Project Basses

Oh yeah. They are the masters of milking stuff like this.

4 Likes

So you are saying my new 75th Anniversary Jazz Bass (Ash) is a good investment then? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well, it is until they announce that the P-Pickup Trees no longer bear fruit, or something.

5 Likes

:joy:

4 Likes

In the saxophone world, there are people who use ‘vintage hard rubber’, NOS to make mouthpieces and charge more for it, or, create blends that mimic (somehow) vintage hard rubber. The notion of vintage brass is also a thing, as the makeup of brass changed post WWII and has been cost reduced since as well. Both drive higher dollars for vintage things, whether better or not is another story (craftmanship and build quality go a longer way in my opinion).

There will always be a market for ‘lore’ and mystique. For me, its what I like and what sounds GREAT. Period.

5 Likes

So I’m sat here in beautiful Australia having my first cigarette and coffee of the day , killing time before my nutcase doctor appointment and thinking to myself “Shall I build a lime green Flying V bass?”
I’m so damn tempted at the moment just cos :joy:

5 Likes

Okay it got the better of me.
Kit ordered and I’ve hopefully secured a mahogany body instead of the bass wood one .
Watch this space :scream:

12 Likes

even the basswood body would be fine in my opinion :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The last two 5 strings I’ve built have been bass wood and they certainly are very easy to work with so I certainly agree with you there @terb . I was just being as wood snob :joy:

5 Likes

I can understand that :smiley:

4 Likes

some news about the 70’s lawsuit Jazz Bass :

• cleaning the body and pickguard
  • adapting a Jazz Bass bridge cover (it was easy)
  • wrapping the white control plate with black vynil (it looks better than what I expected)

in my opinion, it makes the uglyburst somewhat more acceptable. at this point I think I will leave the original color as is. I can always change my mind later.

14 Likes

Wow. It looks like a completely different bass now.

5 Likes

WOW indeed!
It seriously looks like a new body .
What if anything other than soap and water did you use @terb ?

5 Likes

I just used rubbing alcohol to clean the body and pickguard

4 Likes

That looks fun.
I already have the Dean MetalMan M or I might think about a V.
How much does a kit like that run tho, I still want a P bass, just plain ole P bass

2 Likes

I love this.

4 Likes

I don’t usually go for the ashtray things but that looks about 100x better :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip @terb

You can pick up a basic P bass kit for around $200 aud @T_dub.
Then the upgrades are limitless :joy:

2 Likes

yeah I agree @howard, I’m not an ashtray fan but in this case there were a lot to hide :joy: also this big cover will allow me to hide and lock in place a permanent foam block.

5 Likes

today’s episode about the lawsuit J.

hand-polishing the pickup covers … before :

and after :

bone nut :

and last but not least, the original bridge next to the new one :

11 Likes