Project Basses

That’s a unique shape, very light, much less overbearing than any of the “fender-alikes”. When it’s strung, will the G string pass over the wood, or does it catch the cut away? If the latter, won’t it be concerning that it may be a little weaker under tension in that area?

3 Likes

That’s a good question and one I hadn’t considered, but it SHOULD be over the wood, though it’ll be close. I haven’t had a chance to try it out yet. Terry at Guitar Junkyard marked the bridge placement but I had to take the tape off for painting. I have the measurements for it but won’t know where the G placement will be until I set up the bridge and the tuner peg. I may do that next Sunday when I actually have a day off from work.

4 Likes

Even with all of the preparations I did, forgetting some things is inevitable. I made sure that there was enough room on the back of the headstock to mount the tuners but I forgot about the G string placement.

3 Likes

If needed, you can place it with a rod or wood dowel or something, drilled and glued into place.
Could looklike a headstock handle

3 Likes

That would be an interesting piece

3 Likes

Even if you fit a pc of different wood, glued it, then planed or sanded it flat, could look cool too

4 Likes

New pickguard came in today…green pearl

6 Likes

@athosmr2003 , that pickguard is the business!

4 Likes

Before you start fixing it, make sure there is actually a problem :smiley:

Remember the cardinal imperative: if it ain’t broke, don’t f**ng fix it.

3 Likes

Terry’s already fitted the neck, so once I’m done with the painting and lacquering I’ll put the bridge on and at least that tuner peg to see if it needs correcting. It’s going to be close.

3 Likes

I have an identically colored control panel coming too but it’ll be a few weeks…it’s coming from China. I’ve also ordered some DR LO Rider nickel strings for it too.

4 Likes

Agree, just helping prepare a plan in case it is needed

4 Likes

I have a unique idea IF it needs to be done. I may have to order what I need now though or it won’t be in before next Sunday when I actually have time to work on it.

4 Likes

I might fix it anyway because stressed wood might take awhile to fall

5 Likes

@Wombat-metal , or else snap off if the headstock bumps into something.

2 Likes

So my project bass is started.

Squier Jaguar H Bass - will be here next week

Squier H

Emg MMHZ Pickup
mmhz_1

And a BTC bass/treble EQ

btc-control

And a Hipshot bridge with D’Addario tapewound strings

My first bass project, hopefully not my last :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I am really eager to hear how you like this one.

3 Likes

Me too mate. I sometimes have second thoughts and think that a Raay4 would have been smarter, because the Jag has only two knobs and that really limits what you can do.

But I’m pretty stoked for this. Aiming for a working man’s bass.

4 Likes

One thing I’ve learned today…don’t do a lesson if you’ve been varnishing your latest bass project. I got my hands sticky working on the Poison Apple bass varnishing that dark cherry neck and even though I washed my hands about 8 times, they’re still sticky.

3 Likes

should be a very nice instrument @Wombat-metal :sunglasses:

5 Likes