"Share some good music" Friday

Fishbone played in Fat Mike’s backyard party last September.
It was Fish’s birthday that day too.

https://youtu.be/tKEVfzb-kOY

1 Like

I stumbled across @terb’s cover of this song last night. Not sure how I missed it, could have been away on one of my “vacations” when he put it out.
Overnight, I fell in love with this band from the land down under,
“Amyl and the Sniffers”. Thanks Terb.

They kind of remind me of a local Huntington Beach band from the late 90’s - early 2000’s called “F-Minus” who is fronted by a 2 Female’s and one male, with one of the women playing bass. they all sing in different songs, sometimes back and forth to each other.
My friend Todd Keisling, the bassist who co-formed and played with “Dystopia”, a Huntington Beach band from the early 90’s who had been described as “an experimental Sludge metal / crust punk band”, taught Jen from F-Minus to play bass.

First:
Amyl and the Sniffers (Terb Covered) singing GFY

https://youtu.be/bA3maAkXB0Y

Second:
F-Minus (the guitarist is pictured, but the bass player is really singing) singing an “Agnostic Front” cover

and Lastly, just because I mentioned him / them.
Dystopia - backstabber

1 Like

Oh man, covering Agnostic Front, a band I haven’t thought of in a really long time.

4 Likes

I shared this on Discord, but I thought it worthy of preserving here.
Alrighty Aphrodite has a very different bassline, and I’m excited about getting to the point where I can play it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICNtZKmQGMw

As a side story:
Peach Pit was a band my friend recommended. He said he was learning ‘Shampoo Bottles’ on guitar, and I thought ‘COOL! Let me learn it on bass and then we can play together.’ LOL. Despite multiple honest attempts, I still suck at it. It was the first full song I tried to learn and I had no idea on the theory, and was struggling to count, and keep track of where we were in the song. It is quite a lot of chugging, and definitely too much for beginner me.
I’m looking forward to re-attempting it at the end of this course.

2 Likes

Here’s a little something to ‘pick over’ (haha) . . . :wink:

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Nice! He’s got that tone dialed in pretty well (even without a Rick)!

And it looks like he is having a lot of fun, too (which is always good :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:)

3 Likes

Chris Squire knew how to get the best out of his Ricky @alex.s,
One of my favourite bassist’s
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

One of my Squire favourites Joe, @Jazzbass19,
This guy gets a great sound out of the the J-Bass.
Into the Lens is another great Yes track from the same line up.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Man I really need to practice more.

3 Likes

…as we all sit and type in the forum

4 Likes

exactly :slight_smile:

4 Likes

…and shop for gear

5 Likes

My bass is always around my neck when I am sitting and typing at the forum. I play little exercises or licks between posts.

4 Likes

That’s a really good idea.

2 Likes

Agreed, but if we talk about playing driving lines with a pick, “Does It Really Happen” from the same album should get a mention as well :grin: Maybe not their greatest song, but that solo on the outro is just sooooo Squire-perfect!

2 Likes

Of course! I don’t need more practice, I just need better gear :crazy_face:

3 Likes
1 Like

Same here. I had just finished 3 talking bass lessons and my hands were starting to kill me after a day of sax and bass practice.

Such a great record!

Love that we’re all on the pg.lost train here.

3 Likes
2 Likes