Post your original songs/compositions!

@Gio
Pain Au Chocolat: Wow! Everything. Just wow. I love it!
Nice that you found people to make music with!

@JT
I’ll leave the constructive criticism and help to other people. I really liked the bass line you started with and enjoy seeing the progress and tips.

@Jazzbass19
Would love to see something from you. I assume it would go in the jazz direction. And cyber-stuff is a topic I feel comfortable with so if there’s a specific barrier you aren’t able to overcome I’d love to help.

@1kurosaki2
Ik stink: That reminds me of my punk garage band times. Good times. Am I translating that title correctly? “I smell”?

WilJe… what?: As you said - more bass driven. I like that.

Ode aan Pitt: Phew. I barely understand what you are talking about, but I’m working on it. Thanks for writing out that explanation. Liked this song the best of the 3.

@Vik
Nice song! Sounds fun to play. Hope your enjoying yourself and keep 'em coming :wink:

@Lanny
We Will Survive: Dunno what it is, but the video keeps buffering for me. Managed to watch half and like it so far. Could be that I’m hearing a better mixed version than was talked about in a few posts, but I think the bass is prominent enough.

Drainin 'da Swamp: That was great! Enjoyed that melody.

Phew. That took longer than expected. So many different styles and approaches. Thanks again to everyone!

4 Likes

Ha! You put your time in today! Thanks @juli0r for such a thoughtful and thorough review of the thread!

3 Likes

Ha! No, not quite, @juli0r . . . but thanks for your comment :slight_smile:

My user name comes from ordering my Jazz Bass on the 19th of the month, not from any interest in “jazz” itself :grin: (I’m more of an Entwistle Apostle)

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

I love this more than I can even explain. I neve had anyone create a song for one of my games but I did have some ladies do an extended dance. It was awesome to be able to play with folks that wanted to contribute whatever they could. Kudos to you @juli0r. I’m looking forward to seeing how it all develops.

2 Likes

Wow, you have been busy… :grin:

You know, back then, I wasn’t really concerned about these things… I just wrote what I thought sounded “good”… that said, I don’t think it ends on the root note; I hear it as ending a minor third up from what I would think is the root.

4 Likes

@joergkutter Oh, it wasn’t meant as critique. I just was curious wether my ears betrayed me. If I would describe the feeling while hearing it I would compare it to an open ending of a story I’m into. Could be that’s the thing you went for or it’s just me.

So. I actually started and once I did I couldn’t stop myself from stealing ideas everywhere. I’m having so much fun and get a lot of encouragement from the party. I finished the lyrics and it turned out exactly how I imagined. I chose a key for the song to be in and experimented with chord progressions until I was happy.
Found a rythm for the vocals in the different parts I liked and then well… let’s just say I don’t sing often.
Anyway, after take 100 and also keeping my girlfriend awake because I didn’t notice that it was around 2:30 I’m still not happy enough to show it to anyone, but at least it gradually got better.

What I’m willing to publish is what I got so far with drums, lyrics and chord progression which I arranged in reaper with a virtual guitar. Oh right - I decided to make it a pure percussion/guitar track since it should be playable in a tavern with a single stringed instrument.

The drumtrack consists of 3 sounds with beats on 1-2-3-4.
2 different drum sound sets for a “studio” version and a tavern version
Sound A: Hammer on anvil 1 / Hand on table - lute body tap 1
Sound B: Hammer on anvil 2 / Mug on table - lute body tap 2
Sound C: Sharpening a sword / Slide Mug to other Hand - scratching lute/not sure
and it just goes A-A-B-C through the whole thing except in the “fixing my shield clang clang” part.

Lyrics and chord progression:

(Verse - Strumming Pattern A - Joint Venture like)
E (I)                       B (V)
Captain Giddi Sutten war im Kampfe
E (I)                 B (V)
Teilte starke Schläge aus
E (I)                 B (V)
Ich spielt' nur meine Klampfe
E (I)                        A (IV)
Und das Schlachtfeld war ein Graus

(Chorus part 1 - Strumming Pattern B)
F#m (ii)
G#m  A (IV)
Dank Schneid und Schild
G#m iii  F#m (ii)
Lebt er (noch)
G#m iii  F#m (ii)
Lebt er (doch)

(Chorus part 2)
A (IV)
Doch...
B (V)
Im Schild war ein Sprung!
    A (IV)
Und dann stand er wieder 
                A (IV)
in der Schmiede und sang:

Ich schmiede mein Schild! X X  2 3 4
Ich schmiede mein Schild! X X  2 3 4

I’ll give a rough translation of the lyrics if anyone is interested.
I want to leave the “I’m fixing my shield” part without music because that’s the part that should be shouted by everyone in the tavern.

