SAG - Selling Aquired Gear

I’m going in blind. Not counting all the videos I’ve watched. :slightly_smiling_face:
I have a Harley Benton fretless now so I’m familiar with playing them. I like the Harley Benton but it weighs 12 pounds, which is too heavy for me to play standing up for any length of time.

3 Likes

@EvanJG Added you shop to the top post. :+1:

@joeike You have gone through a lot of basses. Do you sell any or do they all join the family collection?

1 Like

I’ve sold several on Reverb but I haven’t sold one in quite a while. I do have a couple that I should probably sell since I rarely play them anymore. Things have been kind of hectic for me over the last couple of months so I haven’t gotten around to listing them. I’ll put my shop up on here when I do. I’d sell my Harley Benton but I’d have to ask more for shipping than I would ask for the bass itself. That just doesn’t seem right to me.

3 Likes

The one and only fretless I ever owned (except for my electric upright) was an Ibanez 5 string and I loved it. You can’t go wrong with that one.

2 Likes

Yeah, I had an Ibanez 5 string for a while and eventually sold it because the string spacing was narrower than I like. Other than that it was a great bass.

1 Like

Which ones have you held onto?

1 Like

I have an Epiphone EB-0 modded with a Jazz pickup at the bridge, a Fender Mustang PJ modded with Dimarzio pickups, a Fender Deluxe PJ, a Yamaha TRBX605, a Sire V7, an Epiphone Embassy, an Epiphone Allen Woody Rumblecat, and a Harley Benton JB-40FL. I need to list the Embassy and the Rumblecat because I never play them.

2 Likes

I should have just asked if you kept the EB-0 you had modded. That was the one I was most curious about. It really turned out cool. :sunglasses: :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a lot of fun to play. I have D’addario Chrome flatwounds on it that are over a year old now and you can get a really good thump out of that bass.

2 Likes

@John_E The shop has the 735 only in dark coffee burst, they are back ordered on black also. $844 all in at your door insured (for the coffee burst) Contact is Jeff (or Chad) at The Bass Shop (thebassshopseattle.com)

2 Likes

Thanks for Checking @Ben I will await the black.
Seems coffee bursts are quite available everywhere.

3 Likes

This is not a listing from my shop, but rather a warning for those who sell on Reverb. Please read on:

I had listed a bass for sale (no need to provide details), and it sold on August 2, 2021. I immediatly packaged it up, and purchased a shipping label on that same day. Unfortunately, the buyer seems to be in some desolate part of Montana where UPS doesn’t go, so my only option was to ship with USPS (which I hate). The shipping label even with Reverb discount was a whopping $82! I had only listed $40 dollars for shipping, so I took a beating on that one. Fortunately, I had also checked off the additional fee for “Safe Shipping”, and I’m glad I did.
I dropped it off at the post office on August 3rd and started tracking it. The USPS site said it would be delivered on August 7th. August 7th came and went without it having been delivered, and the status changed to “In Transit, Arriving Late”. The last scan was in Los Angeles, California on August 5th. Why it went from Phoenix, Arizona to Los Angeles on it’s way to Montana is beyond me.
Today is August 11th, eight (8) days after I dropped it off at the post office, and it still says In Transit, Arriving Late . The buyer is now messaging me, and expressing his (understandable) displeasure. I have been in touch with Reverb, and they are telling me I have to wait until 14 days after the last scan (in this case August 5th) before we can file a claim with USPS. I don’t blame the buyer for being unhappy about this, I know I would be, but it’s out of my hands. I did what is required and shipped it as soon as I got the order.
The lesson here for everyone who sells on Reverb is twofold:

1. Don’t ever ship with USPS if you can avoid it ( I had no choice in this case)
  2. Always pay the small fee for Safe Shipping so Reverb will stand in your corner with you instead of you having to fight with the carrier on your own.
3 Likes

I stopped shipping USPS when they damaged a $2500 trumpet a few years ago. Will only use for small Priority mail stuff.

FedEx ground is the best of the bunch when it comes to options.

3 Likes

Sorry that’s happening. Good advice - thanks for sharing. The buyer shouldn’t be unhappy with you though, if they can see the tracking info. You can’t control USPS… Hope all works out well eventually.

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree @John_E but in this case, USPS was the only option, and the shipping rate was dreadful.

1 Like

My issue was to Hawaii. Should have sprung for more costly service.

1 Like

Can’t win so easy. $650 mixer scanned in to the roach motel at FedEx and never scanned out. Can’t see how it’s other than internal theft.

Waiting period. Claim file. Waiting period. Oh, you didn’t sign the form we didn’t send you. Waiting period reset. Transferred 5 times into phone dead ends after waiting period exhausted with no check. Two trips to physical location where manager finally called his own company and found out my check had the street mis-spelled by one letter and came back. They sent it USPS without tracking. Subcontractor handles claim payouts. Wait. Wait. No check. Trip. Manager. Call. Oh, issued today and re-sent. How about that. 3 months. 8 phone calls. 3 trips. 2 brick and mortar manager interventions.

2 Likes

That sucks. It makes it feel like there’s a plan in place where they hope you’ll give up and take the loss.

2 Likes

I suspect that happens. I almost forgot a couple times and found my notes about it.

My impression is covid has been a reason or excuse for companies to pay less attention.

3 Likes

Dropped the price on this to $590 in other places, will sell here for $500 to any BB’ers.

5 Likes