"Share some good music" Friday

Hey BassBuzzers… I’m so stoked on this jam today that I’m gunna double post it. I know I’m a day late, but what with Valentine’s Day and all, I ran out of time.

Here is the debut single from my new band, Bronze Medal Hopefuls. I wrote the tune, and made the video. I’m REAL stoked on the video, y’all. Hope you enjoy!

Bass nerd details:

It was all tracked live to tape on my MIM 50’s reissue P-bass with a ton of foam under the strings at the bridge, straight into a 60s B-15.
Roundwound strings, .105-.45 - D’Addario Nickels.

EP will drop in March, and hopefully another single before then.
Enjoy!!!

13 Likes

I think I’m a band name nerd. love this one ! :star_struck:

3 Likes

Haven’t listened to it yet (I am at a concert right now), but you know you own this thread when you share your own music :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Very nice, @Gio . . . sounds very smooth and polished :+1:

Wishing you continued success with your new band :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I asolutely LOVE it @Gio! The video shows the story that the music is describing… Pure harmony in all regards…

3 Likes

Really awesome Gio. On both the music and the video. Although it’s a different style of music, with the video, I was having flashbacks of the Daft Punk cartoon saga thing (if you know what I’m talking about). Do you ever play with a singer or is it just instrumental? Not that that is a bad thing, just curious.

3 Likes

Oh maaaaan… I can deal with this! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks all!!

No singer. I tell (usually improvised) stories before each song, and that is our vocal contribution. Otherwise, in the grand style of MMW, The Meters, Booker T, and other luminaries… instrumental.

5 Likes

I loved everything about that, @Gio. I especially loved that you got Jack Black to be the space pirate. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

@Josh was mentioning Steve Harris’ gallop.

That made me think of Lee Jackson’s gallop. I think Steve Harris was 12 or 13 when that happened. Listen to Lee Jackson’s gallop.

I binged on this music when I was 11 years old! Thanks Mum! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome Mum!

Reminds me of another “gallop” - Deep Purple’s Space Trucking with Ian Paice’s single hand rolls… (the gallop fun starts around the 3 minute mark):

2 Likes

Right on! I love everything about that. Did you animate the video? (edit: why yes he did! amazing.)

So you know - perfect band name for a Japanese tour for the Tokyo Olympics. Just saying :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh cool. yeah really liking Russian Circles, haven’t gone too deep with them yet though.

3 Likes

happy friday (no) to all my 'buzzian friends ! :partying_face:

2 Likes

Love these fellas.
Love the album they did with Pijn!!

2 Likes

everything is perfect in this tune, the sound, the groove and the name: “PAIN AU CHOCOLAT”, it could have been “chocolatine” or even the evil’s “croissant au chocolat” but NO, it was also right! :grin:

3 Likes

I know it’s not Friday yet (it’s not, is it?) but I had to share this now while I remember.

Check out the Mongolian 2 string dragon-headed bass/cello that accompanies the 5 string. Everything about this is low.

Also; nerd out on the Star Wars connection.

3 Likes

That game is awesome and the soundtrack is great.

2 Likes

“croissant au chocolat” would have been way too transgressive for a funk tune. you need at least some post-hardcore for such a title.

Oh yes I just realized you posted in on the thread about the best 2019 records ! great one indeed !

Also I love a mapple fretboard Precision like the bass player uses. not a big fan of the all-white scheme but I love the fretboard.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s past midnight in Australia, and close to midnight in Japan… :grin:

Always wanted to share some Charlie Hunter - somewhere in his career he must have gotten pretty fed up with bass players :rofl:

2 Likes