Project Basses

assuming the bottom mockup is wood that matches the fretboard, I would vote for that.

3 Likes

I always was envyous of the students on the artistic side of RIT, while in engineering fretting away at differential equations (for which I have still found no use for 30+ years later).

4 Likes

Ahh, Diff EQ, as we called it. Elegant, interesting, and in the end what prevented me from taking any extra classes and picking up a math minor, instead just focusing on exactly what I needed for my major and no more. It was the last math class I took, and I barely finished it.

3 Likes

Same here!

4 Likes

just the term ‘differential equation’ makes me break out in a cold sweat. :joy:

4 Likes

Apart from clear-coat it’s finished. I went with Iroko but sneaked a maple veneer between the body and control panel, which is invisible unless you are playing so maybe not worth the effort.

w

7 Likes

Very nice work, @jonathanhaynes43 . . . :slight_smile:

:+1:
Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Ok here is the $100 Ibanez Gio…from what I’ve learned online, it’s just called a Gio P Bass…it’s definitely a project…needs new tuner pegs, strings, pickups and bridge. From what Terry said, the truss rod is good.

6 Likes

If it doesn’t work out, for that price you can leave it next to the door at night (just in case!)

6 Likes

@Barney it’s a heavy thing too so it’ll dent some heads

4 Likes

I got this Ray 4 from Albert a month or so ago, and had some ideas for the build.

I found a buyer for the bass, and we collaborated to come up with this bass. I had originally planned to black it out, which would still look great, especially with this body color.
The buyer came up with the idea of the chrome saddles.

and found the pick guard and control plate in carbon fiber.
This look with chrome saddles led to the use of the original chrome knobs, and screws which I think really pulls the whole bass together as you can see in final shots.

The buyer also found a set of carbon fiber open gear clover tuners in carbon fiber, but the $189.99 price tag didn’t add up for this bass, but it would make it look insane. Those are for a super high end build, these tuners are just imports that equal what was comes on a Ray 4 stock.

And for final shots.

Electronics:
Kent Armstrong MM Pick up
MojoTone replica '78 MM 2 band pre-amp
extras:
GHS Boomers - Flea Signature 45-105

Parting thoughts.
Loved the Kent Armstrong pick up, it is warm, very loud, warm, and extremely clear. I first hooked it up with the stock preamp, so I got to hear it with the stock and MojoTone pick up. It was great with each.

13 Likes

Love the look @T_dub
Nice idea about the two color bridge/saddle deal.

3 Likes

The Peavey is turning into a small project with the wrap I’m doing on the pickguard. I decided to go with the matte gold but the sanding took longer than I expected. Not sure what the square area is about though

5 Likes

Thanks for the build @T_dub ! For a guy that only ever had passive basses you got me on two active Ray basses now. This one looks the business, plays really well and

I love the versatility of the simple two band eq.

9 Likes

Glad you like it Jesse, it’s amazing what good lighting can do for photographing basses. Wish I had better lighting here.
Yeah, I appreciate the versatility of a 3 band eq, but I am usually happier with the simplicity of the 2 band as well.

6 Likes

Looks really cool :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Great looking bass, @T_dub! Good call on the chrome saddles with the black bridge :+1:t3:

I think there used to be a sticker there.

6 Likes

I couldn’t tell because it was recessed…had to sand the edges down a LOT

4 Likes

Well, the project bass I got from Guitar Junkyard is coming along…it’s a mostly black guitar already but now I have black Ibanez tuner pegs and black strings with a black bridge coming from Reverb…all told, I’ve spent less than $150 on it.

3 Likes

Shortscale warmoth p bass. I did the finish with aerosol nitro in a ventilated bedroom in my house. My first time, and I learned a lot of lessons from a handful of mistakes. She’s not perfect, but she’s one of a kind. I find warmoth routs their p pickup cavities too deep so I had to make some shims out of veneer.

a

13 Likes