Project Basses

After waiting for a month, the bridge finally arrived. New holes drilled and tested

Almost ready for the finishing phase. You can notice the previous holes bleed through the new bridge (previous one was a tad larger). Any tips on occluding those holes?

4 Likes

wood paste can work if you want to keep the natural wood. for a solid color I like to use a nitrocellulose filler :

this thing is gray so it needs to be painted.

4 Likes

Thanks @terb. I’m going for a natural look. So wood paste it is!

3 Likes

I could be wrong, but you might want to check the orientation of that bridge before you fix it in place :joy: And, I hope the new holes align with that orientation as well!?!

7 Likes

@joergkutter I was about to tell you “i aligned with the old bridge” and then it hit me oh… f*ck. you’re totally right :joy:.

Don’t drill anything early in the morning, it got me 4 new reasons to get wood paste

5 Likes

:joy:

6 Likes

I have no idea what you’re talking about

7 Likes

Oh f…
How did I miss that? I looked at it “looks weird” and scrolled past.

Yes. Or worded differently and in more general terms: make sure you take your time, are not in a hurry and not still half asleep or half asleep already.

4 Likes

Bridge over troubled waters. Easy to miss

4 Likes

Photo angle… it takes the 3D perception of a neurosurgeon to get one’s bearings here :grin:

4 Likes

I think @joergkutter is suggesting that you make sure the E and G strings from the bridge traverse the fretboard on the way to the nut in such a way that the strings are where you want them to be (not located off the fretboard on one side and too far in on the other).

4 Likes

I think @gcancella was being coy, @kwt7667 :grin:

5 Likes

Since the first bridge related post. Cough. Cough.

6 Likes

Ah well, that’s the nature of text based communication! :laughing: :rofl: :joy:

5 Likes

The faux-SG short scale took a giant leap forward tonight after I finally found a bridge that works and looks half decent.
Still has to be set up, string height adjusted but I plugged it into the amp and it made sounds like it should :+1:

14 Likes

@Mac looking good enough to play. Nice one
Jamie

4 Likes

I like this bridge !

5 Likes

It needs a set up as I’ve got a bit of fret buzz on the G string on the first 5 frets@Jamietashi

Thank you @terb :sunglasses: It was a relatively cheap one off of EBay so a win win really.

4 Likes

@Mac probably just the nut if it’s only the G string, I’m sure when you do the set up you will know exactly whats going on.
Jamie

4 Likes

Before contacting those guys for a quote… - Baumtischplatten | Atlas Holz AG
Could any of you check - @Jamietashi for example - if the wood they sell there could be viable? They sell it as solid wood for natural looking tables so I figured there should be pieces big enough for a body but I still wanted to ask here before I contact them for a quote.

A friend of mine also gave me the tip to just go to a carpenter in town and ask him where he gets his wood. Maybe will do that on friday.

I just started with the build kit but by now I am actively looking for something that I can use as workshop. Maybe rent a garage or something. The sawdust in my flat isn’t umm… ideal.

3 Likes