Share Your Favorite Bass Lines!

Yes. Unique? Kev Hopper (Stump) is way up there too. He’s worth checking out on YT. Took the weirder elements from Percy Jones and John Giblin and ran with it.

1 Like

Ooh, nice pull! I actually am hip to Stump! My bass playing uncle turned me onto them ages ago. For anyone who’s not aware…

Love his bass playing!
2 Likes

Stump?
I feel… better knowing this is out there…
These missing links are what it’s all about.
Gang of 4 was like that for me.
It was the missing thread through time for all of the 90s music I liked… This seems to put some Primus into perspective for me.

2 Likes

sorry for the delayin replying…had to do nonbass things for a few weeks. I don’t really get everything you said here, but it’s really interesting to me. I am really looking forward to trying playing with a pick. I didn’t even know there were brass metal picks. what other materials are they usually made of and why? what are the qualities from different types of picks?

I get that too. As I get older the threads show more and are probably easier to pick at. Leaving school in '77 was a lucky present really. In England the melting pot was bubbling over and from the initial (press/media led) outflow we ended up with crossover everything. I seem to have gone full circle (many times and am still holding on out there).

3 Likes

Okay, that’s a hard one, pun totally intentional! Picks can literally be made from anything. Stone,Wood, Plastics, Metal, Felt! They can range in size and thickness. Git uses a thin cellulose type pick, I loaned one once and destroyed it in minutes! You really have to see whats best for you. I often make my own. I find an old credit card is quite a handy thing for the gigbag, the raised lettering makes them quite grippy, good in a sweaty club. Teckpick make my favourite metal one and I just find that the brass works for me. Dunlop are hugely popular and make an amazing range of picks. A quick google of it will probably do better than I.

4 Likes

For me a long time favourite is Orion by Metallica on Master of Puppets
I think that, as a spotty teenager, it was the first timeI could hear the bass line and thought that’s the instrument for me😁

4 Likes

Such a great reference and song. I spent HOURS playing that on bass and guitar… and didn’t know that the parts I learned as a guitar solo were actually bass until much much later.
All hail Cliff.

3 Likes

That’s one of my goals to learn once I’ve completed the course
I’ve been a big fan for years and couldn’t possibly confirm or deny any knowledge of how a huge “Cliff Burton RIP” appeared spray painted on the outside of my High School gym hall wall back in late 1986🤫

7 Likes

LOVE THIS.

2 Likes

Haha that’s amazing!

1 Like

So I was driving to an appointment and Layla came on the radio. I think that of all the times I heard this song this was the first time I really listened to the bass. It’s really cool and just holds the song together! I found this on line. I think this guy does a great job and you can really hear the bass line.

1 Like

Twisted by Skunk Anansie (Richard “Cass” Lewis) is one of those bass lines that “move” me, that wasn’t already here :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_snkaWn0og

3 Likes

The original line of “white lines” from Grandmaster Flash. Iconic…

3 Likes

Or then this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uheicyt8jbs
What can you say?

2 Likes

Yes, that really gets in your head! I love it! I also like when you can hear the bass. That is a good way to present the sound that you like.

1 Like

A bouncy, ultra cool, yet “simple” (easy?) one, Cannonball by the Breeders:

7 Likes

This bassline showed up just as I was getting deep into the electric bass. This and the song Blue, by Smashing Pumpkins:

• the bass lines sounded so cool! I thought they would be impossible / tricky / whatever.
    They ended up being simple to play and totally not satisfying. It was an early lesson in how much the recording and the tone and the band and the energy of the recording had to do with a bass line being super cool - not just the notes.
2 Likes

Sorry, cannot stop :smile:

Blur - Girls and Boys (with tab)

5 Likes

Keep it going, I love it! And I’m learning too!

3 Likes