"Share some good music" Friday

Wow, keen eyes, good memory!! Yes, that is Sebastiaan Cornelissen, who @peterhuppertz is good friends with (as I found out this morning).
Bass player is the same as well…

2 Likes

I own that (Gong) on CD. But I suppose you knew that.
At 1:10 in, extraterrestrial magic starts to happen.

2 Likes

Yep :grin: In vinyl too, I bet!?!

1 Like

Even if it’s not my favorite genre, these guys are really good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Super cool.
That fluid, conversational, shredding constant 1/16th note phrasing is glorious.
What a killer bass/drum team!
How do you know them, @peterhuppertz??

2 Likes

The fact that we’re all Dutch helped (although Sebastiaan lives in Germany). I know Frans only through Sebastiaan, though, and see him at gigs.
Frans is a stellar player. Very precise too.

I ran into Sebastiaan when I was seeking out some of his music; there was a Youtube clip I liked very, very much, but which wasn’t available on any release.

This features Oscar Schulze on vibraphone and percussion; all other instruments are played by Sebastiaan.

What also hugely warmed me up towards him (yes, I can be sentimental, and yes, I do have a sense of humour) was this:

The melodica, which appears as a serious instrument on most any of his releases since 2015, made its debut on this track. It has since been replaced by a somewhat more serious instrument, a Hohner with a three octave range.

A guitar player whom he had worked with gave me his contact details. I got in touch… and we hit it off immediately, not only in terms of musical preference, but also on the bro level.
I also pressured him to include that track on his next album.

4 Likes

I did, for years.

But I am one of the few who is firmly convinced that there is no technical merit to vinyl. I did away with my Thorens TD160 over two decades ago, and got rid of my record collection.

In terms of investment, that last step was about 15 years too early. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I dug up something.
Some of you may remember Icehouse, a synth pop band from Down Under, best known for their catchy tunes, among which their breakthrough single, “Hey Little Girl”.

This, however, is somewhat different. Very atmospheric. Also, excellently tasteful work on fretless by Guy Pratt.

4 Likes
1 Like

Nice, @howard - I like the mood and rhythm variations; quite symphonic!

So, what style is this now?? I need to learn - I am obviously way behind on learning all these many styles, and the differences between them… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Picked up a great suggestion by @jazmo1999: Alphonso Johnson

1 Like

Richie Kotzen with the awesome Dylan Wilson on bass and the fantastic Mike Bennett on drums. Great show:

1 Like

Here’s a great tune from one of my drum heroes, Stanton Moore:

I hope you enjoy!

Side-note: Stanton recorded this album entirely live in the studio with no overdubs and no headphones.

2 Likes

Syberia is very post-rock :slight_smile:

Slightly post-metal on some of their stuff.

1 Like

Awww yeah.

2 Likes

I just gotta jump in here - I was on a tour and the band I was in ended up doing Jam Cruise - a cruise / festival with (mostly) jam bands.
One night Stanton lead a jam session and I sat in on upright.
I didn’t know any of the tunes they were calling, but Robert Walter (organ badass) called out changes to me, and I just played bass with a grin ear to ear for about 15 minutes while Steve Berlin and Skerrik shredded saxophone.
Tour and life highlight, for sure.

6 Likes

Not the version I’m used to but still wild

1 Like

Whoa, that’s amazing!

1 Like

@Gio and @TK-421: y’all might enjoy yourselves some Bobby Previte then!?!

Amazing brushwork!

2 Likes

And it’s ANTIFRIDAY again! :grinning:

What if we mixed Black Metal with… African-American spirituals? :metal::crazy_face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggE3OwlPIYc

1 Like