Wrote out a bass line!

I was thinking of one of my favorite bass lines and decided to see if I could listen and figure it out on the base and write it down, so I did! Give it a play if you feel like it. I even took a stab at writing tab for you. Sort of. I think if you know this (maybe somewhat obscure) song you’ll get it right away. (I think this is all the bass does for the whole song.)

Gosh this instrument is fun.

(Note: I originally wrote this wrong, with an E instead of a G for the last note, because I was having trouble hearing the note in the song. Upon further listening it became clear and I’ve fixed the music.)

6 Likes

Oops. Now the more I listen, the more I think that low note is G and not E.

5 Likes

Hi @tamaraster,
I will check it out when I get home today
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Initially, my brain froze on bar 1, but I’ve figured it out. Which means my sheet music reading skills are improving.
But I have no idea what song this is.

5 Likes

Hi @tamaraster,
I have played it at different tempos.
I don’t know the riff?
You have me stumped.
It sounds ok :+1:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

The original tempo is around 94 beats per minute if that helps. But I’m sure it doesn’t.

2 Likes

I should try to start writing out music too. I bet it’s a really good exercise.

A thing I wanted to mention about the tab notation is while this is certainly playable usually in tabs the frets are written on the staff line as if it were the string you are plucking. I don’t think you care that much. I just wanted to point it out.

2 Likes

That low note on the end is E

2 Likes

@tamaraster if your going to get into writing your own lines or scores, check this out. It’s pretty cool. I use it all the time.

2 Likes

Wait!? You know the song of that bassline?

2 Likes

No, I have not been able to “Name that Tune” from these 2 bars. But I tried it with both the E after the B, and with a G after the B. It just sounds better to me with the E.

I’d have to hear the song to put it into perspective, but this is my conclusion just from those 2 bars.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think that’s why I wrote the E when I had trouble hearing it in the song. But I think it might really be a in G in the song. Or else it alternates.

Also, these two bars are the whole song, as far as the bass is concerned!

3 Likes

Oh, I know. But my paper is music paper so it has five lines. What are you gonna do?

3 Likes

Um… not bother with the tab? Just play from the notation? LOL
(Sorry, just being my normal smarty cat :smile_cat:)

2 Likes

I didn’t write it out for myself! I wanted people here to be able to try it even if they don’t read music. So I thought providing both would be courteous. If I were just writing for myself I wouldn’t have done the tab (although when I wrote the notes in my practice journal, I did indicate to play the last four on the E string, since that’s not normally where I’d play some of those, but it seems to be more convenient for this.)

4 Likes

Duly noted. I now scamper away like a scolded cat.

4 Likes

Tab Notation for 5 String Bass :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Haha! Didn’t mean it like that! I was just defending my HONOR.

4 Likes

Comment of the day.
Also, I didn’t even notice the tabs. I guess that means I’m getting better at reading. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I fixed the notation about to show the last note as a G, which is what it is in the original song. Not sure why I had so much trouble making that out last night. (Although @PamPurrs is right that the low E sounds better / more resolved there, which is probably why I wrote it.)

4 Likes