Project Basses

I’d LOVE an SG style bass! Can’t wait to see it!

3 Likes

Very cool, can’t wait for your EBay delivery guy to get his butt over there.

1 Like

Funnily enough I’ve been browsing the web for Rickenbacker basses the last couple of days :joy:

3 Likes

Reminds me of John Entwistle’s Alembic bass, @steve.harder2012 . . . :slight_smile:

Looks like a great project, too!

Cheers, Joe

4 Likes

I managed to find some time to rout a space for a 3mm styrene control cavity cover and cut the cover itself. Ive filled the cavity with conductive tape and covered the back of the cover too. I’ve got another day off later in the week so hope to get a bit more done

7 Likes

A little progress on both builds.
The zebra wood bass is so close but I’m waiting on delivery of some more copper shielding tape. Anyway I mocked it up after soldering the pickups to the pots.

And the SG copy has had new tuner screws, copper shielding, pickups etc checked out and a new truss rod cover. Really got to get to grips with the holes in the body prior to fitting the new wraparound bridge I have sitting on my desk

7 Likes

Hey @Mac,
Where are you buying your new parts from.?
Cheers brian

3 Likes

Hey @TNKA36
Mostly from EBay :thinking:

2 Likes

Okay it’s not a Bass, I just thought I would share the ABBA star guitar tribute based on photo’s of the one made by Malsberg. It has led’s fitted as you can see the channels on the last picture. I made it as an Oyster Shell construction. It’s made from old Mahogany bookshelve’s I will try and upload a clip of it in action.

22551649_10155870195737853_1473189206_n

8 Likes

Hi @Jamietashi,
Love the detail you have put into it, is that an auto paint you have used on it, is it baked enamel and does it have a clear over it?
I am preparing to pimp one of the Yamaha basses and have spoken to a painter who said he can repaint for me using automotive house of colour Pearl or translucent paint.
He said to leave the original paint on it and he will rub back put a base coat on and then top coat.
Does this sound feesable?
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

That zebra wood is really killer - it’s such a sharp looking bass just because of that!

2 Likes

@TNKA36 Hi Brian, yes I took it to an Auto shop to get sprayed. All cellulose finish. It was undercoated then the glitter coats, a special gun is required for the large glitter. Then 7 coats of clear. So it was paint for cars.
I think it’s best getting professional job on the finish, just makes the rest look good :rofl: I’m busy with a 51 P-bass that’s going to be fire engine red. My painter Stuart works in a firm that makes fire engines, so the colour should be right.
Jamie
:slight_smile: :guitar: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice @Jamietashi,
I am going to take mine to a car painter as well, I’m using house of colour paint.
The guy is quoting me around $ 1 k to do it, which is about $650 usd
Cheers Brian

1 Like

@TNKA36 Brian it was £150, to get the Abba guitar done. I’m getting mates rates :slight_smile: I also make his bread twice a week.
Jamie

Hi @Jamietashi,
That works out to around $300 aud then, no mates rates for me, I don’t know the guy.:slightly_frowning_face::slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Brian Might be worth looking up a painter who does Helmet’s and petrol tanks. Normally a smaller operation. That’s how I found Stuart.
Jamie

@TNKA36

2 Likes

Hi Jamie,
I think I will look around and see if I can get a better deal.

@Jamietashi

Cheers Brian

2 Likes

So this aftafternoon I have had some time to do an initial assembly of all the parts. The rickenbacker copy neck needed a gap either side of the neck filling with a thin sliver of balsa to ensure a tight fit and the pickup spaces needed a bit of routing to fit the pickups correctly. The electrics are not soldered yet, ill do that once the kids are in bed but tonally it sounds good non electric. The only issue is my wonky alinement of the bridge. I will need to fill the screw holes and reposition the bridge as my measurements were out by about 5mm or so, which means the E string is really close to the edge of the fretboard.

12 Likes

Looking amazing. Great job. Look forward to your review of the final product. :+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2::facepunch:

1 Like

Hi @steve.harder2012,
Love your work, where did you get the Ricky neck from?
Have you decided on paint colour?
Cheers Brian

4 Likes