"Share some good music" Friday

5 Likes

I just checked with a translator and the word was stronger than what I though :blush: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Haha, donā€™t trust the translatorā€¦ trust your stomachā€¦ I think ā€œblessedā€ can be used in various shades or degrees, and I totally understood what you meant :grinning:

Andā€¦ I didnā€™t mean to make fun of your English! That would essentially just back-fire, as English isnā€™t my native language either :laughing:

1 Like

no problem :grin: itā€™s just that I was thinking about a meaning like ā€œluckyā€

2 Likes

Yeah, that is what I thought! When youā€™d talk to someone directly and used ā€œblessedā€ in this context, youā€™d probably say it with a twinkle in your eyes, indicating that you know the word is a bit ā€œover the topā€, but it is more funny, and that you are teasing the other person a bitā€¦

Alright, back to music :grin:

itā€™s friday every day when youā€™re quarantined ā€¦ :grin:

2 Likes

Yes, I think Iā€™m also the type that listens to the music itself more; in a lot of music, I canā€™t even understand what theyā€™re saying with the lyrics, until I google the lyrics. Then it can add a nice layer of making the song better or richer (or not!).

We are quite lucky to have you both, and other non-native English speakers on here, and, honestly, I donā€™t even notice, your English is just fine. I was the first in my fam to be born in the USA, so I had a chance to learn another language sometimes spoken at home growing up (Marathi, a language in India), and I grew up in TX and took Spanish in high school - but I never actually became fluent in either! Why? Because for some reason, we donā€™t have to here, kinda, sad! Our elementary (primary) schools ONLY teach English, and even that, maybe not so well :joy:

And realistically, I only speak proper and non-TX accent English if in a professional setting, the rest of the time I drawl, or thereā€™s a lot of slang, or improper usage! Heck, English isnā€™t even our language, it comes from England, lol. So, Iā€™m always actually impressed the times Iā€™ve been overseas, and take it for granted that pretty much the whole rest of the world learns English as a second language!

Anyway, didnā€™t mean to ramble, what I love about good music - itā€™s universal. Doesnā€™t matter what language the creators speak :musical_score: :notes:

4 Likes

This. Iā€™m always hesitant to look up lyrics. There have been just as many times that it made it better as times it made it unlistenable.

1 Like

I totally agree with this @terbā€¦ And I believe I understand what you are saying.

Sometimes I think people confuse lyrics with languageā€¦ For me (with music) I do listen to the lyrics since the tone expressed in each (no matter the language) is a musical note that plays into the composition - and tells a story or expresses a feeling.

I grew up Catholic back in the 1950ā€™s where all massā€™s were spoken and music sung in Latinā€¦ A beautiful language that I learned in both Catholic school and as an alter boyā€¦ I use to speak the language quite well many years ago when it was the language of the church (until the church became totally Americanized). All I remember was the beauty of the songs that were sung in Latin. Not the same thing sung in English. The hymn ā€œAve Mariaā€ comes to mind.

Even here in the USA where we have numerous variants of the English language, music too takes on a different sound when the same words are sung byā€¦ sayā€¦ a New Orleans native and a native from Brooklyn.

Having spent a few years working on the South Texas (Brownsville area) border with the Federal Government, I became totally immersed into the Latino genre of music. Beautiful to listen to and understand in itā€™s native language - totally messed up if translated, played, and performed in Englishā€¦

I love and enjoy listening to songs in other languages. As for learning the (native sung) lyrics,ā€¦ yes, but only in the context of the native tongueā€¦ Like how a child learns to understand a language (by comprehension) - not how an adult learns (by translation).

5 Likes

Same here, but I wasnā€™t an altar boy, @Lanny . . . :slight_smile:

Spooky that you and I have so much in common :wink: lol

Cheers, Joe

4 Likes

Yea!!! Totally agree @Jazzbass19 Joe!!

