Post your original songs/compositions!

Please don’t, I really like what you guys are doing and look forward to you getting mikes :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I like the method and structure style to establish some foundation, then build up a song around it. Even your “basic skeleton” already sounds kick ass!

3 Likes

I can very much dig all this. And, if somehow @terb and I can both get to the Netherlands, we’ll get down SUPER hard to the sludge breakdowns together. Well done @1kurosaki2

And @joergkutter - RAD! The melody + bass line / harmonies / melodies, arrangement - kudos for all of it. That B section has all the fusion elements and vibes. Well done.

4 Likes

I want in too

it’s timed perfectly for my recent post-rock/post-metal kick.

5 Likes

Ooh, boy, this might create some disturbances in the spacetime continuum to be noticed in the 25th century :grin:

4 Likes

Cool, and a nice detour into some heavy harmonic theory stuff :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for all the comments and feedback, guys!! Very encouraging to hear, even though it is barely a sketch at this time.

While I think it is possible to compose starting from a bass line, it can be challenging for the rest of the band… my guitar player already complained about it being hard to come up with good chords here (as I was completely ignorant of any “diatonic restrictions” etc when I put this sketch together. Not that he really thinks along those lines, but I guess he has his own harmonic universe of chords that he has a hard time breaking out of).

And… we just lost our singer again - so, it might be a while before a more polished version is ready for posting :rofl:

3 Likes

all those band stories remind me of some very cheap series we had in France in the 90’s. there was one with a “rock band” (don’t know if it was melodic rock but I can tell it was by no mean sludgecore :rofl:), with a lot of stories and drama. everything was wrong but everybody was more or less into those series (because we had nothing else I guess :joy: ). it looked like this :

4 Likes

I am picturing the Jazz equivalent to how all of Spinal Tap’s drummers kept exploding

6 Likes

Haha, yeah, but it isn’t even jazz in that band… still, as @Vik can certainly attest to, it seems so hard to find someone who a) can play or sing, b) is reliable (i.e. comes to rehearsals, gigs, …), and c) isn’t completely socially awkward. Ah, the joys of playing in a band :grin:

@terb: that photo is hilarious :joy: Kinda miss the 90’s (sometimes)!

4 Likes

I love how the synth has neither power nor audio or midi cables

2 Likes

This is almost too much praise, @Gio - but, you know, I think I might just call this song “RAD” :grin:

5 Likes

@howard also I love how the guitar player will fly and become deaf after the first drum kick :joy:

3 Likes

Yeah that acoustic will really stand out in that mix too

3 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

Somehow these boys haven’t gotten all that far since Laurent’s 90s photo :rofl:

And, the guy plays my “friend’s” bass :joy: and is digging into it, too…

3 Likes

still no news about your “friend’s” bass ?

anyway on your video I like the haircut of the synth guy, reminds me of Maurice Moss from IT Crowd.

4 Likes

In the final days with my old band, I was put in charge of finding a new guitarist and drummer. Somehow, being in a band “legitimizes” you a bit more when putting these online ads out, and you get a decent response. I kept the contact info of the respondents after the band broke apart. Finally pinned down a day (today) to meet up with a new guitarist and a new drummer, but, just myself this time, let them know it would just be a jam session.

Great time, once again, both musicians are way farther along musically then me, but, felt good to lead the session a little, and, I got to play the song I wrote, for the first time. I start out with the bass, but have to stop playing, as I’m doing the lyrics, because it is very hard for me to do both (and pay attention to everything going on)! This is going to take some practice for sure. Weird hearing myself on vocals! This is that same B-E-A-D song with the A-G chorus, from the key thread, completely redone to make it an original song.

It’s very raw, just recorded on my phone. But I’m pumped! Mouth’s a little sore, as I was supposed to recover from dental work this weekend, but I can’t let opportunities pass! - it’s hard to get musicians to all agree and show up :smile:

13 Likes

Back on that horse @Vik! Sore tooth and all… Love it bro!

3 Likes

that’s great @Vik ! happy to learn that you’re already playing again with other people :v:

3 Likes