In the verse the word which rhymes always comes on 1 with the chord change often resulting in a pause for the vocals - almost same reason as before: can be shouted by everyone in the tavern even if only roughly knowing the lyrics.

I’m very happy with how it turned out so far except for the fact that I can’t sing and need vocals. If I get around that problem or good enough anytime I also plan on recording an ambiente/live version with shouting people singing along.

The only part we already got and I don’t wanna change because it’s already stuck unfortunately takes 5 beats so that’s why I added the 2-3-4 in the lyrics. It’s the change I can live with.

Edit: I replaced the song, because of a timing error. It seems there is still something wrong with it. I will check it tomorrow.

4 Likes

I cannot WAIT to hear this with lyrics.
Great work on everything.
Cool chord progression, has that jaunty pub-chant vibe to it - brava.

Having a part with a few extra bars or beats is perfectly normal for folk sing-a-long tunes. Lots of them have strange things when you think about it from a technical stand point, because the singers/writers never thought about writing it down - they just thought about what would sound good.

Looking forward to the next draft.

4 Likes

Wow the guitar VSTi sounds amazing.

2 Likes

Yes. I am interested. I, too, am looking forward to hearing this with the lyrics.

1 Like

@howard Yes, I was surprised by it too. I had already a real acoustic guitar organized which I could’ve borrowed today. When the follow up came I cancelled, because I was very happy with the VSTi sound. The strumming option is what makes this work IMO. It doesn’t sound as good when one just plays midi notes. With the strumming options one chooses chords to fret and a strumming pattern for it.

Will work on a rough translation of all 4 verses. (just wrote the first verse here because it was more about the chord progression)

1 Like

Don’t worry - I didn’t take it as such! Good luck with your project - you are on a good track… in any case, to go through with what you are doing at the moment, is such a rewarding experience and you learn so much!

2 Likes

A bit of background info on my DnD party and this song:
My Bard is called “Stedd Lautenfein” which roughly translates to “Stedd Lutefine” and that’s also the reason for the name in soundcloud. The picture of the party sitting there was drawn by our GM and is actually our party not some random fantasy image from the web. So the bard sitting there is Stedd. The one sitting in center is Giddi.

The song is about one of our party members, Giddi Sutten. He is called “Captain” in the song, but isn’t really one. He’s kind of the loudmouth in the group and thinks he’s a hero and leader, but really really isn’t and the only one who can’t see that is Giddi himself. He’s kind of a poor mans Jack Sparrow or something. So the “Captain” thing is a kind of running gag because he keeps telling people he is one and everyone knows he isn’t. Still - my bard decided to make him the hero in his song, because my bard wants attention for his music, but surely doesn’t want the attention of a potential hero slayers or some such.

In recent game sessions my bard seems to have established himself as quasi-leader. I think because he usually has no quarrel with the group and tries to find a solution that fits everyone. Just… what a good leader does.
Also the vampire in the party confided only in Stedd.
The party might decide otherwise when they find out what he does to enjoy himself, but I digress.

Captain Giddi Sutten is not really a Captain, but a loudmouth and good guy when you don’t take him too seriously.

Original German lyrics:

(Verse - Strumming Pattern A - Joint Venture like)
E (I)                       B (V)
Captain Giddi Sutten war im Kampfe
E (I)                     B (V)
Und teilte starke Schläge aus
E (I)                  B (V)
Ich spielt nur meine Klampfe
E (I)                        A (IV)
Und das Schlachtfeld war ein Graus

(Chorus part 1 - Strumming Pattern B)
F#m (ii)
G#m  A (IV)
Dank Schneid und Schild
G#m iii  F#m (ii)
Lebt er (noch)
G#m iii  F#m (ii)
Lebt er (doch)

(Chorus part 2)
A (IV)
Doch...
B (V)
Im Schild war ein Sprung!
    A (IV)
Und dann stand er wieder 
                A (IV)
in der Schmiede und sang:

Ich schmiede mein Schild! X X
Ich schmiede mein Schild! X X

Captain Giddi Sutten war im Walte (Walde)
Er wollt' nur schnappen frische Luft
Schurken kamen aus 'ner Spalte
Wollten ihn bringen in die Gruft

(Chorus)

Captain Giddi Sutten war auf'm Berge
und suchte schicke Erze
Da wüten saure Zwerge
wollten Giddi an sein Herz äh

(Chorus)

Captain Giddi Sutten war Zuhause
Ihm wurd das all's zuviel.... 
(fade out)

(fade in) ......
Auf ihn fiel ein Klavier
in seinem eig'nen Revier

(Chorus)
(Chorus - part 2 only)

Very roughly translated English lyrics. Keep in mind a lot of word choices were made so it fits into the rhyme in the original, which is missing in the translation. It’s always A-B-A-B except for the last verse with the fade out. There it is A-B-C-C.

