Reverb site for 2nd hand gear

2 Likes

Reverb has a shipping calculator, and on the side it has commonly shipped goods like Pedals, Snare Drum, Guitar, Amp, etc…
It considers a guitar box like 50" x 18" x 6" (roughly, I don’t recall exactly other then the 50") and it lists it at 32 to 36 lbs, and if you list your zip code, it gives estimates to shipping US - international, from USPS, UPS, FeD EX etc…
Plus, they sell the boxes and can arrange the whole ship. You can purchase shipping from them, based on their quote, and print the label, they will deliver the box (for a fee out of your sale) and after you pack it up, they will pick up the shipment (UPS or FED EX, or USPS will pick it up that is)
You will get paid AFTER it is delivered, so you will need to provide payment information for the postage, that will be charged to your card in the event you were running a scam and shipped an empty box.

I sold a Zoom B1-four. Hardly a Bass, and I had the box, but I purchased the shipping from them, and even though I don’t have a printer, I just printed it off at the UPS store, and dropped it off whit them. Once it arrived to the customer, my funds were released for me to collect, via bank transfer.

You also have the option to use PayPal, but they say the fees for PayPal are higher then the reverb ones, I did not check that closely.

The ONLY thing that I DID NOT LIKE ABOUT IT, was that I could not use my floating balance for purchases, you have to transfer it back to your bank, and make a separate transaction when purchasing something.
A mile inconvenience.

Also note, the seller fees have increased to 5% from 3.5%, so it will be $15 for a $300 sale. If that makes a difference to you, you will want to sell for $320 rather then $300 (made up price for example only). If there are lots of the same bass for sale, and they are less then $300 plus the $50 to ship within the states, Then you may not be able to raise the price $20, but if there are NONE of the same model / style, then you can make your price.

The cheapest UPS ground for shipping a guitar with the estimated dimensions / weight they gave was $45.
I do not know how much they charge for a box.
You might go down to your local music shop, and use your veteran status to get a fREE box out of the warehouse. Just a thought.

4 Likes

As an example I had a box for my bongo, so I didn’t have to buy one. I want to say shipping was $80.

3 Likes

I would say your ACTUAL experience would trump my estimated approximation for sure

3 Likes

Meh, I might be remembering wrong 🤷

3 Likes

Did you list it for $80 shipped, then actual was different? like $55 or $63 or something like that?
All I know is it would be best to say shipping cost more, and make $20 on it, then say it cost less and eat $40 on it.

2 Likes

nah, i think i lost about half of the shipping costs on that one. but i don’t know who would spend $100 on shipping, i don’t think it would ever sell. in general, for most small things, i offer free shipping. it’s hard to compete against businesses who have commercial accounts with the shippers and get better rates.

3 Likes

Definitely include the freight in your listing. Reverb does not charge a fee on your freight cost. ( I think) Check the other listings that you are going to be up against to determine what your asking price is going to be. Weigh out their offers looking at price and freight. I try to position myself on the lower point of the asking price and make a little up on freight.

Reverb will allow you to print UPS shipping labels at a reduced rate. They will also offer additional insurance at a decent rate. The UPS insurance only covers $100.

Take lots of pictures from many angles. Forget the elegant backgrounds Close ups of the guitar will sell it. clean the guitar so it looks spotkess. Keep your description short and to the point with the key elements of the guitar. If they are looking at the listing they are interested so close your listing with a statement that encourages them to buy it.

I have been buying and selling on Reverb for nearly two months now. I have been impressed by the integrity of the buyers and the sellers. GLWS. Good luck with your sale.

2 Likes

I forgot to mention. I shipped two basses to California for about $50 with additional insurance. One to Michigan for $43 with insurance.

UPS charges by shipping zones and Reverb has a tool that will let you calculate the shipping charges.

Plus if you print the Reverb UPS shipping label all you have to do is drop it off at a UPS store.

2 Likes

A shameless plug:
I am about to list a better than new Squier Classic Vibe 50"s P Bass. White Blond with Maple finger board with the following up grades. Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound pick ups, Fender 50’s era bridge and pick up covers, and D’Addairio elliptical end pins. It is strung with Ernie Ball Slinky Flatwounds 45/65/85/105. It really gets with the program with the Quarter Pound pickups and the Ernie Ball’s.

It is pictured below. If a BB Forum member in the US buys it, I will throw in a slightly used set of black tape wounds as a bonus. Feel free to post a link if you want to.

6 Likes

I only sold one time, but what I did was put my total buy price at $1 lower then the lowest price unit in the same condition. That is the price for the item plus shipping. I believe somebody had it for $75 plus $12 ship and I put it for $70 plus $14 ship. This way the shipping is covered by the buyer in total, and the selling fee is lower.

it helped that there were only 10 Zoom B1-four’s for sale at the time, and 8 of them were new. I was competing with 2 others in excellent shape, and mine was mint because I had the box and all the papers that came with it.
Sold within 12 hours I think

2 Likes

you can request a UPS pick up for free too, just in case you don’t want to lug it down to the UPS store and wait in line outside in the hot AZ sun with a mask on :wink:

2 Likes

Fortunately the UPS store by my house doesn’t require masks in the store, and I have never had to wait in line all the (multiple) times I’ve been there.

3 Likes

Also, I have 3 basses for sale on Offer Up right now. I have somebody coming tomorrow to buy my Schecter Elite-5 for $350. Another said they wanted to buy the Ibanez SR400 for $350 but did not get back yet. The third bass is my ESP LTD B-155 DX. If the other two sell, I think I will actually keep it.

I played the Schecter and LTD for about an hour each the other night, because I decided, for now, there is no need to keep two 5 strings that I don’t play very much.
Its a tough call, I love the Schecter, it is Neck Thru and Orange, two things I love.
The LTD just plays nicer. It is a super though call, because I really like them both, and I don’t really want to part with either, but I am being practical here. I don’t play them much since I am still playing 4 string for learning purpose (even tho I could do 5, that is my choice to learn on 4), and being 100% honest, The ESP feels better. I can always get another Schecter, for now I am letting it go.

My point was, however. If I don’t end up selling on Offer Up, I may consider listing them on Reverb, so I might be joining you in this venture.

3 Likes

Wow, all the UPS stores here require masks. They did before most other stores did. And there is always a line, they have 2 stations, and they only let the people in that they can serve, plus one person in the waiting room, every body else is outside - 6 feet apart.
And I go a lot with Amazon returns.

fortunately, I show my phone, drop and go, but I get stuck behind several people that seems like it is their first time ever at a UPS store, and they don’t know anything about shipping items. don’t have boxes, or tape, and half of the time, they don’t even know the address they are shipping to, they need to call for it.
I get frustrated with the UPS store.
I could take it to Kohl’s, but its further away, thru traffic.

3 Likes

You live in California :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Geez @T_dub,
Have you taken your temperature today, selling something “ORANGE”
Must be something going on ? :thinking:
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

I know, I know, this is the 2nd orange one actually. I took back my Ibanez SR300 to GC a while back. I returned it and put the refund towards the Sterling Stingray 4HH, which in fact, I am still deciding if I want to keep it, I am not loving the HH part about it.

But, I am not playing it, and I hate to let it sit. And after doing my little test the other night, if I were to pick up a 5 string to play, this would not be the first one I would grab, so it needs so go somewhere to get some love.

I will might take the money from this, and the Big Muff pedal I just sold ($400 combined) and take the Ray 4HH to GC and trade it in for this one.

There are 2 EBMM stingray’s, both Natural Ash, so like that but not black, with Black pick guards at an ECO TOWN near by right now.
the are both brand new, one is $800, and the EX model one is $950.

they are both AWESOME
BUT
Neither is MISLO (Made In San Luis Obispo), they are both MIJ
And that could be good, but I don’t know much about Japanese Music Man Basses
This could be another option, but I do like the black one.

And the Ibanez SR400 that I am selling is also Orange, so I am really sick now I guess, but I kind of told myself, when I was collecting all the different basses, that I was only gonna keep the ones I play, and I have not been playing it, only my Ray 4, Ray 34, Ray 4HH(some, trying to like it) and my ESP LTD B-4E
My ESP Slayer Bass, I noodle on once it a while, but that is more of a collector item for me, as well as the Dean MetalMan (Dimebag style bass), so I will keep them regardless.

2 Likes

Custom Orange Pickguard for that Black Ash Ray34 will work just fine.

3 Likes

Its gone.
So, the package I bought for $400
Schecter Elite-5
Hartke HA2400 Bass Amp Head
Hartke VX810 Bass Cabinet
Hard Shell Case
Leather Strap
Set of strings

I sold the Head for $100
The cabinet for $250
The bass w/set of strings for $350

I am left with
HardShell Case
Leather strap
Plus $300

It was profitable, and I know I like the bass if I ever want one again, and I got a hard case out of it. Good experience overall,

4 Likes