Pros and cons of semi-hollow basses (eg Reverend Dub King)

it’s just a fact

2 Likes

Facts are the best arguments, dude :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yeah but I was talking about the Telecaster thinline only as an example of a semi-hollow design, derived from a solid body one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m afraid that I will not get any data about the Dub King as nobody seems to own one. Why? It’s a beauty! It sounds great on YouTube! Meshell Ndegeocello plays Revernd basses! WTF?

Will I be the first?

I will write an email to Reverend to solve at least dimension issues…

1 Like

@John_E Love the collection. That Gretch looks awesome.

Semi-hollow
Pros
It looks great
It looks classic
It should produce a unique sound
It will inspire some fun bass lines

Cons
It can be prone to feedback
It’s not as durable as solid body
If it doesn’t come with back plate, any mods can be pain in the rear
It can suffers with some balance issues

The Dub King looks to be chambered and not semi hollow. I could be wrong. I have my Starbass and for now at least it’s enough to hold down the urge, :joy:

1 Like

Ah, finally I got some more information out of you. Took you long enough :slight_smile:

What do you mean with “chambered” and what does that mean in terms of sound etc.?

Would you advise it? I’m looking for a solidbody short scale sound with that little “extra” … soul, for a lack of a better word.

1 Like

I totally feel this way about bikes, but I’ve realized I really like zingy new string sounds so I think I’m going to keep the number of basses I own down. Otherwise I’m going to have to spend a fortune on strings!

I’ll just use the savings to get another bike :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I feel that the N+1 rule is a quantitative approach, in contrast to a qualitative approach.
Does that not mean that one doesn’t value the basses one has, making them interchangeable? It’s a little like screwing around instead of true love. It takes away the love and magic of things a little, in my opinion!?!?!

For bikes I have:

• A Mountain Bike … for mountains.
  • A Gravel Bike for everything else
  • A “Stadtschlampe” (“City Bitch”) which is good but looks bad, so it will not be stolen in daily use.

What else does one need? (In terms of basses I am undecided, but I find 2-3 a good number of basses, except when you’re @Al1885 :-))

But I am the romantic type … in all things. I need to TRULY love!

3 Likes

Hollow and semi hollow will sound different than the solid body bass. Chambered body sounds similar to solid body maybe a little warmer because the string has different resonance.

Above all else it’s lighter. Almost about the same weight as the solid body. Good because it’s so big.

1 Like

If it sounds the same as a solid body, the Dub King makes no sense, as I could get another short scale much easier here. I’m only looking for a larger body if it gives me better sound - that’s what it’s all about in the end, right?

Did you listen to the sound samples? The first video is short…

EDIT Weight of the Dub King is almost the same as solid body…

Well the bass that everyone should have is the trio of Leo.
Precision bass
Jazz bass
And a Stingray.

This would cover most of the tone you heard as well as the style of basses.

Then move on to the contemporary.
Ibanez
Yamaha
Sire M series
Warwick

In your case if you want a short scale get a short scale. I love both Mustang and SS Stingray. They are super awesome. If you get the mustang it’s more fun to get it with the mustang pickups. Super unique awesome tone.

1 Like

Andy can play anything and make it sounds like anything. If you want to know what it sounds like search for some noobs playing. You’ll have a better idea.

1 Like

Yeah, we had that discussion before.
I don’t know why, but the Mustang doesn’t do it for me. Maybe cause my subconsciousness does not forgive you for criticizing (rightfully) the Mike Kerr Bass??! :slight_smile:
I haven’t even listened to the Mustang. Stupid me!

Maybe I’m looking for something more modern? Or something more “special” (like the Dub King would be)?
Something must be wrong with me.

The SS Stingray would be very popular in some parts of Germany, because of the name. So for a very wrong reason!
My reason against that one is that I definitely want two pickups to play around…

So, I sold my liver and I can go to about 1000€, max 1500€ now. When I spend 1500€ we also need to discuss where to get a new girlfriend, though ^^

PS The second/longer video has a noob playing the Dub King…

1 Like

Sorry about that, many apologies to your bank account

1 Like

Yeah, @swiens - it is all your fault! I had a plan. I was 100% convinced what I wanted. And then you posted this beautiful bass and now I am back to square one :slight_smile:

Can my girlfriend mail you her opinion - she knows some new english words that she wants to use :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would be my choice if I wanted a short scale. Quite close to a smaller Precision.

1 Like

Just from the looks of it, I would prefer a Jaguar - but I guess the same disadvantages mentioned for the Mike Kerr model are true for the Jaguar (@Al1885 ?). If not, would the Jaguar be a bad (worse) choice?

PS @swiens - I’m still on course for the Dub King, but again: may the best short scale win!

No. But for me, Mustang are short scale and Jaguar are long scale, that’s how the guitars are, so the basses “must” be the same way. That’s just how I see things regarding the historical Fender range.

But a short scale Jaguar is fine for what it is, no problem at all.

You’re right, d@mn! The Kerr Model is short scale…

1 Like

@chris_van_hoven I always enjoy throwing a wrench in people’s plans lol. I think its the best looking of the bunch but like you said it’s not one you can try first.

If you want me to be the fall guy for your gf let me know, I’m used to it haha.

1 Like