"Share some good music" Friday

@Gio and @joergkutter I would be curious to know what you think ! I think my favorite Elder album is the first one, Dead Roots Stirring. also I really love the Gold & Silver Sessions.

1 Like

I’ve got some painting to do, and the album review above sounds like PERFECT painting music. As for Elder - I’m so in love with the last two records, that I’d be hard pressed to decide. Right now, Omens is getting my vote.
I loved the Gold & Silver Sessions, but that album has moments for me, with some long stretches of loose jams - while Omens feels like the composed, considered result of the thinking and styling that went into the G&S Sessions.
The album previous - “Reflections…” is also just so dang good.

They’re also the ones I’m most familiar with. I’ve gone through the back catelog, but not that extensively. I feel like they flex their jazz/prog muscles more as they go. I’ll go back to Dead Roots Stirring and give another listen. It was those tracks that got me into the band intially, so I know I love it.
I’ve just been so wrapped up in their more recent material.

5 Likes

I think what I like about Omens above is how they still manage dense layers of shoegaze-like noise while being prog.

3 Likes

Since we are talking prog, my favorite prog-like discovery in years was ironically from Muse. They do more diverse things stylistically than you might expect, and their second album has a prog masterpiece on it:

It’s pretty accessible for prog but I still love it.

2 Likes

Back to post-rock/metal for some space rock:

3 Likes

I will certainly look into this at some point, @terb! But - probably not entirely surprising - I hadn’t heard of Elder before, so “Omen” is my first encounter with them. And, somehow, I don’t want to listen to their other albums just yet… lest I be disappointed, I guess… :crazy_face:

3 Likes

One of my favorite bands (Ikebe Shakedown) covered one of their recent B-sides from their homes during the stay-at-home. Been meaning to post this one for a while. I had just told my friend the day before that I hoped all my favorite bands were safe, but still collaborating on new music, then this came up on my thread the next day.

1 Like

Let’s have some fun.

Make sure to also watch the credits at the end.
SCHNAPPY DAS KLEINE KROKODIL

1 Like

And some more fun and INSANE BASS SKILLS.

2 Likes

@TNKA36 reminded me of this in another thread:

I am pretty much fully in agreement with @gio here… despite my earlier reservations, I have started to explore their back catalogue, and the Gold & Silver Sessions is really cool too (it is really a pity it is only an EP).

@terb: I have only once so far listened to Dead Roots Stirring - it is good too, but it is perhaps more “heavy” than the other two records, and perhaps I am not “ready” for that yet :grin: I find the sound of Omens just a bit “warmer”… hard to explain, really! But, as said, I only listened to it once so far… and I am also still missing Reflections… and Lore, if I am not mistaken!

Good stuff though! I already ordered an Elder T-shirt from their webstore…

nah, just kidding :rofl:

3 Likes

yeah Omens is more progressive stoner/rock and Dead Roots Stirring is a pure psychedelic stoner album

1 Like

you totally had me. You did.
I was so stoked for your shirt.

2 Likes

Another Kiyoshi How To video. Like the other one, her slow slapping and chording to show you how is still way way beyond my terrible slap skill :slight_smile:

original song:

2 Likes

Friday afternoon, nearly alcoholiday

3 Likes

i know it’s not friday anymore but i really want to reccommend this:
Ventre is a band from my country, Brazil, and this is one of their greatest songs.
absolutely love the bass in this song.

2 Likes

Great stuff @notaenthusiast, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Another band rocking a Shamisen. This one’s pretty much guitar hero rock.

Solid bass solo in there too. Two drummers!

“Wagakki” means “japanese musical instrument”, not sure if it’s the actual name of the band.

when sludgecore is going a bit extreme …

it’s a french band by the way. the name of the album, “pudeur”, means “modesty” (in a “shy” way).

1 Like

That’s a lot of reverb :slight_smile:

1 Like