Project Basses

Brian now wer’e talking :slight_smile:

1 Like

And I’m just here desperately looking for sources of wood.

(Yes, trees. butyouknowwhaddamean)

1 Like

https://www.guitarandbassbuild.co.uk/collections/tonewood-shop/ash-tone-wood-bass-body-blank/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuJz3BRDTARIsAMg-HxUK6-BgWXgku_eb0Fs4UoBolru-a3G8Nmxp_qjR45Pm2wlKBcNCb7caAoSbEALw_wcB
@juli0r

3 Likes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Sapele-Guitar-Blank-Luthier-/124216781412?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
@juli0r

2 Likes

@juli0r The Abba star guitar is made from three old mahogany book shelves.
What type of wood is the first question?
Rustic, Exotic, laminated, reclaimed, historic (made from a family toilet seat that your great, great, great Grandfather sat on) :rofl:
Then comes, sculptural, futeristic, experimental
and Why Wood?
Name the material and it’s possible.
If you can dream it you can make it.
Jamie
:guitar: :heart_eyes: :guitar:
Happy Dreams Juli

2 Likes

Right.
glances over to his 3D printer
Maybe the right sequence is to first repair that thing before starting a hardware project.

3 Likes

I think you’re basically just a P-bass kind of guy!

I’ve come around to really appreciate the basic P sound. Not for the old school vibe of course. Rather, for that nice, compressed, picking tone they are capable of. The tone that drove Punk Bass :slight_smile:

3 Likes

very probably :v::grin:

but about the compression, I feel that the P pickup has way more dynamic range than humbuckers. also the frequency spectrum is wider. I think the split coil design is a great intermediate between a true single coil (JB or pre-57 PB) and a humbucker. but I still want to test (long term) a pre-57 style PB.

2 Likes

That might be. I was just talking about the specific P sound I have come to like :slight_smile:

like at :30 in here:

Pretty sure that’s a P, he’s playing a P in their other videos.

I do too. In fact I used to think that if I ever wanted a P-bass I would want a P/J, but now that I have a P/J I am a even ready to ditch the J. Then again my P/J is a Warwick so it is very growly on its own, even cranked Full P.

@howard Now that’s an interesting turn in the conversation regarding the J . I’m seriously thinking about a J but after chatting to a mate today he’s reckoning if I try a P I’ll never go back to anything else :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Are you of the same opinion?

1 Like

I’m starting to feel that way. The problem with fenders is that I like the J necks more :slight_smile:

I find myself often dialing my P/J to full P though.

2 Likes

The neck is exactly where my issues with the P lies . I too prefer the J neck .
And I too use the reverse p pick ups on the Ibanez way more than a blend or the bridge pick up . Who knew bass would get so complicated lol

1 Like

… and I prefer the P neck but this point is very very personnal. you can find P-style basses with a P/J configuration and a J style neck, for exemple Sire makes some of those hybrid basses.

the J tone is thinner, probably more refined but less punchy/agressive/fat. I myself don’t see myself playing a P/J because I know I would be always on the P pickup only. but this does not mean that the J tone is not good, obviously.

the P has something “raw” that’s pretty unique, I think. it’s pretty much the equivalent of the Telecaster in the guitar world.

a word about the reverse P pickup : I’m convinced that it’s a better choice than the conventional P orientation, but I’m also convinced that it’s really a very small detail. I think I would love a Precision with only one mod : the reverse pickup. would look sick.

3 Likes

@terb you have a picture in your head of how she will look. I hope that now that you have moved you will get her into your hands
Jamie
:slightly_smiling_face: :guitar: :guitar:

3 Likes

thanks but I still have various project instruments to finish : the plywood P (almost finished) and two guitars ! then I will think about the next one … :v::grin:

3 Likes

@terb

Thank you for your insight :+1:
I love this place for that very reason

3 Likes

Here’s my project bass!

It’s got some issues. Basically has no action, no intonation to speak of. Neck dive is definitely a problem too. But, I plan to address that over time. :laughing:

It’s a NOS MIM P-Bass Standard Neck; not the Player P-Bass Neck. It feels so good, just like my Tele (same generation I suspect before the gloss came). I just wasn’t feeling it with the Fender MIM Player Bass necks, so I decided I should try to build the bass I wanted Fender to sell me. I would have ordered a Jass neck, but I want another PJ, so I guess I’ll get the chance to try a Modern-C P-Bass neck.

The neck is nearly perfect; the nut isn’t quite centered, but then it isn’t cut either. That will be a new experience…

My next step though is to look at bodies. To get the color I want and a good fit for this original neck, I’m thinking Warmoth. Anybody join a Fender neck to a Warmoth body before?

Thanks!

5 Likes

Here’s a couple tracks on my Streamer to show what I meant about liking the tone better dialed full P. Warwicks are bright and growly anyway and while the J adds some nice tone, just the P sounds awesome and I think I prefer it.

The problem with this is that with a P/J, the P is closer to the neck (since it is, of course, the neck pickup) than it would be on a normal P, so it misses out on some of the brightness it would have moved a cm or so towards the bridge.

3 Likes

I think I’ve done that, about 20 years ago. it should work perfectly as Warmoth parts are perfectly cut to Fender standards. Warmoth quality is equivalent to the Fender Custom Shop products, it’s seriously high end.

the two tones are good in my opinion. it all depends on what you like and how you use it ! I find that the P+J tone is very well balanced. the P-only tone sounds deeper and less percussive than what I would expect. I mean that the frequency spectrum seems extended in the low range, I don’t recognize so much the low-mid punch. (but also it depends on the amp, the settings, the picking technique …)

if you want, we could take some mesurements on our basses to see how far is your P pickup compared to a real Precision.

4 Likes

Good idea! On mine the front edge of the P is about 6cm from the last fretwire.

I am pretty sure the relative lack of mid harmonics and punch you mention os because it’s biased towards the neck, yeah.

2 Likes