Reverb site for 2nd hand gear

Hey Toby @T_dub
@howard Howard might be able to help out with anything out of Japan, he is in Tokyo?
Cheers Brian

1 Like

I don’t know anything about MIJ MM’s either, but other MIJ guitars are really high quality. For most brands they are the most sought after, if they exist. Fender are the exception there (and I assume MM too).

3 Likes

Totally agree, except Fender, MM and Warwick, however, MIJ is a very close 2nd. But without any knowledge and the price is like 1/3 of what a MM off the wall would be, so there must be some differences.
If the only difference is assembled in Japan instead of California, yeah, it would be way worth it.
But
Just like somebody that won’t sell for anything but a MIA Fender, it is hard to invest that much in an instrument and not get what you really do want.

Of course, if it is equal in any small way, and performance and craftsmanship are identical, I don’t know that there would really be a difference here.

It doesn’t help that the place selling it is ECO TOWN. They are a glorified pawn shop, they are a FOR PROFIT Salvation Army.

All Sales final, most without any type of return policy, but for bigger items like this, you get a 10 day, but only if the product is defective, you can’t just say, ehh, it doesn’t live up to what I want, I want to give it back.

So, IDK, will sit on it, if they sell, they sell, if they are there in a month, and I learn more about MM MIJ, then its a possibility

2 Likes

I thought you got it from Guitar Center. Has it already been 180 days?

3 Likes

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-basses/896-stringray-ex.html#post4169

1 Like

Holy F@#K!
IDK what to make of that. I mean, I can go get one tomorrow for under 1K
What about the other models made for the Japanese market, cua there is the one that is not an EX. it is the same Natural ASH finish, which is awesome, but it is not EX. it is only $800.
It does not string thru the body.
Is there a reason to WANT string thru the body?

I mean, the things are GORGEOUS.
This is the standard one, not the EX
$800

That post was also from 2003.
How old are these.
Are they worth anything more in brand new / mint condition?

I don’t really know anything about them. If they are, as you said, just assembled in Japan then it should be good. And the made in Japan label would knock down the price. But would I do it? No. You can find used ebmm’s from Cali for not much more then that, $1100-1200 easy.

1 Like

Yeah, thats what I am thinking too. MISLO is what I want to see on the back of the headstock.
These actually do not say MIJ on them, they are just listed as IMPORTED FROM JAPAN.
But you found evidence to back it up, so its not a lie.
its just not MISLO

I love the Natural ASH, but for the same price, I could get a Sterling Ray34 Black Ash. I know its not EBMM, but I am happy with my SBMM’s and shaping out the pick up, makes them seriously BAD ASS basses, absolutely nothing wrong with them at all.

I keep going back to this.
The two I want, that would make ma happy enough to stop getting any other basses are
Sterling Ray34 black ash
EBMM Orange Stingray 4 - its not current generation, cuz that color is not available on the 2020 line up, but GC still stocks them, so they can’ be that old.

I really don’t see paying $2500 for a bass anyway, but instead of spending over $1000 for an EBMM that is, “not exactly what I want, but I will take it cuz it is EBMM”
I CAN get the Steelling I want now, and be very happy with it.
Flip the other basses that I have listed, and put that money in the pile.
and just keep flipping pedals and basses on the side, until one day I have $2500 saved up, and THEN I can get my EBMM, and truly be happy with the right bass for me.

Probably what I will end up doing.

1 Like

I bought it March 27 so it’s not quite 180 days. But their return policy is 45 days according to their website.

2 Likes

they ARE out there, if you’re really patient. here, this will blow your mind, $800.

2 Likes

Looks like the EX vary a lot in price based on age and condition here.

Most seem in the $800-$1000 range used.

https://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/guitarplanet/musicman-srex-pbl.html

https://item.rakuten.co.jp/shimamura-used/10117126/

So, no real savings even on the domestic market. (MIA rays cost more here).

2 Likes

OH $h!T, why did you show me that.
you know I love orange.
uggggggggg!!!

I tell you, if it were an H and had ALL BLACK hardware, I would purchase it RIGHT NOW

1 Like

Thanks for digging that info up for me @howard

2 Likes

Hahaaha

1 Like

BTW I have heard a lot of guys say on the MM forum that of all the configs that they like the HS best

2 Likes

So what you are saying is “get off the pot” ?

1 Like

Doesn’t matter anymore, it sold already.
I will need to jump on the next one if there is one.
LOL

2 Likes

yeah that was i think from a few years ago. just to show you though that one is out there waiting for ya

2 Likes