Project Basses

I used a jigsaw to rough cut the shape and then sanded until I was happy with it @juli0r
And as @TNKA36 has said start out at about 400 grit and work your way down to a minimum of 1200 grit. I went as far as 3000 grit paper and wet sanded it before the final coat of oil . Then polished the wood with a cutting paste and then a wax polish

3 Likes

Okay. So off to the home improvement store and get sand paper starting with grit 400 and go up to at least 2000. (Yes - I read your minimum. That’s what I take away from that anyway)

About oiling/waxing - are there some instructions in the instructions of the kit about which kind to use? As far as I have picked up it may make a vast difference depending on the wood!?

2 Likes

yes, and it could be done with a jig saw to make roughly the shape. but a hand saw will work too.

2 Likes

I purchased a finishing kit with my bass kit but reading afterwards I probably would have been as well using Tung oil .
I also used a grain sealer on the bare wood to bring out the natural patterns in the wood.
You could also paint the body but that’s something I am not at all familiar with.
If I can help along the way just shout out @juli0r
I found it very therapeutic to build the bass and I’m seriously thinking of doing another

3 Likes

I remember in school we had a woodworking class and I always enjoyed myself. Although we never did the finishing touches but just the cutting/sanding. Once we moved into the city I didn’t have a place to do such stuff. In the house of my parents we had a workshop cellar with tools and workbench and everything. It was awesome.

I’m not sure but I think I will just take the body to the shop and ask the guy in the wood department what I can and what I should do and use. In my experience when avoiding rush hour/normal shopping times they are knowledgeable in their field and help you out. Problem always just arises when there are too many customers :smiley: When it’s empty I always felt that the clerks of the shop helped with insightful information and comments.

Of course the advice of all of you is always very welcome still!

4 Likes

Carefully use a little Scotchbrite to remove the surface rust, then…

I’ve used this on bare metal when I didn’t want to repaint, and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/SC-Johnson-Paste-Wax-1lb/dp/B0000DIWIM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1HES0NZ2Z3V14&dchild=1&keywords=sc+johnson+paste+wax&qid=1593020885&sprefix=sc+john%2Caps%2C199&sr=8-3

2 Likes

Hi @Mac,
I am gunna have a go at painting mine using automotive paint.
I have a colour that I can get made up in pressure packs.
The research I’ve done and advise I’ve been given so far regarding the Yamaha is as follows.
As it’s currently black I need to do is sand that back to create a ruff surface in preparation for the base coat.
Apply the base coats and sand between each coat.
Apply top coats and sand using finer paper between each coat.
Then apply clear with a tint of the colour in it and sand again between coats and then after all that should be able to polish back for a really nice finish.
See how it goes👍
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

@TNKA36
Cool :sunglasses: Sounds the same as painting car parts . Hope it all goes to plan :+1:

4 Likes

last news from the plywood Jim Harley.

last sanding :

candy-apple-redizing :

letting the thing dry for at least one month :

… not so sure about the result. when I was painting, I realized that I was a bit short on paint, and as I moved I don’t know where to buy the exact same one. so I tried to manage with this but I don’t think the result will be perfect. still good enough for some youtube covers, hopefully …

7 Likes

About that…

what kind of paint can one use for painting basses?
I remember a thread in which was said that acryl works. I still have a palette of acryl colors lying around so if that’s a possibility I’d like to not have spend extra money.

2 Likes

I have used nitrocellulose (this candy apple red is nitro), polyurethane (my yellow Telecaster) and acryl (Greenie). the more solid over time is definitly polyurethane, and the more fragile is acryl in my experience.

4 Likes

A good paint shop should be able to match the paint @terb

2 Likes

it’s a budget project, based on a 90’s bass that was given to me … I don’t want to spend much money on this. it will be fine enough :grin: at least it can only be way better than what the bass looked like before I started working on it !

5 Likes

Ah , no worries. Looks pretty good from the pictures as it is too :+1:

3 Likes

If it ends up looking truly bad, at worst you have a nice primer coat there. Just buy some new paint at your new place, sand it a bit, and go :slight_smile:

4 Likes

yeah @howard ! but I think it will be ok enough for this kind of project :grin: should look pretty cool if you don’t look too close :laughing:

4 Likes

This is the standard to which I build all of my instruments.
:grinning:

7 Likes

Oh, the well known hyperopia standard! :smile:

4 Likes

Just want to hope you don’t have to many flies or bugs around @terb.
Although they could add something unique to your build​:joy::joy:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Found a progress shot of The Abba star guitar.
Jamie

8 Likes