Share Your Favorite Bass Lines!

I didn’t really understand attack, until last night. I was messing around with the new rig, and pulled out a pick. I get it now. I want to learn both styles. It will come in handy. Carol Kaye can’t be too wrong. :wink:

2 Likes

Well put @Gio and @asantora! And love that Bobby Vega video, I watch that like once a month. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, Gio, I love that video too. So much going on there, right? groove, expression, articulation, spacing (whatever those things mean).

Which reminds me, have you all read Victor Wooten’s The Music Lesson? Maybe this should be another thread?

2 Likes

Great book - definitely fuel for another thread there.

2 Likes

I’ve been ripping on that Bobby Vega riff for a bit now. Its got a bit of everything in there for pick use. Nice one!

2 Likes

Another old favorite of mine, out of many Jamiroquai lines that I love:

Particularly love the line one minute in, so harmonically simple yet melodic. Gotta love a minor triad arpeggio!
5 Likes

I’m pretty much a pick man although not many people notice! Because I play Dub I go for old strings with the tone wound down through an old Viking 50W valve head into a 18" bass reflex with a 15" + horn on top. You can’t really hear it standing next to it but around 10’ plus away it’ll make yr knees wobble. What you can’t hear is the initial attack of the pick cos I play over the neck join. Best described as “plummy”. I use a brass metal pick made by Teckpick, they don’t wear and they don’t kill my strings - Rotosound RS66S (40-90) on my EB0 and the RS66 (45-105) on my precision. Sorry, way too much information?

6 Likes

Great information. Now just link us to a recording, already. That sounds like a very cool, super deep vibe!!

2 Likes

I have rehearsal recording but I’m not allowed to post on soundcloud although I’m totally willing to send them via WeTransfer if that can be done? Lets see… Ask Josh for help maybe? Need an email to send them to.

1 Like

Wow, I’m jealous of your surface area, having toured with a 2x10"+tweeter for the last few years…

Cool setup, I wanna hear that too! Why can’t you post a Soundcloud link?

1 Like

My favorite for the past couple years was The Clash’s Guns of Brixton. I LOVE this line, and the drum line too!

I actually signed up for your course with a goal of playing it after the course is completed. Will it be possible? :stuck_out_tongue:
From the recent stuff - really love what Parquet Courts are doing and this bass line in particular:
1 Like

One of my favourite lines, of course you’ll be able to play it! Practice is all.

1 Like

LOVE Parquet Courts.
Great thing to bring. Love the Clash too - that band is a catalog of killer, effective bass lines.

1 Like

Agree with this @chk1st, not too challenging at all, just cool and melodic!

Gotcha @muff, I thought you meant you were having tech trouble posting soundcloud here, which shouldn’t happen. It actually auto embeds really nicely if you put it on its own line, just like Youtube links.

Love how subby your tone is, I can only imagine how it is in the room!

1 Like

It is truly earth/stage and everything else moving. As I said, I can’t hear a great deal close up but anyone in the firing line can usually feel as much as hear it. I play it with a -1 Octave down too if I need a bit more grind.

1 Like

I’m babysitting tonight, England lost again to Belgium, I was gutted. I placed Hejira on the deck, (one of my guilty secrets.) I have to say how profound the whole is. Uplifting and thoughtful. And, the bass. What do you say? If you haven’t heard it, I suggest you do. It’s an emotive piece of work.

1 Like

Why is Hejira a guilty pleasure? That album is freaking amazing! Joni Mitchell + Jaco + Pat Metheny? Madness. My absolute favorite instance of creative bass work in a “singer-songwriter” (ish) context.

7 Likes

Not anymore, but you know this came out the same year as punk? Lots of my ex-mates would take the piss. Thankfully left school in '77 with an explosive music scene. It was brillig. I only just found out there are up to four tracks of bass on some of the songs. I can definitely hear two but it’s bloody masterful.

3 Likes

At around the same time as Hejira was this:

Bass is Percy Jones.

Ha, never thought about that. Nevermind the Bollocks, here’s Joni Mitchell. :laughing:

Love Brand X! Saw them live a few months ago. Percy is still killing it. Weirdest bass player ever, maybe. :slight_smile:

1 Like