Sandberg Basses

Where did you order it @sfadams, @RolandDehli? Sometimes you get it faster from ‘big-T’ than from Sandberg, cuz they always have a lot of basses on pre-order.

3 Likes

I ordered mine from my local dealer: https://www.groovinhouse.com.hk/sandberg.

I guess the only big difference between @RolandDehli’s and mine is that his went through the aging process - but I can’t believe that would have added a whole extra year to the delivery period!

Here is mine (again - also posted above). A California TT Superlight, in natural finish:

6 Likes

Mine is a Masterpiece that i did order at Sandberg and got it through Thomann, i dont know the exact reason for the long delevery, but normally i know that a masterpeice is around 6-8 month in delevery so i guess its due to the coivid that it took so long, but its only a guess ? The it was sure worth the wait, im so happy with this bass, and the sound ad feel of it is just how i wanted it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Mabye yours is a stock bass and they can deliver faster ? It looks cool, i just love the sandberg basses and you sure get a lot for your money !

4 Likes

Perfect advice.

2 Likes

I know :grin:

So an update on the LadyHawk. I’ve had her for 3 months now and have played her, on average for two-three hours a day, so racked up abut 200 hours. I love this bass so much that I have not really picked up any of my other basses. The other day I forced myself to do a play through with my other basses to see how I felt about them now, compared to before I got the Sandberg. Interesting experiment. Prior to the Sandberg, my favourite bass was my Ibanez SR600e. I liked my Yamaha TRBX504 and my Squier PJ (mod with Geezer pickups). I was in two minds about my Sire V9 and just couldn’t gel with my Ray 4 (mod with Aguilar pickup). Very interesting results as (3 months and 200 hours later) I have done a complete turn around. After the Sandberg, I’m really liking my Ray 4 and Squier (still). I’m not really feeling the Ibanez or Yamaha anymore and really don’t like the Sire at all. All this judged from a sound and comfort perspective. Will be selling a few of these off, for sure.

8 Likes

Sounds like you’ve found your #1 bass! Good to hear it’s working out for you.

5 Likes

Very interesting report about your Sandberg ‘Lady Hawk’ and how it changed your bass-life @Bassdacious

Makes me remember our first communication on this forum when I was deeply frustrated with my Sire V9 bass. So happy it’s gone. Sold it with a big loss just to get rid of it.

Like you, I don’t feel any need to buy basses, except for another Sandberg in a year or two.

4 Likes

Umm yes, and Porcine Airways flight 067 is taxiing for takeoff :sweat_smile:

That’s great! I wish I was more like this, cheaper!
Funny how the Squier is still in the mix, as is my Squier Jazz that I modded, just something about it.

I think our musical tastes can change over time and what our ears hear as pleasing.
I go through this with my basses, picking up one and saying ‘yuck’ only to find a few weeks later I am in love with it.

My only advice is sell slowly and assuredly, much easier to let a bass sit a while than rue over it being gone. That said, usually when you know you know.

3 Likes

Yeah. I’ve never regretted a single sale.

3 Likes

So, for me, I have let go two. The first was my Ibanez GSR-200. I’m happy that I started my B2B journey on it, but no regrets about selling it. However, now that I am greatly enjoying my Stingumathing (StingRay clone), and I have grown to enjoy a skinny jazz neck through my Peavey, I regret (a bit) letting the Ray4 in satin blue go. That said, I have two Peavey basses now and have just started snooping around a third. So that pang of regret is less of a pang, and more of a ping. And as pings go, it’s barely a twitch.

7 Likes

Yes, like you I have a P/M configuration, so I may may travel down the J route at some point, although I’m in no hurry … and at this stage it would be a Sandberg.

2 Likes

An odyssey is over! Tested a lot of strings for my Sandberg VM4 during the last weeks.
Quite some time it seemed, the original Sandberg stainless steel roundwounds fit the bass best but they play and sound a bit harsch. The G-string lacks some volume.
Many say in other forums the Sandberg strings are c***, but I wouldn’t rate them that bad. They tend to sound a bit like a car horn in the mids though.
3 of 5 stars.

Optima Gold:
sluggish, rattling, lousy punch without well defined lows. Playability is a nightmare. A and D-string sound far too bright throughout all registers. Worst strings ever. 0 of five stars.

D’Addario EXL 220TP - Super light gauge
Specs do not match what you want for a rock bass, but these strings ain’t bad at all. Well balanced sound, very good playability. Feel soft and yes, sound is too soft for Rock. Bit too sluggish when played with a pick. G-string lacks volume.
Result: Better than expected, may be a good choice for Blues, Jazz and Pop. 3 of 5 stars.

D’Addario EXL170M - Nickel round wound - medium gauge
Playability OK, sound overall meh on the VM4 since they are lacking the punch. Strings might fit well on a jazz bass when you play different styles. 3 of five stars.

Ernie Ball 2834 super slinky
Have seen lots of positive comments about the strings, but they sound kinda tinny. Medium playability. Nice mids and highs but the E string sounds too dull to me. Also lack some punch. 3 of 5 stars.

D’Addario NYXL 45100
These became my favorites. Great sound, well balanced set. Good for Rock, Blues and surprisingly for Jazz too. They sound warm and mellow, nice punch, but they can growl if needed. Best playability of all sets.
At least 4.5 of 5 stars.

Also tested two sets of Flatwounds, but since I’m not a big fan of flats, it wouldn’t be fair to rate them.

4 Likes

https://youtu.be/WQwHJm-xVxg
So here it is and how it sounds, its really a very nice bass and i love the sound, this is all settings neutral and with the sandberg factory strings still on :heart_eyes:

10 Likes

Nice job - beautiful tone. Looks the business too. Do you find you need the fret wrap on?

2 Likes

Thanks :pray: No i dont need the fret wrap for this, its just sitting there so i know where it is :grin: i use it sometimes for slap or to tie op my beard :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Awesome sound!!! :+1:
Do you record from a DI-Box or with a Mic? Great playing too, there is some nasty syncopation on this song…

2 Likes

Thanks Thomas
I use a iRig over Amplitube on my iphone and then right in to the cam.
I use a SVX-PRO in Amplitube but straight through. So its the clean bass sound.

2 Likes