Project Basses

I think that’s just the picture. In actual measurements, it’s just shy of 1/16" inch off.

While I measured only one of two axes (…axises? lol), everything I read said that the EMG 40 pickup was a drop-in replacement for the model Schecter I have.

So, I’m looking for advice on widening up the pickup cavity to make these pickups fit. I’m not too worried about the body (I’m already scotch-briting the finish to make it matte because it was scratched up pretty badly), and I’d like to do something crafty by my own hands. I’m going to re-paint the cavities with shielding paint, so I’m not too worried about exposed wood in the cavity showing through. Different pickups are also out of the question as I squeaked through the purchase of these pickups (and they’re a little rough around their bases as I tried to see if sanding them down would help).

So, if I did use a dremel or similar tool to shave away about 1/16" of an inch, what could I use to ensure that the line was straight?

3 Likes

@JustTim may I present my new favorite modification tool…

I’d spend some time with a spare piece of wood getting a feel for how quickly it removes material and making straight reliefs but this thing would have saved me many many hours in the past. Used it extensively on that mini strat project and a few other things.

3 Likes

Oh, shit, that’s sweet. It’s almost like a dremel belt sander.

How did you ensure straight lines when using it?

3 Likes

Pay attention. Lol

4 Likes

Kidding, but not kidding. A guide like a straight piece of tape will be helpful and minimize finish chipping. Also using the tool with belt going down towards the body instead of pulling up. That helps too.

3 Likes

Unless one knows how to use a router or dremel with templates, and maybe how to make your own template if you cannot find one - I agree.

3 Likes

@JustTim , I would suggest using a template. You could 3D print one, if you have access to a printer.

I would be super weary of freehanding it with any sort of power tool.

Sharp chisels and some hand files are also an option, but sharp is so totally an understatement.

6 Likes

The quickest, surest, and most buck expensive solution would be to take it to a bona fide luthier or trusted guitar tech to excavate and install. Those folks have esoteric tools and skills that most would likely never imagine.

Of course, that route (see what I did there?) would deprive you of the invaluable life lessons you seek, but you’d have a functioning bass.

Choose, Grasshopper.

6 Likes

I would use a steel rule from somewhere cheap. you can get 60cm ones for £2 from Poundland (YMMV). Use them as a sacrificial edge, taped heavily to the guitar body.

2 Likes

That does it, I quit.

…trying to build project basses, I mean. I picked up a low-power Dremel style tool and got the pickup cavities routed out. It’s not the best job, but it’s not the worst and with the pickups in its barely noticeable.

The old pickups were soldered into the EMG system. I carefully removed them and hooked up the new pickups with the solderless EMG cables, on the correct prongs. I get NO sound… well, strike that, with headphones on the highest volume I can slightly hear them as if they were really far away. And they are registering slightly on the DAI. But it’s almost like the pre-amp isn’t working. I’ve checked all the connections, rewired everything up one side and down the other, and traced them using the EMG wiring diagram, but I never get anything but nothing.

The pre-amp is for passive pickups, I got passive EMG pickups, I got the correct wiring cable, everything is hooked up fine, the battery is good, but I’m getting nothing. Something is wrong. And I don’t want to eff with it any longer; building things is NOT one of my strengths, so I’ll just stick to changing strings, doing basic setups (action/intonation), and I’m giving up the idea that I am a closet bass tech.

I was watching an Ibanez SR375E on Reverb, the seller made me a great offer. So, I bought it. I’ll put it up in the “show your bass” thread later, and I’m probably going to sell the ground-out Schecter and the incomplete Warmoth.

6 Likes

Instead of selling the Schecter, why not just ditch the preamp and convert it to a passive bass? It’s easy.

I mean sell it if you truly do not want it… but I assume you bought it because you wanted it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I wanted it because Schecter is a pretty decent brand in my book, and it was a cheap and easy way to a 5 string. But when it got here the finish was in horrible shape and the pickups were dead. I thought I had enough crafty in me to fix those issues, but I was wrong, and now I want to throw it through a window. So, if someone craftier than I can buy it for junk and make it work, that’s all good with me.

4 Likes

There are a few issues you can check when there’s no sounds from your bass.

Input jack wired not correctly, ring/ tip/ sleeve can be confusing sometimes.

Your wiring is wrong. Hot and ground sometimes the colors are just confusing.

My protocol now is to line everything up and use the alligator clip to connect all of the wires for testing. Use the metal screwdriver or pliers to tap on the pickup to test. When all is good then I start soldering.

Believe half the time when it didn’t work was be cause the cable didn’t insert all the way, lol.

5 Likes

Alligator clips to test is a great idea.

6 Likes

The EMG pre-amp wiring is all solderless. I tested all the connectivity with a continuity tester, pulling the connector off slightly to reveal just enough of the pole but still keep the connector on. So I know that there’s connectivity from component to component. I probably effed something up on one of the components when I remove the original, soldered-in pickups (which is an option for that pre-amp, if you don’t have EMG pickups). And I’ve lost enthusiasm to fix it, especially with my Ibanez replacement sitting on my lap.

4 Likes

I stole that straight from the pro at FatBassTone, lol.

5 Likes

No worries I’m kinda familiar with EMG, lol

4 Likes

I have no doubt. That wasn’t a dig at your bass knowledge in any way. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Dang Tim. I keep getting excited for you that your about to have a great success. But, man, you run into more than your share of trouble when it comes to gear.

8 Likes

Not saying that at all. I have my fair share of fails especially with the idiots proof system like EMG, lol.

5 Likes