"Share some good music" Friday

My pleasure :slight_smile:

And yeah, Siouxsie - one of my favorite bands, straight out of punk and in to post-punk. Everyone labeled them goths but like their buds The Cure they were really more just solid post-punk. They ended up with some charting songs later in their career but never lost their roots.

4 Likes

[Gary Numan - Films] I know it’s not Friday and regrettably I am away, but with my Fender bass, so no worries. Here’s a really fun tune to learn by ear on bass. It’s got a few trills and a hulluva lot of muting.

3 Likes

Anybody thats on a talk show with the Sex Pistols to support the punk movement is punk at the core in my book. :wink:

3 Likes

I really can’t stand Malcolm Mclaren. Really needed a slap in the face with a wet fish :tropical_fish:
Funnily enough it was a couple of punk mates that introduced me to Motörhead.
There were some great punk bands in the UK and some not so great.
The Exploited and Sham 69 were always favourites of mine

2 Likes

If you like them, you would most likely like Discharge.

Yes, he did, but he did create something EPIC!

1 Like

And then he did this :joy:

https://youtu.be/HCBN7lyLT4w

1 Like

IIRC, that was the first ever music video with record scratching in it.
At least the first played on MTV

Yep, one of those bands most other bands looked up to. They influenced most punk or post-punk back then.

1 Like

@Mac

This is a good video, and I love this guys channel.

3 Likes

@T_dub yes it’s subjective. I said rarely :slight_smile:

My perspective is the original artist created it which many times I can’t wrap my head around to begin with. How does one conceive “Fairy Feller’s Master Stroke” that’s what impresses me is creating it in the first place and that has to be more weighted (personally) when I look at a song then someone who comes along and says ok what are the chords to this song? What is the beat? What is the arrangement? Ok let me tweak it and …… not to take away all the awesome covers out there but in my mind will always be a pastiche. My personal viewpoint of course.

I listen to covers and love them and many times the covers get more recognition then the original. “Nothing compares to you” is a good example. Metallica won a Grammy for the cover “Stone Cold Crazy” I could go on … Do I enjoy them yes! Do I think they are “better” than the original? Well music is a very personal thing….

2 Likes

The cover concept got me thinking….
In jazz, people ‘cover’ a song so many times its called a ‘standard’.
Then people talk about who’s version of the ‘standard’ is their favorite.
The makes up a huge portion of the genre, where in popular music (rock/country/pop/etc) ‘covers’ make up a much smaller percentage.

Maybe its because jazz was/is historically a more live experience than radio airtime music.

I just think its interesting that all you have to do is cross a musical genre and different ‘rules’ apply.

2 Likes

Ok, so what about those that are the original artist, but they have people compose and write songs for them?
then somebody covers it and does better, is it still the original that was better?
I get it is subjective, but caveman grilled meat, and a chef makes a meal look, smell and taste delicious.

And, people that only play covers, like a cover band, rarely can top the artist, but when another artist covers something, they can often hit it out of the park.
Of course, it is OK for us to disagree.
I was just making a case for my point of view.

2 Likes

Very good point. Maybe it’s time to change the rules a little?

1 Like

It’s interesting. I think this has to be taken on a case by case basis. For all of the covers I linked above, many of the originals are great songs but I think the covers outshine them. Often especially when they are very different (e.g. Eight Miles High, which IMO might be the best cover of all time).

Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go is another good example. Both of those original songs are great, but the Soft Cell covers are just kind of iconic at this point. Really well done and the versions I would always go to.

3 Likes

That they are.

Another side of the coin, people that create something completely different out of a cover.
Weird Al :wink:
In some cases, yes, he was even better, although, he mostly covered excellent, or at least very popular songs.

Or Sublime, they sometimes changed them enough to make them their OWN, and smashed many.
“Scarlet Begonias”, love that song, not so much the original (but that is very subjective, i am not really a dead fan)
“Hope” - almost perfect cover, a little cleaner, but I love the original artist too.
“We are only gonna die” - much better then the original, but the original was a shitty DIY recording, so it was easy to make sound better.

2 Likes

@T_dub @JPHaggerty @John_E

There are no rules when it comes to art that’s what makes it great. Nothing needs to be changed. And as an appreciator of music often times I am just as impressed by the producer Quincy Jones, Gamble and Huff and so on as often times the iconic sound was more derived from them rather than the the person signing.

It’s why I like what I like and it’s never a wrong answer except when I was bullied when I was younger based on what I was listening to… that’s a whole other story lol

There is also a reason so many songs are written based on the same four chords it’s pleasing to the average ear and will be consumed en masse.

@John_E There’s an old joke that asks:

What’s the difference between a rock guitarist and a jazz guitarist?”*

Answer:

“A rock guitarist plays three chords to a million people and a jazz guitarist plays a million chords to three people!

LoL

5 Likes

Another great moment out of that show - this song was from an album they took a big chance with, pivoting from indie guitar rock to more experimental indie electronic. And this just works great - keyboards, light drums, bass, and some repetetive shoegazey vocals that just work.

https://youtu.be/j7w2_YEq00Q?t=2023

1 Like

@tdub You know you have made it in the pantheon of pop culture when Weird Al parodies one of your songs, many artists have stated it’s a real honour to have him create a parody from one of their songs.

I guess what they say is true “imitation is the highest form of flattery”

And here I am trying to string 8 notes together and call it a scale LOL

2 Likes

To this I agree completely.

1 Like

@tdub There is even a scene about this in the movie High Fidelity… "Mitch Rider and the Detroit Wheels? NNNOOOOOO!!! no not nevermind you tell me whats wrong with the Righteous Brothers, Nothing I just prefer the oth… BULLSHIT!!!..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc3TYIIpOZM