Project Basses

Sometimes a man will walk a beach for hours looking for a driftwood plank to turn into a guitar. Sometimes that man will get tired of searching, go buy a rough sawed board and just make his own driftwood…

So if anybody was considering making a driftwood bass… there ya go. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

“Flamed Maple” :rofl:

7 Likes

that’s a japanese technique called shou-sugi ban, it can look very impressive ! at least I like that raw look

8 Likes

I wonder if doing that might naturally seal the wood.

4 Likes

the basic role of this technique is to bring the wood a very good protection against rain and snow over the years, it’s used to replace finishing products like varnish.

on an aesthetic perspective you can do a range of different looks with this technique, depending on how long and how deep you burn the wood and how deep you brush it :

that’s a very interesting technique in my opinion, I had a great time experimenting with it a few years ago :grin:

9 Likes

That’s awesome! First I have heard of it. I’ll look for it now, it’s probably everywhere :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The 2 pieces 3rd and 4th from the left look awesome @terb :star_struck:

4 Likes

Very nice work @Korrigan.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Here’s a project for you guys if you ever find yourself with spare parts after upgrading your basses… build a stomp box!

I made 2 today… I have a lot of spare parts. lol

8 Likes

You got to much spare time on your hands @Korrigan,
But I like your artistic imagination, it’s really cool :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

There are some downsides to being in Australia, but they’re not always obvious.
I was seized with a cunning plan, having had reasonable success with the headless BTB conversion.
I will do something quite ludicrous and spend time, effort and money converting a Ibanez Mikro bass into a headless powerhouse.
No, wait. I’ll get a FIVE stringer one for extra ludicrosity points.
I start googling. None second hand in Australia.
None NEW in Australia.
Apparently, just straight none in Australia. WTF?
Bass manager at the local shop (which is pretty big in Australia) then informs me that due to some unfathomable reason, 4 string Mikro Basses are bought into Australia, but 5 string ones aren’t.
I’ve started making up stupid reasons for this decision on the expectation that one of them will eventually be found correct.
I’ve had one order cancelled, am negotiating with another US supplier and might also have an import option sorted with MyUS.com to get one here if I can get it to Florida where they’ll onship it for a cost that isn’t too outlandish if I’m prepared to wait.
I’m prepared to wait if $600 freight can be as low as $65 which is close to the case.
An artist’s impression of what I want to do is below.

It just has to be done.

4 Likes

Wait. Tell me more. You made a stomp box with a humbucker in it. How is this meant to be used? Please say “Like a Theremin” :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You been listening to Victorian premier Daniel Andrews,
It has to be done , it’s your civil duty, get your mates around and get on the beers😂
In these testing Covid times.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

@howard, it’s an electric foot drum…

@admacdo: I feel your pain, shipping to Australia sucks. I sent a friend in Tasmania 20 empty cigar boxes (because cigar boxes are really hard to find there). The shipping cost was $200 and they took 2 months to arrive. Good luck with the Mikro!

8 Likes

that’s so cool @Korrigan ! … I just added a line to my projects to-do list … :grin:

5 Likes

The beginning of the end!

I feel I need another coat of oil, but I’m not sure I want it darker. However, the “race line” is a bit darker than I wished, so… And I seem to have missed a spot here and there.

I’m still testing knobs. I think I’ll settle for all round ones, but the volume one being a bit bigger

15 Likes

@gcancella She is looking great, it’s handy having bit’s to do a mock up
Jamie

5 Likes

Looking good @gcancella! I dig the numbered knobs myself.

7 Likes

I do to! But they are plastic, and although they look fine, they feel very cheap. I would prefer to have them metalic, but I’m already way over the budget I had set for this project.

But the way, any tip to give life to the pickups plastic? They look rather dull

4 Likes

You could wipe the pickups every once in a while with Armor All; that will make them shine temporarily. For a more permanent solution (though it can still be scratched or worn through eventually if you use the pickups as a thumb rest) you could use a clear coat spray made for plastics such as Krylon Fusion.

4 Likes