"Share some good music" Friday

I really like the bit that starts at 34:02 (and picks up at 34:32). It reminds me of something but I can’t put my finger on it.

Here is one of Yes’ masterpieces, Heart of the Sunrise. However, as a bass cover, and instead of played with a pick on a Rickenbacker (like Chris Squire did), this guy is attempting to play it using finger style.
In any case, as it’s not from a concert, it is very instructional as we can clearly see what he is doing (and also might answer some concerns re: playing with a pick (or not)). It also shows how varied Chris’ bass lines were.
I, for one, find this something to aspire to, so if @terb doesn’t mind sticking around for another couple of years, I might post my own cover of this eventually :grin:

Happy Friday!
4 Likes

we’re all waiting :grin:

by the way, what I great song ! I don’t know Yes very well, I must investigate more !

1 Like

Yeah, but as they say, “don’t hold your breath”, @terb :wink:

1 Like

I got back from holidays, Stuart came by and left me with the gizmo and hiss tape wound bass. Couldn’t put either down and wrote a track straightaway. Just simple roots and a couple of intervals here and there, but the sound and feel of the taped strings on Homer (his home build bass - great neck!) made me commit to track like never before! So, here is my new theme in homage to Joe Hisashi and his work for Kitano Films.

Any ideas, please share!

6 Likes

it sounds really great ! love it ! :+1: the bass tone is very interesting and matches pretty well with the composition

1 Like

That sounds amazing! Love the tone.

1 Like

Nice - almost a bit like a synth-bass (and I don’t mean that in any negative way)!

2 Likes

2019-09-20_16-57-35
Click on the image…

Not a video or anything, but we didn’t have anything like that back in the 50’s and 60’s… I remember watching him play once back in the early 60’s. What a show! He played in Benny Goodman’s Orchestra before starting his own band when Goodman kind of made him leave for “Show Boating”… I can only imagine and dream of trying to play bass riffs to his drum style.

3 Likes

To a degree it’s round complete tone is synthetic. Fundamental, even. It’s a mix of tape stringed tone and a synthetic note produced by Stuarts box of tricks which I cannot explain in detail, but the root of is in his web page “pedal in a bass.” One of the reasons I did that particular line was to try it out. Had to be simple but accurate. So, Joe. You’re absolutely right. And that definitely ain’t negative!

1 Like

Nice, that skit at the beginning was terrible/awesome, and the music was even better! Sick rhythms, and nice vocals, makes me think of Incubus (in a good way (is there a bad way to think of Incubus?)).

1 Like

GREAT bass playing on all those albums. Great share.

It’s Troy! I love his stuff! Everybody needs more Troy.

1 Like

@muff, on the slight risk of going a bit off-topic here: what tools do you use to compose/record? Did you play all the other instruments as well?

Also, who is Stuart? :grin:What is his handle in the forum? (Only been on the forum for about 10 months, so claiming some ignorance… :smile:)

And: yeah, it looks like I could be a “joe”, but, alas, I am not :wink:

2 Likes

Hi not Joe! :grinning: I use a Mac with Logic. A Roland interface. Lots of amps and cabs, guitars, basses, keyboards and drums. Yes I played the other instruments as well. Some programming-the drums and tablas, and terrible minimalist keyboards.
Stuart is @bottomfeeder and there is a page on the forum.
https://forum.bassbuzz.com/t/pedal-in-a-bass/
also -
http://pedalinabass.org/

3 Likes

Re, Mastodon. Man I love their last ep. Cold Dark Place. They are definitely getting better with each record.

1 Like

Good point, @joergkutter . . . :+1:

Chris Squire is among my favorite bassists, and I’ve always admired his work. I think it’ll be awhile until I can play this piece, though. :wink:

All best, Joe

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s Saturday morning, but I just got home from last night, so technically, it’s still Friday…

Here’s an awesome cover of one of my favorite Aerosmith songs. Check out that double neck bass.

3 Likes

You’re what we would call a “dirty stopout”, but only in a playful way I should add. :wink: Besides, as far as I’m concerned for the purposes of this forum, Friday extends right through the weekend. What’s the point of being badass bassists if we can’t party all weekend - of listen to each others music at a sensible volume, at least.

As a mark of how far my playing has come, I was listening to this in the car this morning and was working out the bass line in my head. Not the names of the notes - I’m not that good - but the relative positions and tempo.

3 Likes

One of the first to use a double-necked bass was Jonas Hellborg in the 80s - one fretted, one fretless. Makes for an awkward plucking hand position tough…

3 Likes