"Share some good music" Friday

Pretty relentless, that chick!

1 Like

Here is nothing less than a Concerto for Bass (guitar). Well, isnā€™t that about as pretentious as it gets!? Perhaps, but the concerto is an age old format to highlight an instrument. And this one here is staying fully in the well-trodden three-part form, with a slower, ballad-y part sandwiched between two up-tempo parts. And, some virtuoso bass playing, for sure!

Even if you donā€™t want to listen (to the entire thing), try to check out the LeFay fretless with the stainless steel fretboard the guy is playing in the second movement (from about 2ā€™50) - wicked!

Happy Friday!

PS: oh, and heed the caution given on the YouTube site: listen to this with your headphones on or else you donā€™t hear much of the bass!

PPS: even a pro like Anton here is suffering from a case of flying pinky :grin:

2 Likes

Four albums with just her and her (very accomplished) drummer now, while being Marty Friedmanā€™s bassist, and being in two side bands.

And yeah, each album gets more slaptastically ferocious.

2 Likes

That is a wild looking fretless - no headstock/tuning pegs?! Pretty slick.

Then he whips out his other bass in the middle of it all (5ā€™30)!

1 Like

Funky Friday! I was looking up some funk riffs at work (shhhā€¦) and stumbled upon this. :slight_smile: A new-to-me Earth Wind and Fire groove.

1 Like

Damn! She is ferocious!

Sheā€™s totally my slap hero.

1 Like

Kiyoshi Manii live with Marty Friedman and band. Wait for her to start singing Higher Ground.

3 Likes

Yeah she has an awesome voice too! And totally knows how to work the crowd. And of course Marty Friedman makes for a decent backing guitarist :slight_smile:

(manii isnā€™t her last name, itā€™s used like ā€œmaniaā€ and ā€œmanicā€)

Good interview of her if anyone is interested:

3 Likes

Also: I want her bass. Custom Streamer Stage II that Warwick makes for her.

2 Likes

Yeah, the tuning on these is done at the ā€œbridgeā€ basically.

Itā€™s when the third movement starts (back to uptempo) :smile:

3 Likes

Whatā€™s not to love about this? Well, perhaps the flat screen tv in an otherwise perfectly retro room - I deal in retro homewares etc so I tend to fixate on these things.

5 Likes

Ooh, nice, thatā€™s one for my brother - thanks!

You mean like a hoarder?? :joy:

3 Likes

No, it just looks and feels like that.

(but yes)

3 Likes

That carpet. No.

2 Likes

Nice!

In another style (way more muddy/distorted) I have this one playing since yesterday.
(I HAVE to learn/invest to get this bass tone :star_struck: )

3 Likes

Sounds like octaver + reverb to me. Or maybe a really deep chorus + reverb. Sounds awesome.

1 Like

I still have very little knowledge on pedals and other signal modifiers, Iā€™ll have to fall in this rabbit hole very soon. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s funny, I was listening to REZN yesterday.

2 Likes

Itā€™s fun! :slight_smile:

Multieffectors let you test the waters pretty easily too. Plus if you buy them used they hold their value ok - I sold my latest one for a profit. And I miss it so I am looking for used deals for another, lol.

3 Likes