Post your original songs/compositions!

Gibby Haines (the vocalist there) has done a lot of work with other bands too.

2 Likes

I recently discovered a relatively unknown band from Sweden called Skuldpadda. They have a really cool retro sound that incorporates synth- so after hearing this first song, I decided to try and write something similar. This live studio clip is 30+ minutes, but I am just posting it so you can watch maybe the first minute and get an idea of what sound I was inspired by.

Here is my resulting demo. I just submitted it to my band, so hopefully it’s something we can develop. With my limitations, I normally like to not show them original ideas until I have a few more tracks added. (rather than just bare bass riffs with drums) I sometimes use fiver.com to hire inexpensive session players- like in this case for rhythm guitar and vocals.
I only wrote lyrics for one verse, so it’s just repeated 3 times for placeholders. I also added the midi keys. (I don’t know how to play, I just matched the notes from the bass by looking at a piano chart)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15dU3oIyKrMyzCh4Ijeo_kp2luwO_tLQI/view?usp=sharing

5 Likes

sounds good ! I’m surprised I like it :grin: both the original band and your composition

2 Likes

That’s good! Your vocalist’s style has a sort of Blondie or Berlin feel to it. Very retro :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@howard

Thanks… Unfortunately if my band is able to try this live, my vocalist will not have the cool accent that this girl from Ukraine does!

2 Likes

@terb

Haha, thanks Terb, I will take that as a compliment! I guess some of my other original stuff has not resonated with you? Glad I finally created something that maybe moved the needle a little bit! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

not sure I listened to everything as I just had to move, I had not much time since a few months

2 Likes

I did it. I took time for your 3 songs!
Overall I liked them. The filtered voice is a nice solution for you and the resulting sound fits the style imo.

I don’t know why but I did not get into the blues or groove or whatever of the first one.

I enjoyed the second one the most but why? Why does it end so abruptly? The sudden end almost shook me as much as gcancellas thunderclaps. Not sure if you were going for that. Then again it may be just me.

Good job in any case!

1 Like

Good work again!
I think I’d recognise a song by you when I just listen to it by now. Recognisable style is/can be a very good thing I think.

1 Like

thanks for the feedback the stuff that ends abruptly is because I don’t know really what to to with it. Recording wise the Spire that I use doesn’t give you a lot of options in that department. I realize its like lifting the needle off the album but thats all the crayons I have in the box.

1 Like

No way for a soft fade out for example?

1 Like

Not with this…I f I were to export it to a DAW I could have more tools but right now this is what I have.

1 Like

Can’t you just put the resulting file in a DAW and introduce a fade-out there? Play a bar or two more in the recording to have enough material to soft fade?

1 Like

absolutely…but right now this is what I have

1 Like

I prefer songs that end over songs that fade out by a huge margin, like 10:1 at least :slight_smile:

4 Likes

4 Likes

Hey @Tokyo_Rat would love to know more about your writing/composing process. Would you care to give us some insight?

Not technical stuff. But things like, do you come up with lyrics first and then compose around it or the other way around?

1 Like

I missed this.

Mine is intended to shock (pun intended?). I imagine it on a huge PA out of nowhere and It gives me goosebumps. I’m sure not everybody would like it, but everyone would remember it :joy:

2 Likes

No worries and thanks for asking, almost always its chords that I thought sounded good together as a progression and then to keep it from sounding so simple I try to incorporate open strings into the chords. Then I write lyrics on top of it. Sometimes not often, I think of the lyrics first and it is always simultaneous with a melody then add chords and again try to do something with the chords to make it them sound interesting. Nearly everything is based loosely on the I-IV-V and if you write anything with more than 4 chords you’re just showing off. The melodies are really simplistic because I’m not a singer. I hope some of that makes sense.

5 Likes

Love your track @Tokyo_Rat.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes