REVOFEV By Kid Cudi

I’ve decided to ask for some help. I’ve been trying to figure out this song and I’m having trouble. I haven’t been able to find any tab for it. I’ve based this off of what little information I have been able to find. Here’s what I think I know so far…

4/4 time, in B minor, at 68 bpm
The bass line is only three different notes and it repeats for the whole song, following the piano part.
BE ABE

G|————————————————|
D|————2—————2——————|
A|——2*—————2———————|
E|——————5——————————|
(*sometimes this note is doubled but I can figure that out later.)

Something’s not right with the notes I’m playing and what I’m hearing in the song. If somebody could give a listen and let me know what you’re hearing I would greatly appreciate it.

1 Like

Eric, what I hear is this:

So, maybe more like e minor than b minor!? Because of the G that I hear!?!

You could also play it an octave up starting on the D string on the 9th fret - 7th fret - A string 7th fret - 7th fret - 10th fret - D string 7th fret - and repeat.

Hope this helps a bit!?!

EDIT: the rhythm I sketched is just a rough approx. here… the E is probably a bit later, almost on beat 1 of the second bar…

2 Likes

Ugh. That’s way off from where I thought I was. I’ve spent about six hours on this and I don’t think I’m hearing anything correctly anymore. I think I need some sleep and come back at this with fresh ears. Thanks @joergkutter.

2 Likes

That’s probably a wise move - it must be the crack of dawn in your necks of the woods :rofl:

1 Like

If it makes you feel better, it is way tough for me to pick songs up by ear, and be in the right key. I always also get the feeling something is off, and then scour the net for tabs, that may also be inaccurate! (Now I see why so many of them are also wrong)

Eventually, I’ll hit the ear training exercises some more. It may just be time and practice to be able to transcribe accurately.

2 Likes

That is actually a good start! And @eric.kiser could also hear that something was off… so, I think you guys are on the right track. By the way, maybe I am not spot on either - but it is what I hear!

Despite having been a drummer, I find transcribing rhythms often more tricky than transcribing melodies!

2 Likes

You’re pretty good at it though! I mean, I’ve seen you do both, and yeah, they’re both tricky, especially if they’re complicated! And bassists are underappreciated, because we have to be able to do both.

2 Likes

I have not much time right now but I give it a quick listening, and what I hear sounds like :

G ---------------
D -------2-------
A ---2-0-----0---
E ---------3-----
2 Likes

Ok, I just gave it a shot, playing it on my bass now. This is what I hear:

A ----------------2-----------------
E -----3----5---------5----3------

Interesting that we all hear such different things!

3 Likes

Wow… yeah, that is interesting… and a bit crazy, too! Maybe a bit like this internet meme with the “dress” that came out black and blue for some, and white and golden for some others!?!

3 Likes

that’s crazy !

1 Like

I was curious and played what @Vik posted, I hear one note different like this:

A ----------------2-----------------
E -----3----5---------5----0------

2 Likes

OK, this is getting a bit weird :grimacing: :joy:

I found this online and they seem to agree with what I hear, just an octave up (like I also wrote), albeit using a different fingering:

But, anyway, it is: B - A - E - G - A (and they didn’t think there was a little grace note-ish E just before the G).

Now, I know you can’t trust everything you find on the internet, but, hey, since they agree with me, it must be right :rofl:

Anyway, hope this settles it!?

3 Likes

what I see is that everybody plays what he wants, things are getting too jazzy for me :rofl:

5 Likes

Well, you got the correct notes - so, I guess this means indeed you are definitely NOT ready for jazz yet :joy:

4 Likes

thank you @joergkutter , I was afraid to be infected :sweat_smile: :joy:

3 Likes

Close call, eh?! :grin:

3 Likes

:grimacing:

3 Likes

Man this turned into a much more interesting experiment than I expected. Thanks everybody for offering up your suggestions. All of this for a hip hop song was also pretty unexpected.

I have to give special kudos to @joergkutter. Not only did he seem to nail it first thing but also out googled me and found a bass tab. Thanks Joerg. Having two sources in agreement gives me a good place to work backward from to see where I was getting it wrong and maybe have a better idea of what to look out for on my next attempt at transcribing a song.

Does anybody else have that keyboard riff stuck in there head now?

4 Likes

now that you have a song and a tab, we all expect a proper cover :grin:

2 Likes