Rack build [finished]

This is going to be plenty strong, @terb . . . :wink:

How do you plan to finish it? . . . Stain it, paint it, cover it with Tolex (or other black vinyl), add chrome metal corner armor, etc. ?

Cheers, Joe :+1:

2 Likes

I have some tolex so I may use it for this project ! not sure exactly what I will do at this point

2 Likes

also I think I will add an amp handle on the side, and not on top. I want to be able to stack things over the rack if needed (and then it’s better not to have a handle on top) and I want to be able to walk with the rack like if I were hanging a small suitcase (which means more “vertical” than an amp head with the handle on top). also I plan to add some rubber pads on the other side and on the bottom panel.

don’t know at all if it’s clear :joy:

2 Likes

sanded flush

4 Likes

Understand exactly what you’re talking about, @terb . . . :slight_smile:

You’re very multi-talented ! :grin:

3 Likes

Front panel. this is a rather unusual design for a rack, and I’m pretty happy with it right now. This front panel serves several purposes :

• protect the preamp : the pots are recessed and less exposed
  • hide the top 2U space : I could use a rackmount power amp but I think I will use this space for some pedals (BDI21, FX84 …) and maybe a small power amp. it will not look very neat so I find it’s cool to hide (and protect) all this with the front panel
  • give the thing a classic amp look and feel (think about the old Hiwatt heads) : I find it classy

:grin:

6 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

I’m wondering if it would be better with a straight front panel, just a 2U rectangle to hide the top space over the preamp. what do you think ?

1 Like

Nope. I think it’s a great idea. Cover it all with Tolex and it’s going to look pretty bad ass. Doing it this way (hiding the mounting) makes it look like something finished instead of just a rack mount. :+1:

3 Likes

rounding the edges. this step is NOT fun. the normal way to do this would have been to use a router and a round bit, but I don’t have the right bit here. so I have to work with sandpaper, and the result is not easily regular. it will be fine, but it takes forever.

happily we have some time, thanks to an added month of quarantine :woozy_face:

1 Like

So, you can’t move because of quarantine?? Is it the very strict kind, where you are not allowed to leave your property?? That’s rough…

1 Like

more or less … we can leave our homes only to go buy some food or this kind of first necessity goods, and we need an official paper to show to the policemen to justify why we’re not at home. there are police controls everywhere. strange ambiance, very anxiety inducing.

what’s the situation where you are ?

2 Likes

Much more relaxed, compared to your situation…

We are all urged to stay at home as much as possible, but we don’t have to carry a special document when we are moving about. I tend to avoid shops these days, but, of course, you need to have food and stuff. But, if we wanted to, we could go to the garden store, the hardware store or even the music store… (and I have done all of the above). But, mostly I keep it to the most necessary things! (And, right now, I am probably most missing the barber shop for a haircut :crazy_face: Yes, a total luxury problem!!)

I guess they appeal to people to be rational here (and adhere to the main “rules”), and for the most part that seems to work.

I am involved in a conference in France in September, and we really hope we can have it allowed and that people can travel… otherwise, it is a lot of money going down the drain…

Keep safe (and sane)!!

2 Likes

all those shops are closed here. even the public gardens are closed. only the first necessity shops are open, and that’s not at all the same thing than before the virus. I’ll try to take some pictures the next time I’ll have to go buy some food !

keep safe too !

2 Likes

Damn dude, that’s awful. Here in the US, it’s mostly like @joergkutter described.

Stay well. Stay safe.

1 Like

yeah but I’m happy to live in the country, and to have some space outside near my house. I’m sorry for all those who are quarantined in a tiny appartment in the middle of a city, with no way to even see the sunlight :fearful:

2 Likes

Tolex. this is really tricky, for sure the hardest step for me as I’m not experienced at all with this kind of job. and I believe that the glues I have here are not at all ideal for this use. But again, I do with what I have. I started with the front panel :

looks not bad at the end :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

The same applies in The Netherlands. And it seems to be working.

3 Likes

That looks great, @terb . . . :+1:

What kind of glue did you use?

2 Likes

at first I used a spray glue, don’t know really what type it is. it’s a strange glue, it behaves a bit like neoprene but I don’t think it is. the strange thing is that this glue takes time to become sticky, and then it does not dry completely, it’s still a bit sticky. strange. then for the corners and the rounded zones, I used wood glue (the same than for all the wood parts) and clamps. the wood glue works fine but takes time to dry. I might use this glue for the rack itself, or another wood glue I also have.

to be honest I don’t know at all what I’m doing :sweat_smile:

5 Likes