Practicing While Traveling

Greetings All!
I travel extensively for my job and I would like to continue to practice while I’m away. Does anyone know of a device or instrument available that would allow me to practice but isn’t cumbersome with which to travel? I do a lot of flying so small and light weight is preferred.
Thanks!
Jerry

2 Likes

@JerryP:

For starters I would suggest to search this forum for an extremely similar thread called “Practicing” While Traveling (last activity there was in May 2019) - there you should find some ideas to start off with, some better than others…

3 Likes

I’ll put the link here, and do another quick plug for the Kala U-bass!!

3 Likes

I know someone with a U-Bass that absolutely loves it, and even uses it live. Super cute instruments.

2 Likes

I travel for work too. I drove this time so I brought two instruments but I fly a lot and have no problem traveling with Gloria (my Ibanez Mikro). It fits in a guitar gig bag, no problem, and will fit in the overhead storage of most planes. On smaller planes you might have to ask if there is room in the closet.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for responding. The KALA looks very interesting. What’s the difference in spacing compared to a standard bass?
Jerry

3 Likes

The U bass is the size of a large-ish ukulele.
It is smaller than a standard bass by a lot. It’s a 20" scale length compared to a 25" for a Fender Strat. Most electric basses are 34".

Prettttty small.

2 Likes

Do you have any trouble going from the U bass to a standard bass when playing?

3 Likes

@JerryP - I don’t, but I think that’s more a factor of my life is 99% standard, 1% U bass.
I imagine that it would be much different if the U bass was your main axe, or you found yourself playing it a bunch.
Kinda depends on what your body acclimates to?

Having said that - when you learn an instrument, your brain and body treat it pretty differently. I don’t have a problem going from guitar to bass to banjo to ukulele - they’re all different, and when you pick up the Uke, the body goes “oh - hello Uke. Now I will shred on you.”
The adjustments feel pretty natural and comfy.

3 Likes

@Gio - Thanks for the good advice. I’ll look into buying a U Bass for my traveling needs.

4 Likes

This.
I have nothing to add.

2 Likes

Excellent philosophy, don’t you think? lol

2 Likes

U-Bass.

2 Likes

Here’s a funky little short-scale with a built in amp and speaker (and normal outs as well). Pickup looks decent too, on the one in the Amazon link. This pic is of a purely piezo version:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/フェルナンデス-ZO-BASS-16-CAR/dp/B01N27BOQ8

Not sure if you can get these for export. It’s super cute, “Zo” is japanese for “elephant.” Mostly marketed as a kids’ bass. Fernandes is a solid brand.

4 Likes

it looks very … japanese !

5 Likes

OK, I received my KALA U Bass and going to have it set up at Guitar Center. The only thing I’m gonna look into is a thumb rest. Has anyone installed one on their U bass?

3 Likes

Congrats!
I have not installed one, but could see it being helpful.
I hope those GC folks know what they’re doing!

1 Like

Thanks!
GC did a good job. I haven’t installed the thumb rest yet, gonna try it ‘au natural’ and see if it affects my playing.

Jerry

2 Likes

Cool little bass! I want one. Are you going to give us pictures?

Here you go Eric.

5 Likes