Reverb site for 2nd hand gear

Hi just wondered if anyone else looking for second hand kit in the UK has the same experience as me with the Reverb site? Tried using it for first time.
Seems a lot of stuff for sale second hand is as expensive as what I could get it for brand new via PMT or Gear4Music or other UK retailers. Some stuff is actually more expensive even though it’s second hand!
Is the idea of the site you ignore the selling price and use the ‘make offer’ button? Seems a waste of time.
I just find it weird that for the sample of stuff I looked for (effects pedals in this instance), most of the stuff was no saving at all or even more than new. And we are not talking stuff that’s out of stock so hard to find. Weird.

5 Likes

I’ve only been using that site for a short time and I must agree with you. The key is to find what you’re looking for at the best price and make an offer. I’ve already had a couple offers rejected, but finally got one accepted and made the purchase.
You also have to be careful of the shipping costs which can kill any potential savings.

5 Likes

One thing to I have noticed with Reverb is that the sellers vary and are often music stores using Reverb as an online store. So they will be pricing gear like they would in their store and the saving might appear minimal. Seems like they should be amenable to offers at least.

5 Likes

I’m just not sure the philosophy of having to make offers on every second hand item on sale, as the seller has deliberately overpriced the item in the first place, or hopes you won’t notice the delivery charge is high enough to ship a tank rather than a pedal, is worth it?
At least on eBay you have a genuine auction, or a buy-now price which, if you accept it, you know the item is yours. On reverb you make an offer and wait.
I won’t give up on Reverb but it is more hassle than it should be.

4 Likes

That’s true and a lot of stuff is marked as brand new. I filter on the second hand stuff only.
If I’m going to pay full price, I’ll do it through a retailer I know and have experience of their customer service generally.

4 Likes

I recently listed my first item on Reverb. I believe that when you list something 2nd hand that it always uses the MAKE OFFER button.
No
Actually, I recall, there is a check button asking if you ACCEPT OFFERS.
I believe it is checked by default, so it is Kind of part of the format to sell on Reverb.

5 Likes

How are the listing and selling fees on Reverb? I have just about given up on selling on Ebay because their fees have gotten so high it’s hardly worth selling anything on there.

5 Likes

It depends on what you want to get for the items.
Most things go for standard retail. many other things go for WAY over retail with insane shipping fees. I wonder how those ever sell anything.

If you are will ing to list a couple bucks UNDER the total selling price, so listed price plus shipping, then you have a chance.

Then you have to consider the couple % selling fee. if you can live with that price, then you get some good exposure. More then I get locally on Offer Up and Let Go.

They will BUMP your listing if you tack on a few% of the sales price. They bump in tiers, starting at 1/2% up to 5%

I saw no reason to bump mine, because I only searched 10 like items, all new and mine is just in mint condition.

2 Likes

I know what you’re saying and in some ways you are correct. Reverb is basically musicians selling to musicians. So they don’t tend to mark down as much as some marketplaces do. I have seen pedals where the cheapest used one is $15 less than new, might as well get new. Not everything there is a screaming deal, but they are there. I bought my friend a like new $2800 guitar for $1700. And also don’t forget that it cuts both ways, that when you sell there you can get back a pretty good price.

5 Likes

Well, WHAT DO YOU KNOW.

IT SOLD!!! My Zoom B1-four for $70 with $15 ship on Reverb.
I didn’t expect that at all, it seems like something that is flooded in the market. I just listed it less then a week ago too.

Hey,maybe there is something to this REVERB spot. Just list things a few dollars, In my case $5 lower then the lowest item (within reason, same conditions apply)

cool, more money for the pot, I will get that Stingray one day. :wink:

4 Likes

I’ve managed to find a second hand pedal on Reverb that was actually priced like a second hand pedal, and zero postage fees, so I took the plunge. But it took lots of hunting through the dross/chancers asking full price/adverts that weren’t actually available when you check…
So in a few days (hopefully) something that works will turn up, for about half new price.

3 Likes

cool, what did you find?

3 Likes

I bought a used TC Electronics Corona chorus pedal on reverb for a good price. It should be here tomorrow. I just hope it’s in as good of shape as the seller stated (Mint).

3 Likes

I am guessing that you don’t want to miss state you items there, because you can report the seller if it is not, and give bad reviews, and that will kill independent sellers on there, especially since we are in competition with the bigger sellers

2 Likes

I bought from Reverb a Boss NS-2 noise suppression pedal. But also in the last few minutes also a second hand Boss RC-3 looper station.

3 Likes

I like Reverb a lot. I have only been on it for about three months and I have sold three and bought two 4 strings, plus some other stuff. It beats the H out of Craig’s List! No spammers and no mutts.

They allow you to make up your own “shop” name for your account. That can make it a little confusing about if you are dealing with an individual or a music store at times…

They just raised their selling fee to 5%. They offer you painless UPS and USPS shipping labels and at discounted freight charges. After your first sale they will deposit the balance of your sales amount ( after freight and their fee is deducted) directly into your checking account as soon as the tracking number goes live with the carrier.

I am shipping a Fender P/J on Monday. It sold the second day it was listed. At this pint I give them two thumbs up!

But… it can give you the worst case of GAS that you ever had.

3 Likes

Yeah, plus there is that BUMP fee if you want it to show up higher in search results. I guess it depends what you are selling too. My Zoom B1-four had 10 competitor Items, so It was not gonna get buried. If you had something that was not super stand out, like a Squire P bass, it could get buried in the mix with the amount that are listed, it might help to pay the bump fee, but then, at least for me, I would have to raise the price a little to get what I wanted.

Do you have Offer Up or Let Go apps. I sell and buy a lot off of there. best part is no seller fees’ unless you ship something, but you can opt to not ship and it only shows up in your local market on Offer Up, let go doesn’t even deal with shipping.
I heard of another App called 5 miles, which is very localized.
I have not had any problem with spammers or fake / fraud sellers on either site.

And yet, I still use reverb. Only thing I don’t use is CL

2 Likes

Have we uncovered another ailment? Gear Flipping Syndrome (GFS)?

3 Likes

Yep GFS. In my (our?) ever changing quest to amass the right keeper Guitars and the right string/pedal/you name it combination, GAS and GFS go hand in hand.

I call it reallocating my assets.

4 Likes

Ya know, we might wanna stop this anagram from becoming mainstream yet.
GFS, GEAR FLIPPING SYNDROME.
if we change it to
GFA - GEAR FLIPPING AILMENT, it is more musically correct.
Likewise, if we change
GAS - GEAR ACQUISITION SYNDROME
to
GAB - GEAR ACQUISITION BUG, it is also more musically correct

as long as we don’t need any sharps or flats, we are gold

3 Likes