Project Basses

Good job, good luck, good night

3 Likes

Oh cool, so you decided to dowel the neck and re-drill? Sounds like a good plan to me.

5 Likes

So, I did a thing and I have a question.

To avoid more routing (of which I had to do a bunch already and still have some ahead of me) I decided to go the passive route with two MM style humbuckers, one in the Jazz position, the other in the P position (my original plan). This is instead of using the active soapbars and preamp. To this end I designed and 3D printed a routing template:

PLA, 50% infill, 1/8" sidewalls.

Now for the question. Since I had planned to do a side jack anyways, I now have a 4 holed control panel to work with. I’m planning to go with 2 stacked pots VT/VT and two 3-way ON-ON-ON switches. Because the pups have split coils, I’m planning to set up the switches single-parallel-series.

With that in mind, here is question part the first, I read that MM-style humbuckers should have a 0.022µF tone cap. Is this correct, or should I just go with the 0.047?

Question part the second, is if I wanted to wire the third option on the switch like G&L’s OMG mode, what would be the configuration for that? Is it done by putting an additional tone cap on or is there one tone cap for the single and parallel modes and another for the OMG mode?

4 Likes

The higher the value of cap, the more the roll-off of high frequencies will occur.
So it is not so much P/J vs. Humbucker but more of what sound you are looking for, and, if you want to ‘tame’ that humbucker’ a high end or not.

Since they are easy to pop in and out, why not try each one and see what you like (something I have wanted to do but not done yet).

5 Likes

Have you considered a Humbucker in the neck position and an MM near the bridge?

2 Likes

Do you mean a humbucking soapbar in the neck position and an MM humbucker in the bridge? My current plan is is to have MM humbuckers in both positions.

3 Likes

Yes, a humbucking soapbar in the neck an mM in the bridge. I kinda like the sound

Hope to have a clip up in a few days

6 Likes

Well, I’ll probably have to wait a few days before I chew into my bass, so maybe I’ll hold off until you are done. Sounds like an interesting proposition.

4 Likes

@Al1885 I seem to remember you being a fan of the Fender roasted maple necks. Do you happen to know the weight for one? I’m trying to work out the remaining weight budget for a body design.

5 Likes

Hey @DaveT i don’t remember the weight but I remember comparing it to the regular fender p bass maple neck and it was very little difference, a few ounces the big different in weight is the tuners. Both necks feel very light until you put on the tuners and man they are tip heavy. Good news is the toasted maple neck comes with no holes predrilled so if you want to put the fender fluted tuners or hipshot it’s blank slate.

Hope this helps.

5 Likes

I gave in to boredom on Christmas Eve and went down to the shed to waste some time. The piece of wood I had left for a fretboard was only long enough to make a guitar (this is my first).

The neck is the same profile as my favourite Fender, I have no idea if guitars are different - any advice anyone…

I am trying screw-in bolt sockets for the first time (bag of 50 from Screwfix for £3)

After spending a month fixing my last fretboard, I spent four hours making round ended frets and polishing the scratches out.
Now I have to devise a body shape I can squeeze out of two pieces of Iroko 450x90x28 and 600x90x28.

6 Likes

The body is a cut down Les Paul shape, with four glue joints, and cresting waves stolen from Rickenbacker.

7 Likes

First dry assembly, and I discovered that my genius idea to get around the body being thinner (28mm) than a jack socket (32mm), failed miserably.

So I need to add 5mm to the body (where the white paper template is).

I have a piece of maple which matches the fretboard, or a piece of iroko to match the body - which should it be ?

4 Likes

extremely quick little photoshop color mockup to help you decide:

7 Likes

@mgoldst You are a star.
I think Iroko.

1 Like

no problem, and i agree on iroko. i do these little photoshop mockups when building furniture all the time - much easier to snap a pic and play with colors digitally than spending 10 hours on putting on finish/paint/stain/wood/whatever just to find out i hate it.

3 Likes

Obviously a man of many talents, what sort of furniture ?

2 Likes

various - working on an master’s. i have pieces posted on my insta at https://www.instagram.com/mgoldst/

3 Likes

Very nice, furniture that is art.

2 Likes

That appears to be a very useful tool, @mgoldst . . . :wink:

Thanks for your upload :+1:

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes