Project Basses

… still, a bound rosewood fretboard with abalone block inlays looks really cool IMO

6 Likes

Yeah I think this is going to end up being a real looker.

4 Likes

I love abalone inlays !

3 Likes

just spit in the pocket and pop em in and be done with em. LOL
Just kidding, I am sure you will make it look great.

2 Likes

@terb, here are the basic rules of DIY, from pouring concrete to fine joinery:

1. Never force anything. ALWAYS use a hammer.
  2. If you have a problem you can’t solve, get a bigger hammer.
  3. If you got a bigger hammer and still haven’t solved the problem, it’s probably electrical.
  4. Measure once, cut seven times, if it doesn’t fit hammer it into place. If it breaks, it wasn’t meant to go there.
12 Likes

And don’t forget your two most important tools (besides the hammer, obviously):

• If it doesn’t move but should: WD-40
  • If it moves but shouldn’t: duct tape
10 Likes

Yep. WD-40, a real man’s favourite libation.

4 Likes

some news about the lawsuit JB and the new tuning machines.

The new ferrules are a little bit smaller than the original ones, so I had to reduce the diameter of the holes. I glued thin layers of wood inside the holes, it’s pretty hard to show this in picture :

I built a small press to force-fit the ferrules in place :

and voila, that’s it :

and for a next step, building a special curved press to follow the radius of the fretboard. it will be needed to glue the inlays with the right radius :

15 Likes

Very clever ideas, Laurent @terb . . . :+1:

Top notch work, too! . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

Love it! Very creative :smiley:

6 Likes

Excellent ideas @terb
I will be storing them away in my brain for later projects

5 Likes

nothing crazy today, just basic shielding with aluminum foil.

9 Likes

Interesting! Usually I see people use copper foil for that. Any particular reason why you’re using aluminum instead of copper foil? And is this just your regular foil you would use in the kitchen as well, or is it designed specifically for shielding?

8 Likes

yes : I had not enough copper foil left :joy: in theory copper is a bit better, but aluminum works almost the same. it’s not kitchen aluminum foil, it’s a sticky aluminum tape. it’s way thicker than typical kitchen foil.

10 Likes

Thanks for the explanation :+1:

6 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t have any copper when I put my Aguilar pick up in my Ray4, so I used regular aluminum foil, the cheap kind and it works just fine, I can’t hear any detectible noise.

5 Likes

And so it begins :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

What pickups are going in?

4 Likes

These ones.They’ll be cheap Chinese ones but I’ll see how they sound and if necessary hunt down some decent ones

5 Likes

Nice, can’t wait to see how this progresses. What color are you going to do it.
Are you going solid paint, or a translucent stain with clear coat or oil finish?

Guns n Guitars shows a cool way to make the grain really stick out like they do on some of the cool wood print finishes. I really dig the way it looks.

Lemme find a video.

2 Likes