Post your original songs/compositions!

Don’t forget the middle! :smile:

Thanks @TNKA36!

2 Likes

So those chords played in there were played with a bass?

I also like the thunder although the first one shook me a bit :wink:
Overall nice to listen to. Personally very rarely fan of (heavy) distortion but since it was kept to a small part still good!

No no, those are real guitar parts. My sentence was poorly worded. Towards the end of the song there are guitar parts that are played with the bass using an octave effect.

The theme the song tries to convey is a storm being observed with unease by someone in land thinking of his\her significant other crossing the ocean.

It’s a somewhat common theme in Portuguese poetry and music, seeing 2 out of our 4 borders are the atlantic ocean and the heavy historic background the Portuguese have with the sea.

I’ll end with a bit of a famous poem from Fernando Pessoa and its translation

Portuguese

Ó mar salgado, quanto do teu sal
São lágrimas de Portugal!
Por te cruzarmos, quantas mães choraram,
Quantos filhos em vão rezaram!
Quantas noivas ficaram por casar
Para que fosses nosso, ó mar!

English

Oh salted sea, how much of your salt
Are tears of Portugal!
For crossing over you, how many mothers cried,
How many sons prayed in vain!
How many fiancées won’t marry
For you to be ours, oh sea!

1 Like

Ah. Okay ah. The part where I thought “This sounds too high for a bass but it sounds like a bass”. Makes total sense.

Yes. Okay. Now the feeling of being shaken by thunder at the start makes total sense and fits perfectly into the theme.
I also get the message in the poem but as I noticed with the translation of my own lyrics - it just doesn’t translate well enough. As said - I get the message. I doubt I get the feeling the original would create.

And @Tokyo_Rat I haven’t come around to listening to your creations yet. I don’t want to rush it as I want to take my time and be in a mood to listen to new songs and be open. I can’t force that but I promise that I will listen to it.

2 Likes

It loses all its musicality with the translation, true. But the poem is not directly linked with my “song”. It was a way to illustrate the relationship the portuguese people have with the sea.

1 Like

Soooo… I did it.
The complete thing. On a music sheet.
It was quite an effort but well worth it I think.

It just messed with my brain skipping between the bass and the treble clef.
PDF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hsdSdYUkt7ryXJL5ce-tDgVeKOwbRDfd/view?usp=sharing
Noteflight: Ich schmiede mein Schild - Noteflight Community

I’m quite proud as I think I did it right. Of course it helped to listen to it on noteflight to instantly notice errors but still… It is my complete composition on a music sheet. Okay… I didn’t write out the change with the fade out in the last verse but… basically it’s thought as song that can have verses added and added for each and any of Giddis escapades.

And just because I could it shows the fretting of the guitar chords - preview:

I had to use standard drum notes as I have no idea how to communicate to a drummer my weird “drumset” in notes.

Edit: Of course there was (at least) still one error in it. In the 11th bar the bass did not play root (A) but something else. Fixed it.

5 Likes

6 Likes

@Tokyo_Rat

Well done, I’ve listened to several of your originals, and I like your stuff… you got an old school, Lou Reed vibe going. (and interesting vocal mic/effects style as well)

1 Like

Thank you…thrilled that you liked it…some one else mentioned the Lou Reed vibe being a fan that always nice to hear…there was a band in the 70s called Flash and the Pan that I thought sounded great and they had that distorted spoken vocal that kinda set them apart. thanks again!

2 Likes

There’s a lot of punk, post-punk and industrial bands that use similar vocal techniques. Some do crossover work and retain it. I really like the technique too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO8vBVUaKvk

4 Likes

That was awesome!!

2 Likes

Gibby Haines (the vocalist there) has done a lot of work with other bands too.

2 Likes

I recently discovered a relatively unknown band from Sweden called Skuldpadda. They have a really cool retro sound that incorporates synth- so after hearing this first song, I decided to try and write something similar. This live studio clip is 30+ minutes, but I am just posting it so you can watch maybe the first minute and get an idea of what sound I was inspired by.

Here is my resulting demo. I just submitted it to my band, so hopefully it’s something we can develop. With my limitations, I normally like to not show them original ideas until I have a few more tracks added. (rather than just bare bass riffs with drums) I sometimes use fiver.com to hire inexpensive session players- like in this case for rhythm guitar and vocals.
I only wrote lyrics for one verse, so it’s just repeated 3 times for placeholders. I also added the midi keys. (I don’t know how to play, I just matched the notes from the bass by looking at a piano chart)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15dU3oIyKrMyzCh4Ijeo_kp2luwO_tLQI/view?usp=sharing

5 Likes

sounds good ! I’m surprised I like it :grin: both the original band and your composition

2 Likes

That’s good! Your vocalist’s style has a sort of Blondie or Berlin feel to it. Very retro :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@howard

Thanks… Unfortunately if my band is able to try this live, my vocalist will not have the cool accent that this girl from Ukraine does!

2 Likes

@terb

Haha, thanks Terb, I will take that as a compliment! I guess some of my other original stuff has not resonated with you? Glad I finally created something that maybe moved the needle a little bit! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

not sure I listened to everything as I just had to move, I had not much time since a few months

2 Likes

I did it. I took time for your 3 songs!
Overall I liked them. The filtered voice is a nice solution for you and the resulting sound fits the style imo.

I don’t know why but I did not get into the blues or groove or whatever of the first one.

I enjoyed the second one the most but why? Why does it end so abruptly? The sudden end almost shook me as much as gcancellas thunderclaps. Not sure if you were going for that. Then again it may be just me.

Good job in any case!

1 Like

Good work again!
I think I’d recognise a song by you when I just listen to it by now. Recognisable style is/can be a very good thing I think.

1 Like