Project Basses

La Bella Flats 760FS

2 Likes

Thanks, I think I’ll go with those when I set up a bass for flats.

1 Like

Sometimes things things just work out. My PBass was shipped Monday, and it’s on track to be here Friday, and it’s still showing on time. Which these days, isn’t a given.

My Geezer pickup, when I ordered it the web site said it would ship in 10-14 business days; that EMG makes the pickups to order. So happily surprised that it shipped today and should also be here Friday. Guess I know what I am doing
this weekend.

11 Likes

Hey I just noticed this thread. I’ve never built or refurbished a bass but I’m desperate to try it. The reason why is because my day job is owning a tabletop gaming store and we carry a line of awesome color changing metallic paints called TurboDork and they are so cool when used right that they would make a bass look so cool. Normally they are only sold in tiny 17ml bottles but I know the owner of the company and was thinking of getting him to send me a much bigger bottle of one of their colors. If you’re looking for an amazing paint job and don’t mind airbrushing 3-5 coats of paint on top of gloss black over the entire body of a bass (or just want cool ideas for a look to shoot for) check them out. They have a huge line of turbo shift color changers and regular Metallics in some cool colors as well. The color I’d kill to have a bass in is called 4-D Glasses.

3 Likes

Started cleaning and stripping the Warwick tonight.
Neck off first and the small crack repaired.
Then on to cleaning the fretboard, wires and giving the neck a clean and a feed/ wax. Used Howard Feed-n-Wax on the neck after giving it a wipe with lemon oil.

Then on to the body. Thorough clean off with shellitte and then 4 coats of the feed-n- wax followed by the first 2 coats of bees wax.

11 Likes

@Mac what woods are the neck and fingerboard?

3 Likes

The neck is ovangkol and the fretboard is wenge @HowlinDawg

5 Likes

That’s what I reckoned.
Be really careful working on the Wenge.
It’s lovely wood but gives Nasty splinters.

4 Likes

I noticed it looked like it could be that way. Beautiful grain but almost strange looking

4 Likes

holy dirty frets, nice job!

4 Likes

Yeah that’s cleaning up very nicely.

4 Likes

A little more progress tonight using a nice oil/wax mix

20 Likes

That looks really great, @Mac . . . :+1:

Very nice work.

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Few basses look better in oil finished wood than Warwick. It’s just a natural for them.

5 Likes

Looking super good man

4 Likes

Thank you @Jazzbass19 @howard @John_E
Got to say I thought I’d never like a chunky neck but I’m digging this one.
Glad I play sitting though. She’s a little hefty :scream:

5 Likes

I’ve managed to source some new pickups and new wiring from a place in France just to finish the job properly.
I was going to attempt to sand out the few pick marks and dings in the body but I’ve decided that as they are part of the basses story I’m going to leave them . The fresh finish softens their impact on the overall look so it’s all good.

5 Likes

I like the big ol’ Warwick necks too. There was one thing I disliked about my Streamers that led me to sell them, but it won’t affect your 'vette. Nice bass.

4 Likes

Hmmm… Bacchus Woodline Brown Oil Finish would like a word… :grin:

4 Likes

I did say “few” :slight_smile:

3 Likes