3 Likes

Liz Fraser, one of my favorite singers, is nearly impossible to understand and her vocals are primarily an additional instrument. Sometimes she literally sings gibberish or made up languages. And it is gorgeous.

Their bassist, Simon Raymonde, is one of my own inspirations as well.

@terb - Caro Tanghe says Liz Fraser was a big influence for her; I believe it:

4 Likes

One of these years (pending survival of the ā€˜virus threatā€™ :roll_eyes:), Iā€™m going to have to get down there and have a drink with you! :tumbler_glass:

:grin:

Cheers my friend, and hope youā€™re doing well

3 Likes

Cool!! Might even be able to talk @eric.kiser into it too - heā€™s about a three hour drive north of meā€¦:grin::grin:

4 Likes

in the everyday-is-a-friday-when-youā€™re-in-quarantine mood :

4 Likes

another one ā€¦ did I ever mentioned Iā€™m a big big fan of Caleb Scofield ? ā€¦ yes I did ā€¦ :grin:

@Lanny I agree with you, 100%. for me the lyrics are an instrument, like any other instrument. I think itā€™s even a good thing to not understand ā€œeasilyā€ the lyrics : for almost all the music I listen to, the lyrics are in english. I can understand english, but as itā€™s not my native language, I donā€™t always understand the lyrics spontaneously. I like this. if I donā€™t choose to do the effort to understand, it just sounds like an instrument without any meaning, and thatā€™s fine. if I choose to understand the lyrics (often I have to read them) then I have the meaning. thatā€™s cool.

to go a little bit further, Iā€™d say that, people who ā€œneedā€ to understand the lyrics to like music, are people who just donā€™t like (/understand) music.

bonus : in the Stupeflip song I posted, as an example, they say ā€œcaisse claire qui claqueā€ (which means ā€œa sparkling-sounding snare drumā€) and this thing sounds like ā€œK- K- K- K-ā€, itā€™s a big part of the flow, the very incisive way those guys sing. love it.

4 Likes

Iā€™m in the mood to share something nobody would ever share :grin: but those Amiga 500 chipsets sounded really (really really) good and the song itself is just an excellent composition. also I love the idea that the guys made some sort of hard rock with a MIDI computer. itā€™s kinda crazy but it works.

4 Likes

This is cool, @terb! Brings back a lot of memories, too! For me, it goes back even to the Commodore 64 and it was quite amazing what sounds they coaxed out of the 64ā€™s little sound chip (the SID). And just imagine, the work to program all thatā€¦ e.g., that song that you shared - mind-boggling :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I think it depends on the intentions of the artist/composer/performer. Yes, in some of the examples that you guys showed here the vocals are more of an instrument, which can make interesting sounds, and the actual words (if there are any) donā€™t really matter. But, there are also people like Bob Dylan or Lou Reed for whom the words must be the main thing. At least, that is what I assume, because Bob sure canā€™t sing :sweat_smile:

And sometimes, lyrics and music work together so well, like a symbiosis. Like Jon Anderson, for example. Most of his lyrics are somewhat esoteric, dense, weird even - but fits great with his timbre, his melodies, what and how he sings. At least for me! And actually, when I sometimes look more closely, and find that some Yes song actually has fairly mundane lyrics, I am a bit disappointedā€¦ because somehow I want the music of Yes to be like weird dreams and ethereal experiences with some other-wordly flavors, like their album cover paintings. Luckily, most of the time, they deliver.
Or take Sting: great wordsmith, great ā€œeyeā€ for metaphors, and often his lyrics have a deeper and meaningful ā€œmessageā€. But, yeah, even Sting has the occasional ā€œdee-doo-doo-doo dee-da-da-da, is all i wanna say to yaā€ moments; go figure!

But, I agree with you all: no matter what, translations typically canā€™t do these lyrics/language-based sounds any justice - if at all possible, listen to and enjoy songs in their native language.

4 Likes