Share Your Favorite Bass Lines!

This came on autoplay on YT. I’d never heard it before. Life is being synchronous to me today…

Nice! That’s really cool how the crowd recognized it after 2 notes.

1 Like

Love the Talking Heads - Tina Weymouth is amazing. Psycho Killer is a standout bass line in my book.

7 Likes

Yes! Just played Burning Down The House at cover band gig the other week, so fun.

3 Likes

me too! it’s one of my ring tones!

Yes! I love Tina and Talking Heads and Tom Tom Club!

3 Likes

That is awesome!

1 Like

Would have loved to see that!

1 Like

Yeah, I should get in the habit of filming footage of gigs one of these days… Not that I would have filmed this one, since it’s the same gig with the pet peeve keyboard player I just told the story of over here - Possibly my top pet peeve on a gig... (what's yours?)

1 Like

Let me know if you ever have a gig in Atlanta. We’d love to come see you perform!

1 Like

Anthrax

5 Likes

That’s a sub bass on there right? -1 Oct Down. Sounds like a chorus in there too?

1 Like

I’ve got to be honest, I’ve always been a Bowie fan. He lost me on occasion, but I’d always listen to the next album and every single one pushed a different path. For me the Spiders were one of the great bands of the seventies plethora of British bands that influenced whole generations of us. Trev Bolder was amazingly nimble but so solid. Tricky walking patterns intermingled with 1/8 note runs.

3 Likes

Ooooh so clacky!!! Didn’t know he played with his fingers, that’s pretty impressive to pull off that thrashy kind of stuff like that.

Me too! I love so many Bowie records from so many different Bowie eras. I don’t think anything tops Let’s Dance for me, but I do love Heathen, The Next Day, Blackstar, and all the old classic stuff like Hunky Dory, Space Oddity, etc.

1 Like

Josh, yes, he is crazy! He has some type of an all bass collaboration coming out.

1 Like

Muff, love Bowie too!

2 Likes

yes. so awesome.

Ooh neat! Please share here if/when it comes out.

I was noticing who does and doesn’t use picks. I haven’t gotten to the part of B2B that talks about this. Very interested. Is it mostly a matter of how much definition you want and whether you are on stage or not?

1 Like

I think the pick approach is all about if you like the sound. There are places where it sounds great, places where it sounds not so great. I LOVE playing with a pick. But I can’t do it on a country gig, or on a lot of music where the writers / songs want a softer attack.
But punk and metal? Sign me up with my pick.

Also - in the right hands, a pick can be as funky as funky can be:

7 Likes