Shapeways Thumb Rest

I’ve found that I’m really not happy resting my thumb on the pickup when I’m playing but I didn’t want to start drilling holes in my new bass to put a cheap thumb rest on it.
I really liked the look of the zeromod one for the Stingray but the Fender model looked nothing like it so I set off on an internet hunt.
After a few nights of searching I dropped on a company called Shapeways who manufacture parts using 3D printers. They could supply something close to what I wanted so I put in an order and waited.
After a wait of 7 weeks with regular updates I received my long awaited delivery and I must say I’m pleased with it .
The only thing I have found is the screw recess nearest the neck needs a screw with a slightly bigger head than standard to fasten it properly but for $15 usd I really can’t complain.

10 Likes

Nice I like it !

5 Likes

What is this?

Did this only screw into the pick-guard and not get into the bass, or could you not find anything that had ZERO screws?

It is cool looking tho

4 Likes

This is the zero mod thumb rest for the Stingray. Uses 2 of the pick guard screws so no new holes in your prized possession.
The one I got was Shapeways version for the P bass and again uses the pick guard screws

4 Likes

Yes, now I get it, the two screws that came with yours was just so they are long enough, I didn’t make that connection.
Thinking of lots of things right now, about the DAI / Pre-amp issues and this and its 4am, and I gotta move this weekend, etc… DUH

4 Likes

Moving house sucks @T_dub

3 Likes

That looks cool. IDK if I need a thumb-rest.
IDK if I want one, but I wonder if my playing would be more consistent wih one. LMK how you like it and if you think it helps even out your right hand technique when on E string and when floating up and down.

4 Likes

Will do :+1:
I’ve been playing about with Wasted Years by Iron Maiden today on the Ibanez and on the Fender and I’ve found my thumb automatically rests on the thumb rest when playing the E and A string which helps with this tune.
Very early days but so far so good.

5 Likes

A good idea, and the best thing is no harm or marring the bass if you don’t like it.

3 Likes

Found a similar thumb rest from a company zero mod music products and order today. They have some new versions on their site that weren’t on bestbassgear and a couple other sites that sell them

Tim that has the company is a bass player and just made this one for his P bass. He’s making me one in black for mine.

4 Likes

That looks 100% better than the one I got @Sully3169
Couldn’t find one on their website when I looked but I guess I should have messaged them

3 Likes

They look cool, and great for people that really want that thumb rest.
The problem for me is when I have my hand down by my pick up, I want to use the pick up as my thumb rest.
These look like they sort of block it up there.
Would be cool if it were flat where it spans around the top of the pick up so that it did not block the actual pick up.

4 Likes

I actually didn’t see this version till I went on their Facebook and said ,"Holy $h!t, thats just want I wanted! I had already message them from the site about the original version so had to hurry up and message again and see if I get one of these in black. Tim emailed within an hour and said no problem and sent me the PayPal invoice. Now the wait begins …

4 Likes

That would be the ultimate. The draw for me is that lately I’ve found myself playing in front and behind the pick up to get some different tone based on the song. So we will see, at least If want to take it off no holes!

4 Likes

Yeah, there is not downside to trying it out, I bet you could even mod it that way if you wanted to.

4 Likes

So look what came in the mail today …

2 Likes

And here it is on literally took 2 minutes to do and I love the feel of playing from both pockets and its not bad from the middle over the pickup either @T_dub

5 Likes

Certainly does look good @Sully3169 :+1:
Be interested to know if you find it can get in the way when you’re using a pick as I’ve discovered

3 Likes

We will see @Mac. Haven’t tried with pick yep but I do tend to find myself playing closer to the bridge J pickup when using a pick

3 Likes

I’ve been having problems finding a good purchase point to place my thumb. So I guess a thumb rest is in order. Its been a while since you all have installed these. I am honestly terrified to drill new holes in the bass, these seem like the better option.

How do you like them?

4 Likes