Sell Gear?

If you want something both eye-opening and sad, look at the dynamics on that example ZZ Top release across the three masters.

Ouch. Mastering by just slamming sh*t up into the limiter until dollar signs come out.

THE SAUSAGE

2 Likes

Why are you selling your U-Bass? I thought you liked it.
Kala California U-bass Koa 4 string fretless | Itsratso’s Gear Shop | Reverb

which is completely surprising on a few levels. one, because the first couple of zz top’s albums are highly prized by “audiophiles” for their great sound (which is correct). and billy gibbons is such a purveyor of great guitar tones.

1 Like

i do love it. the whole story:

2 Likes

I know, right? It’s just sad. I can understand maximizing it a little, but even that first remaster is run so far up into the limiter that the drums are going to sound squished and you’ll have compressed the transients on the lead, and that’s at minimum. And the second one - I love how they even completely eliminated the bridge transitions and made them as loud as the rest of the song.

And the weird thing is, to almost all their audience, it will sound “better”. Which is why they do it.

1 Like

Me: Look at what I just ordered (pointing to Reverb page with the PreSonus Eris E3.5 monitors).
Sara: Why do you need those?
Me: They say this type of speaker defines the music much better, so deaf people with Cochlear Implants like you can decipher the tones. I think this will help you a lot.
Sara: Cool

4 Likes

well it’s kinda the truth

3 Likes

@PamPurrs those Eris 3.5s you just ordered have bass and treble boost/cut controls also, so if you plug them in, want to listen to some music and things are sounding TOO flat you can use those controls to tweak it a little. It allows for a nice compromise between completely neutral studio monitors and speakers made for music-listening.

2 Likes

That’s good to know. Thank you @bjams

1 Like

My brother has bad hearing and he says using flat in ear monitors has allowed him to hear aspects of music he never knew were there.

It’ll be interesting to find out if it makes any significant difference for Sara.

1 Like