Wrote out a bass line!

It definitely feels familiar, but I can’t put my finger on it…

4 Likes

What you should check out is MuseScore. :smile:

3 Likes

You are not mistaken. Go do it.

3 Likes

Okay, okay! Next on my practice list (for when I don’t make music): Get “I’m fixing my shield” on a music sheet.

4 Likes

OK, the moment of truth! Here is the song.

CW: Mildly strong language, some offensive lyrics.

And thanks for playing along, friends - this was fun for me!

3 Likes

Yay! I’m finally gonna listen to the song! Hooray!

…oh

It’s okay. I’ll listen on spotify.

1 Like

You poor thing! It must be because you’re in Europe?

1 Like

No problem. There was just the immediate moment of dissapointment but as said - I listened to it on spotify.

Never heard the song. So if it wasn’t sampled I feel fine apart from the nagging feeling that it somehow still felt familiar. But maybe just a fluke or something.

Looked up the song info. The bass line is from this song :grin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw1OwMrh7XA
Maybe some other bands picked it up as well…

1 Like

Especially this one is more recent…

1 Like

Fascinating. I can’t hear the same bass line in any of those songs, but I’m not very sophisticated (no pun intended) when it comes to sampling. Although, just because the bass line was sampled into a new song, that doesn’t mean the new song’s bass line comes from the old song, right?

2 Likes

That made me laugh out so loud! Comment of the day.

1 Like

Well, it should be from the old song. It can be altered somehow, but I’m not really an expert on the subject.
However, I think the bass line is quite easy to recognize in the original (around 0:22) as well as in the other song, where it’s part of the booming rhythm around 1:30 into the song.

2 Likes

It’s possible that they still have to credit/pay the original artist even if it is altered. But then it’s usually not worded “sampled”. If it’s sampled then it should be the same.
For example you can’t just transpose a melody into a different key and claim you wrote it then. You still have to credit the original artist but afaik it’s not called “sampled” in that case.

I didn’t listen long enough to the modern song to hear it but I agree that it is clearly audible in the original version as you said around 0:22

2 Likes

Ahahaha hilarious I didn’t get it, I love Public Enemy. Chuck D is one of my heroes.

3 Likes

You should give it a try, it seriously kicks ass for a line written in 1977 :grin:
And sampling indeed is subject to authorization, but I’m not sure the early hip-hop artists cared about that part :wink:

1 Like

Thank you, I can hear it now!

3 Likes

That is funny! But I think a lot happens during that half-measure rest and it’s probably hard to recognize without that part.

3 Likes

And again it shall not be said that I do not deliver: Music Sheet for “I’m fixing my shield”

Maaaan - I have way too much time on my hands xD Good thing the bass build kit arrives tomorrow.

4 Likes

Well, a sample is just that… a sample from a source. You can then work over it and do anything with it to the point it’s not recognizable, but in the end it’s still a sample from a given source.

Even if you change a bit of the melody, they can go after you… Just ask Vanilla Ice :stuck_out_tongue:

He can’t even make a straight face ahah

They didn’t (and some still don’t). The truth to the matter is that back then (before youtube) only artists profiting (more than tobacco money) were worth the pursue, and even then only after hip hop moved from the underground to the mainstream. The above mentioned Vanilla Ice talks about just that in some documentary, in a somewhat b*tthurt manner that someone cared enough to sue him.

2 Likes