Project Basses

I don’t think the Spoke Wheel Nut is patented. Many guitars use it too. EVH comes to mind.

Stew Mac sells them. Spoke Wheel Truss Rod Nut - StewMac

Fender introduced it in their American Elite Bass series a few years back but I don’t think it was well received by the Fender crowd since the line is now discontinued.

4 Likes

I’d love a Fender with this truss rod system, but the dual action truss rod with the nut in the headstock works fine too.

4 Likes

Yes I like the wheel as well

5 Likes

Although the ‘loosen the neck’ thing is annoying, I only have it on 2, and although I would most likely not buy another, I don’t mind it too too much. I like being interactive with my basses in a setup/maintenence sort of way.

3 Likes

Scored a Seymour Duncan Steve Harris P pickup and a Hipshot Kickass bridge today for my Frankenbass project.

Since I haven’t procured the bass neck/body donor yet I’m going to temporarily sacrifice my old Ibanez as a test bed for the electronics build.

Plan is to use a standard P-bass circuit initially, I’m considering putting in a pre-amp and a 2 band EQ though.

5 Likes

I have these on my P-clone with Steve Harris strings. I love it, it’s like a treblier, bitier :hamburger:

4 Likes

Love Steve Harris bass. Here are my two.

7 Likes

@John_E do your Gretsch pickup volume pots have a discontinuity close to full on?

No not at all. That’s not good if your seeing that.

4 Likes

Wow. Impressef. Congrats

2 Likes

Any update on this @Koldunya ? Interested to see how it goes…

4 Likes

Final piece arrived, installation soon.

P.S. black stripe is phone reflection

7 Likes

That’s some funky looking knobs? Stacked?

2 Likes

Knobs? You mean these housings above bridge?

They are like stakes, you put this goldish part into wood, and then screw this part which is chrome into it to hold bridge in place. You can see this on most pre 2018 musicman basses.

Heres how it looks.

7 Likes

Threaded inserts :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I had no idea how you call them.

3 Likes

No worries. Its an elegant way of mounting threaded fasteners in a soft material. It helps spread the load over a larger contact surface with the wood and allows you to remove the fastener without damaging the base material. Congrats.

3 Likes

Ha ok yes it’s a MM style bridge. Not sure why my mind went to knobs right away.

4 Likes

I literally have all the hardware and electronics but now I don’t have the space in the air-conditioned garage I used to have (there’s a car there now :sob: )

5 Likes

It cooled off slightly but it was humid af. I drug my table out to the front porch and did some work on the SRC6. I sanded the neck and the SDGR logo held up very well :eyes:

Front of the headstock has a pretty good grain to it, too :thinking:

I’m not messing with purple on the body for now. I’m going to stain it black and consider that for another time. Probably buy a small piece of mahogany to practice on; I want my SRC6 back as playable…

10 Likes