Project Basses

What a transformation @terb she is stunning.
Jamie

5 Likes

thanks !

5 Likes

After looking at this I think I like your sticker better than Schalltechnik’s decal design. Is that their enclosure or did you make it too?

Looking at the instructions it looks like it is all through-drilled and not SMT. Nice.

If this ends up with some nice tone color it’s definitely a tempting kit.

2 Likes

they give a template for the drill size and placement, I used this to make the enclosure. the sticker is a modified version of Schalltechnik’s one. If you want I’d be happy to give you the file :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! If I built one I would definitely want it :slight_smile:

Took a look at the instructions, my skills would definitely be fine for the electronics part but I have no real way to make the enclosure myself. I’d need to order one folded and drilled, or go with a plastic one of roughly the right size. I’ve made sheet metal enclosures in the past but I don’t have the tools needed here, or access to them.

Really looking forward to hearing how this sounds.

1 Like

Oh hey they sell an enclosure with the deluxe kit. That’s perfect. Wonder if it is pre-drilled.

1 Like

Ooh. This is a terrible, terrible style to use for a demo of a G-K but it sounds promising even with this noodling:

Ok here we go:

yup sounds like a G-K. Killer.

2 Likes

By the way their VMT kit sounds awesome too:

I think that one might need SMT soldering though so it would be beyond me.

edit: Ahh yeah, there’s two SMD JFET’s in it. So not only needs SMT skills but you can actually heat-destroy them accidentally with bad soldering too.

1 Like

they sell the two versions : drilled or not. in your case you’ll just have to order the drilled version and that’s it :slight_smile:

yeah I plan to order it after I finish the GK

yeah, not a big issue for me, I already had to deal with SMD electronics. if you take your time it’s not impossible.

3 Likes

Oh cool, I missed the drilled option on the basic kit. The deluxe kit doesn’t seem to have a drilled option.

This is a super tempting preamp. Looking forward to hearing how yours sounds. Could be a fun project after I finish this tube preamp rabbit hole I am going down. I love the G-K sound.

3 Likes

I ended up taking the chance and ordering the Guma Antique kit (they just got it back in stock). Looks relatively straightforward as the ICs are socketed. I should probably line up a local source of cheap replacement SMD J201s though :slight_smile:

Actually, thinking ahead, I just ordered four extra JFETs, because I am certain to destroy at least one. They are cheap so why not.

4 Likes

so cool @howard ! I can’t wait to read your review about this kit ! as you know I plan to buy and build it too :v::grin:

by the way I love the J201, those JFETs sounds and behave really close to a 12AX7. that’s the JFET I used to design and build a preamp to mod a vintage Traynor reverb unit for one of my best friends … a video with me doing a little bit of guitar noodling (3.5 years ago) to show this modded reverb :

Now my friend, who used to be the guitar player of my last band (post-rock / psychedelic stoner) moved to another continent, he sold almost all his gear and kept only one guitar and this reverb unit :grin:

3 Likes

Great story and video! Awesome that he saved the thing you made him. That reverb sounds great. So does the telecaster of course :slight_smile:

Apparently the TO-92 J201’s are getting super rare, like $4 each now. And the Dirty Little Secret clone kit I posted in the “Post your pedal ideas” topic uses five :money_with_wings:

The SMD ones were only 35 cents each though.

1 Like

wow, I might be rich because I think I have a ton of them …

yeah, honestly the modded Traynor reverb unit sounds insane. and yeah the Fender Telecaster Cabronita is a little gem.

and you forgot the VAC Hayseed 30, a boutique amp (based on the Vox AC30/4 and the 1963 AC30/6 Top Boost JMI) … that I modded … :grin:

3 Likes

I was surprised too, but check it out:

https://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Discrete-Semiconductors/Transistors/JFET/_/N-ax1rp?keyword=j201

1 Like

hard to understand

2 Likes

Apparently they are obsoleted in favor of the newer SMD mounted ones and other TO-92 package transistors have replaced them. There’s also lots of places selling tiny SMD to TO-92 adapter PCBs.

This is funny for me because the only transistors I have ever used were the packages like TO-3, TO-18, TO-92, etc. I guess some packages are redundant with SMD now.

1 Like

very probably

2 Likes

I clearly have a lot of catching up to do :slight_smile:

I found a few people discussing this on various DIY forums.

1 Like

I thank I could finish the 400RB preamp during this rainy sunday … but no, because I accidentally destroyed a ON/ON switch :woozy_face:

6 Likes