(Verse 1)
Captain Giddi Sutten was in battle
dealing out some hard blows
I was just playing my guitar
and the battlefield was a horror

(Chorus part 1)
Thanks to (his) vim and shield
He's alive (still)
He's alive (yet)

(Chorus part 2)
Yet
The shield had a crack
and then he was standing
in the smithy again and sang:
I'm fixing my shield! X X 2 3 4
I'm fixing my shield! X X 2 3 4

(Verse 2)
Captain Giddi Sutten was in (the) forest
Just wanted to breathe some fresh air
Some miscreants came out of a cleft
wanting to bring him to his grave

(Chorus)

Captain Giddi Sutten was on a mountain
and was looking for nice ores
Then came some angry dwarfs
Trying to rip his heart out (erm..)

(Chorus)

Captain Giddi Sutten was at home
He just had enough of all that...
(fade out)
(fade in)
On him fell a piano
In his own territory

(Chorus - repeat part 2)

Also a few mentions of words/meanings that were hard to translate:
“Klampfe” - It means guitar, but it’s a colloquial word. I haven’t found an equivalent.
“Schneid” - It’s not even commonly known in German. In fact the person playing Giddi Sutten has asked me what it means. It’s a strange mix of courage, strength and a few other positive attitudes. The best I could find was “vim”. Not sure if I use it correctly here. Also “Schneid und Schild” is a nice alliteration that’s now missing, but there’s a lot of places like that.

What actually doesn’t work in both languages is the “Spalte” / “cleft” part. I used “Spalte” which doesn’t really work when talking, but in the context of the song it works. Just used the first translation for it. It’s just that suddenly some miscreants emerge. It doesn’t really matter from where, but “Spalte” was a rhyme.

I am also strangely proud of the rhyme “Erze” und “Herz - äh”.
“äh” = “eh/erm” so it’s just a filler, but that filler causes it to rhyme. It kind of is cheap, but it’s exactly the style I imagine.

Okay, I stop explaining how much better the original is compared to the translation. Enjoy.

4 Likes

Recently got a Focusrite Scarlett that came with Pro Tools First (low end version), so I decided to also get a cheap midi keyboard to play around with. I do not play keys at all, but I was able to look at a keyboard chart and figure out the basic notes to my original “Cosmic Wave.” Had a blast trying out different sounds, and it gives the song a whole new vibe. I would love to add a keyboard player to my once a month band, but they seem to be in short supply!

3 Likes

And here is the new music video for that tune…

4 Likes

@TK-421
Let’s move it here as to not fill up the thread in which Josh looks for contributions to his video.

A Hammond would fill the gap I’m talking about and as I don’t know where you want to take it I don’t want to suggest specific things but what I wanted to say is: I started writing a song in the middle of the course and you can see the progress in this thread.

You also don’t necessarily need to know how to play other instruments. I used a virtual guitar plugin for mine and if one uses the strumming patterns instead of just using Midi notes it’s surprisingly good. Maybe others could but if I didn’t know I could not tell the difference from a real guitar. I think instruments with keys could be even better so I could imagine importing the drumtrack into reaper, recording the bass line and then adding whatever you want with a synth or plugin.

You may think it cheating but you can always go the extra mile after you have composed the song. It also makes it easier to experiment and move parts around.

1 Like

So this appears to be the day I’m coming out of my bass closet. 3 basslines shared in less than 24h :laughing:, It’s the first time I’m sharing such things with fellow bassists.

Ok this one is my first attempt at a collaboration with a friend. It’s still raw (and with a lot of issues including bass faking guitar parts) and for drums you have a 50hz pulse :joy:, but I really want to know what you guys think and possibly get some suggestions.

6 Likes

This was the very best compliment you could have given me for this song. Thank you so much.
I’m not sure how much you read of my explanation and inspiration for the song but that is exactly what I had in mind. Thank you so much! I said thank you, did I?

Very cool setting! I’m doing my first D&D session ever with some friends over on discord.

Ahaha. Don’t mention it.

Anyway, would love to listen to it with vocals!

1 Like

I’m working on it! About to start singing warmup routine!

Although I actually might have reached a stage in which it would be viable to record a session. Maybe first post a vocal cover for feedback and if that’s good enough start working on recording the vocals.

This deserves a half-drunk (or inspired from some arcane divine figure) choir behind the lead voice!

1 Like