Project Basses

I found another one on the web, the exact same model from the same factory and the same years (under another brand name) . the difference with mine being that it’s in really good shape, so it shows how mine could look after some work and with the original finish :

except that I don’t think I will mount a chrome cover for the neck pickup (the fakebucker is too cute to be hidden), and I think I will make a replacement control plate in black plastic because this single white part looks very strange.

6 Likes

Gorgeous.
I also think you should leave your pickup out for the world to see.

I agree it looks strange - I love the look on the J bass style basses where the plate here matches the bridge hardware - chrome? Black would also be rad.
I’m stoked to see how yours turns out.

5 Likes

Hate to say it but I would refinish it. That is truly a hideous burst.

But otherwise this thing is totally cool :slight_smile:

The neck is going to look really great once you clean it up. Looks awesome on that other one.

5 Likes

and that’s a 42mm nut ! more a Precision Bass neck than a Jazz Bass neck, which is very good for me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@admacdo Dang! Those are some great write-ups on the work you’ve been doing. Keep them coming. I look forward to the decapitation.

3 Likes

It’s pretty awesome that your excited about the fakebuckers. :rofl:

:rofl: :joy: :rofl: Maybe it’ll end up being ironically hideous.

Regardless, @terb always does great work. I have no doubt it’ll end up being really cool.

6 Likes

yeah, actually I’m happy to have those pickups :grin: at least they’re weird and cute

5 Likes

I hate them too, I would never buy a new bass with a sunburst, and I don’t like bursts in general, even tho there are some cool burst out there, I prefer them not having them on my basses, but if I did I would prefer it to be hideously ugly like this one.
I think the hideousness of this really says something about the bass and about the time it was made. This one has a face only a mother could love, and as its mother, I suggest you love like the ugly fat kid it is.

But I wouldn’t blame you one bit if you got it some zit cream and braces and dye its hair blonde, put some fake tits on it and call it a trophy wife.

I mean it already has fake humbuckers, may as well give it fake tits too.

or fill up the sagging shell of what used to be tits, with a bunch of silicone (real humbuckers) for a real breast lift and face lift (paint it), and call it sugar mama

any way you slice it it will be fun to watch.

2 Likes

I would sand it down and paint it maybe pastel yellow or pink or orange or something. Something bright and noisy and loud, like its fakebuckers.

4 Likes

actually I expect the fakebuckers to be a little bit dark, very “vintage” and with a low output level.

I was thinking about a “aztec gold”-ish paint. but this morning in the car, on my road to work, I was thinking about a metallic pink-fuchia-purple.

or I could try to live with the ulgyburst, as @T_dub says. it’s a part of what this bass is, and it could look cool next to a cheap destroyed guitar to play some dark country with a buddy. The grunge side of dark country, somewhat.

5 Likes

Ooh. That metallic purple they use on Bongos.

maybe a little more pink.

5 Likes

yeah, I love this color, it’s very disco. which is also grunge. but I think I’m not good enough to do a decent flake paint :confused:

4 Likes

Yeah the metallic paints are usually super toxic too. At least the good ones :slight_smile:

3 Likes

oh I didn’t knew that.

4 Likes

Yeah, the metal lacquers get you with a double whammy - they are lacquers, so already bad for you to breathe, and they have suspended metal flakes too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have breathed in millions of those in my day (life in machine shops, even metal flakes in all the offices and programming rooms) and I am still kicking. LOL, barely some days, but still breathing.

2 Likes

I would have to be able to play like Robert Trujillo good,
or
Be smacked out of my mind to rock that hideous bad boy.

I DO aim to get as good as RT,
and
I ALSO aim to never get smacked out again,
so
there is only one way I play that thing

3 Likes

Yeah, though with these particular paints, they hone in on the truly bad ones. Like, good metallic gold lacquer actually has fine gold particles in it, same for silver and platinum etc. And older silver ones had lead.

So, lacquer fumes to gum you up, plus heavy metal poisoning :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I know, I was being factious (sp?) about it

3 Likes

so you’re saying it’s toxic during the painting process ? or even after the thing has been painted and dried ?

5 Likes