Rack build [finished]

Awesome build. If that’s what you come up with “scrap laying around”, I a can only imagine what you would do with the materials you would “select” for the job. Great job

3 Likes

I must say I believe it’s more pleasant for me to see a few scrap pieces turn into a useful thing (because yes I really needed this rack), than the same result made from new materials. I like recycling and all this kind of things.

also this kind of rack is pretty expensive if you buy it ; here it costed me exactly zero money, and it would have been pretty cheap to build even if I had to buy all the material, I think.

anyway thank you all for your kind words ! it’s a joy to show you this little quarantine project. hopefully this build might give some ideas and motivate a few fellows to do their own :grin:

4 Likes

I certainly see your point of creating something so nice from next to nothing. I did not mean to diminish that fact at all. It is great you had the correct, or correct enuf stuff lying around th get what you wanted made for sure.

2 Likes

adding two (removable) thin steel rails on the top 2U zone :

… to hold the front panel with Neodymium magnets :

4 Likes

Looking better and better, @terb . . . :slight_smile:

3 Likes

rubber feet :

(strange light this morning)

6 Likes

No spikes? :wink:

1 Like

The finishing touch.

1 Like

almost done :slight_smile:

3 Likes

white pipping :

5 Likes

Ooo. :heart:

2 Likes

… yeah, sure … :roll_eyes:

so, I flag this build as “finished” as it “works” and I can’t do more with only what I have here. in fact I’ll have to add a handle after the quarantine, the only one I have is not the right size so I’ll add it later, but it’s more an option than the rack itself.

here is the thing with the preamp in :

I like how it looks over the Ampeg, pretty much a “boutique amp” look and feel

one view from the back ; you can see I have plenty of room in the upper 2U space for a power amp and/or some pedals :

:v::grin:

7 Likes

um okay wow

… gonna add some corner reinforcement?

don’t know, I will look at the existing models after the quarantine !

Terrific job, Laurent @terb! . . . :+1:

It’s been great following your progress through this project . . . :slight_smile:

Your work is impeccable and matches the white piping on the Ampeg perfectly. No one could ever tell it wasn’t factory made!

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

Stunning!

2 Likes

Man, this was such a cool project and the final product is really professional looking. Adding that piping took it to the next level. Thanks for posting all the pictures.

I have to ask, how did you just happen to have Tolex and white piping laying around for an impromptu project?

1 Like

I built a lot of guitar amps in the past, I still have a ton of spare parts :v::grin: I did mostly the electronic part, but also some wood work occasionnaly.

1 Like

You’ve talked about wanting a new amp in other threads, have you considered just building your own? If not, what’s the downside?

it takes a lot of time to build a one-of-a-kind amp ! and costs way more than a normal amp.

1 Like