"Share some good music" Friday

One of my favorite indie rock songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZxxhxjgnC0

Found this by chance today.
An interesting bass + shamisen groove

3 Likes

At some point I am going to need to get a SBV-550.

https://youtu.be/j7w2_YEq00Q?t=4494

Excellent bass at that timecode.

This whole concert is awesome. The Kopyright Kops keep taking down vids from it, unfortunately. The whole band is in top form, itā€™s their farewell show, and Miki Furukawa just kills it on bass. And vocals for her songs too.

Other timecode highlights:

Lucky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7w2_YEq00Q&t=3384s

My Way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7w2_YEq00Q&t=331s

@celticstar - this is a prime example of ā€œindieā€. In fact they were one of the prototypical Japanese Indie bands.

4 Likes

Kao=S, an indy band out of Tokyo covers Zeppelin

1 Like

One of the great Indie band stories. When the Runaways split, Joan jett tried to get a record contract, and everyone turned her down as she would not wear short skirts and act like a pop artist. So she did something no woman had done before - she started her own record company, Blackheart Records, and made the albums she wanted. And when she went to 1 with I Love Rock And Roll, they all loved her naturally.

This song Bad Reputation is about getting turned down by the record companies. Here she is singing it at her HOF induction. She is badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-EZujn_aU0

5 Likes

Hm, yes, they make it their own, which I can appreciate in a cover, but it is such weak sauce compared to the version on ā€œThe Song Remains The Sameā€, which, in essence, is perfect :star_struck:

3 Likes

Their documentary is AWESOME.
Same with Go-Goā€™s doc. Both worth a watch.

4 Likes

I knew the Go-Gos were legit when Jane Weidlin did that thing with Sparks.

3 Likes

Itā€™s interesting how they went from punk to pop basically by mistake, which got them all their fame but ruined who they started out as

3 Likes

I knew they were legit when I saw them live and Jane had tattoo on her ankle. Women didnā€™t do that back then. Shows what a caveman I was for even thinking that.

When I worked at a college radio station we spun the Go Goā€™s on our alt rock show. They cut EPs in England before they could get a US deal so we played imports if them. Lot of groups did that, Stray Cats come to mind.

The Go Goā€™s sound pop now, they didnā€™t then. Mainstream has shifted.

Alternative music also wasnā€™t as defined in the pre REM days

2 Likes

Alternative, as it was, died when it was ā€˜definedā€™.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know when ā€œthenā€ was, but ā€œVacationā€, ā€œOur Lips are Sealedā€ etc was definitely pop, even at the timeā€¦ Thatā€™s the only Go-Gos Iā€™m familiar with, reallyā€¦ I know nothing of their punk rootsā€¦

1 Like

Yeah, agree, I considered those pop back then. Good pop, but still pop.

ā€œCool Placesā€ - the Jane Wiedlin/Sparks thing I mentioned above - that was also pop, but it was Sparks, so it was pop in kind of the same way a John Waters film is a movie, if that makes sense.

The Mael brothers have always cracked me up.

4 Likes

It was poppy punk, but the other female acts, or female leads of that same time, with mostly punk roots, were:
Blondie - Punk roots
Wendy Oā€™Williams - Plasmatics - Punk Roots
Bow Wow Wow - Malcolm Mclaren, so punk root in a way
The Go Goā€™s - Same era, coming from punk.

EDIT: Souxie and the Banshees
X (Thanks @howard )

It kind of was New Wave, which was pop from punk.

Missing Persons
Romeo Void

I am trying to think of more female
But airplay was only on K-roq
Which was more punk / new wave, which was alternative of the time.

The Bengals were pop for sure, because of the success of those aforementioned acts.

Also on regular rotation on Kroq at the time
The Clash
The Ramones
Suicidal Tendencies
The Vandals
Black Flag
The Defendants
Gen X

Plus all the new wave coming out, which was not main stream enough for other stations, until it was.

2 Likes

Yeah, good point. Although there was a pretty serious style difference between, say, Romeo Void and the Go Goā€™s. But yeah, agree that New Wave is a much better term than pop for a lot of them. And then thereā€™s stuff like X.

Actual pop was truly bad back then, and the Go-Goā€™s were definitely not bad.

K-ROQ was pretty forward with playing New Wave. I didnā€™t live in the LA area then but Richard Bladeā€™s show was carried all over the place.

3 Likes

Malcolm Mclaren, but the band from Adam Ant.

Another group was Berlin. I bought Teri Nunn a beer once.

3 Likes

Berlin started out new wave big time, and then went pop big time :slight_smile:

I have a cover of The Metro partially done. Trying to convince my wife to sing it. Probably my biggest bass workout so far too, I played the synth bass on my bass.

Not all in one take :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When I met Terri, it was late 70s in CBGBS. We had a table with an empty chair and she sat down. And I bought a round.

CBGBs was a weird place back then, before people became stars they just hung in the crowd, and it had the most disgusting restrooms I had ever seen. Much preferred the Paladium

5 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Bought it, stole it, yes, one or the other.
He probably LURED them away more than anything.
Itā€™s OK tho, Adam Ant made a name for himself (after changing his name to Adam Ant), that probably wouldnā€™t have happened if he didnā€™t go solo.

2 Likes