Project Basses

You can see the color change easily between these 2 pics. If all goes well, I’ll start Assembly tomorrow

10 Likes

I’m now waiting on my new green pearl control plate that matches the pickguard

10 Likes

Should I keep the chrome control plate or go with the green plastic that matches the pickguard?

9 Likes

Difficult question without seeing the other panel but the original looks pretty good to me

2 Likes

It looks identical to the pickguard but is plastic

3 Likes

I do like the contrast though

4 Likes

I like the chrome, but that look is more like a J Bass where matching with the pickguard is more like a P Bass, and I am a J Bass guy so take it with some salt

4 Likes

Since it’s a J then maybe I should keep it chrome

3 Likes

I like the chrome

4 Likes

I’d go with the chrome.

3 Likes

My project J is getting this one:

It’s chrome with enamelled bas relief inlays.

10 Likes

I think someone else here used that one.
Super sweet piece.

5 Likes

That was likely me! I was blown away by the quality for the price when it arrived from Amazon. I mean, $9 shipped to the door…

6 Likes

Well, I made some progress installing the pickup but couldn’t get it finished. Two problems. First is the hole from the pickup to the cavity is too small for the wire connector for the EMG pickup. I have a few choices. I could snip the connector off, and solder the wire to the volume pot. I could make the hole bigger somehow. Or I could route a channel from pickup to the cavity. Wouldn’t be seen as it’s all under the pickguard.

I don’t know. Suggestions are welcome. Will probably get some wire and practice soldering tomorrow.

Second issue, the cavity isn’t big enough to fit the new pots. I need to take away some wood, not much I can almost get the plate back on. Ordered a Dremel and will fix that when it gets here.

5 Likes

I don’t know jacksh$t but…. if it’s under the pickguard and you’ve got a Dremel ….yeee haw

3 Likes

I’m not sure about the EMG connecter specifically, but frequently with these multi connecters the wires have a metal pin which are then inserted onto the plastic body.

It’s usually possible to release the metal pin from the plastic body. You can then route the wires individually and reassemble into the plastic connector.

2 Likes

I just had this issues yesterday taking an EMG P pickup out of a bass. I snipped the ground wire and it can be easily resoldered.

The pins/connectors are super small and I’d be afraid of trying to take it apart without damaging it

2 Likes

@Wombat-metal
Just to clarify, when you said hole I assume you meant the cable holes, if that’s the case just widen the holes would do. If not I’d just cut and splice the middle to keep the soderless connectors as is.

As for the cavity, well you would no need more than 3 knobs anyways on that bass I’ve done a few things with emg. One, I move the output jack to the body edge, I know it can be pia but it looks great and then you’d get your full cavity for your pots.

Or, carefully route for more space. Though it sounded like you need more depth in the cavity so maybe just carved out a few mm with Dremel would do the job.

3 Likes

The Poison Apple J-bass is done! Took it to Terry at Guitar Junkyard today and spent 2 hours wiring it, fixing the neck and tuning it.

All 3 together. I’m going to save up some money because he has one for $220. Looks like a Rick 4003.

15 Likes

Nice job! Love the unique headstock shape

4 Likes