) choir behind the lead voice!

1 Like

It’s as if you perfectly tuned in to the vision I had for the song. This is so amazing. I’m in awe and so proud of my creation.

I was already before but your words are music to my ears! (eyes… whatever)

1 Like

I’m a blues guy at heart, my initial reason to take up the bass was that no one ever had the time to play so I picked it up to record these songs. Who knew I’d fall in love with the instrument.

4 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

Wow, these are great.

2 Likes

I like the filtered voice

2 Likes

Thanks all, its all new to me, the recording, playing bass, never sung before. I play guitar and write lyrics…old dog, but new tricks

1 Like

Very nice work @terb,
Dark with nice overlays, love the guitar work.:+1:
It’s a big YES from me.:+1:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Hi @gcancella,
Very nice work, love the subtle flow with peaks of power.
Bass and guitar chugging along parallel very nice.:+1:
Love the Black Sabbath thunder at start and finish.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes