Post your original songs/compositions!

Great to hear you are back making music with others again, @vik - and using that chord sequence from your former band and expanding on it!!

Good luck with the double duty on bass and vocals :crazy_face:

6 Likes

So here is my first attempt a composing a bass line. I’ve been working on this drum groove for a couple of months and decided to try to lay down a bass line for it. I can’t tell if the line for the verse is more of a melody or an actual bass line.

You can ignore the choruses - I was just messing a round with different notes and rhythmic patterns. I have no idea what to do for the choruses yet (also, the 2nd verse is 2 bars short :flushed:)

I’d love hear any feedback as I’ve only been playing bass for a month now and need all the help I can get.

9 Likes

Sounds like an excellent start to me, @TK-421 - great foundation to keep developing from!

2 Likes

Sounds good to me! Definitely not too melodic. I think that’s more the case when you play long note patterns that may not even repeat. Repeating short riffs are what I normally expect for the bass, but that’s not a rule. These short riffs can also be short notes or fast, like in heavy metal. You’re definitely on the right track!

2 Likes

Love this, sounds like a mix of reggae and new wave/post-punk. For just a month of playing this is great. When you get your tone and attack more on point you’ll be fine!

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback everyone. @1kurosaki2, do you have any tips on my tone/attack? I’m still trying to figure out the whole tone thing. Does it sound too muddy/not clear enough to your ears?

2 Likes

@Vik That was damn cool! Have you heard back from either of those guys?

2 Likes

:fist:
I feel bad, because those guys and I were supposed to jam again that weekend before I got the recording opportunity thing, so, I had to cancel on them. Good guys too - may try to hit them up again here, but all our schedules made it hard to pin down times. They also wanted to cram, learn, and play about 5 covers within a week - my pace of learning is just not that fast, and most were not easy covers!! They were also keen on wanting to form a band quick, and start playing shows. Kind of need a breather here from all this, haha!

What I like about the band experiences, is that it shows there are numerous people out there, in a city of any size, that want bass players. Even new ones. And that, with a little bit of networking, it’s possible to meet people of all stripes, if anyone wants to dip their toes in the water with it. Would encourage anyone reading to just try if they feel inclined - I’m more of an introvert if you know me, but it still works!

6 Likes

Here is an update to my original surf tune: “Cosmic Wave” that I posted an early audio version of on this thread a while back. Had the opportunity to play it this past week at my once a month band rehearsal. This is my first band- we got together about 6 months ago. Just got a new Sterling Stingray SS a few weeks back and it sounded great. (at least to my ears)

8 Likes

So damn cool @lee_editorial! Love the tone out of the Stingray, and really enjoyed the song! You are fortunate to have others to play with, and getting together once a month to play together would make that time more enjoyable. Great sound!

Keep on Thumpin’!

4 Likes

Here is my latest original tune… its my first punk song. Started out with a 180bpm drum track, and wanted to write something Ramones-ish. Once I had the bass parts created, my guitarist added his track and then I enlisted a guy from Spain I found online to write and record the vocals. I asked him to sing in Spanish even though I don’t speak the language- I just thought it might be cool.

7 Likes

yeah, sounds very … punk ! :grin: I like the lyrics in spanish !

1 Like

I have very limited internet and this original piece took me forever to load onto my website but wanted to post it here. Although I am dealing with internet latency issues… I’ll try to respond if possible…

“We Will Survive” - is a short 90 second video clip that features an acoustical piece that my old Navy buddy and I put together over email and texts. My friend only has a cell phone that he records to, and if you listen closely you can hear a couple text notification sounds from his cell phone during his recording.

After I figured out where I wanted to go with the bass line, I settled on using “Big Red” since the Half-Rounds on that bass gave me the tone that worked best with Ronnie’s Yamaha acoustic guitar that he has strung with light gauge electric guitar strings. I was contemplating using my Seagull acoustic to lay down an acoustic rhythm track to the song but found that it was too busy and took away from the simpleness of the riff.

Some may recognize several of the photos used in the video - actually they were compliments of @terb who allowed me to use them in the video. Thanks Laurent!

I still have several more riffs that Ronnie and I are working on together so that keeps me busy on the music front!:grinning:

Stay Safe All… and remember to…
Keep On Thumpin’!

9 Likes

That was great! Thanks for sharing that.

2 Likes

very cool, I love the song and I’m surprised the guitar sounds so nice considering it’s recorded with a cell phone. an acoustic guitar is not the easiest instrument to record well.

anyway that’s pretty much the kind of “dark country” that I’m looking for at the moment :grin:

2 Likes

Very nice, @Lanny! So far, I have only listened to it through my laptop speakers, but I might have been tempted to make that bass a little more prominent in the mix :wink:

2 Likes

I love this - the way it was made, and the parts. The rough, garage sound makes it sound even more authentic to me. Well done.

4 Likes

Thanks @joergkutter… When I mixed the file I had my daughter mix one so she could see how it was done. I mixed one too but apparently got the two mixed up and loaded the wrong one. Just spent the afternoon uploading the one I mixed to my website so it should show up now if you wanna give it a listen…

2 Likes

Thanks @terb. It’s hard to mix bass with acoustic and keep things fairly clean. I’ve got several acoustic pieces to work on and it is a challenge!

1 Like

Thanks @JerryP!! It was a challenge to mix my electric bass with an acoustic guitar.

1 Like